JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Really going to invigorate the garden boxes.

Someone posted the other night that they were only going to buy items on sale at the grocery store or at least when they go on sale stock up.

2 of 3 kids have moved out so we are adjusting buying habits so that we don't end up with spoiled vegetables. Now is a good time to incorporate being thrifty.

I'll be eating a lot more cabbage and potatoes, probably zero meat I didn't kill myself. Might get back into baking my own bread. All because i clearly cannot be trusted to stick to a gun budget, so cuts gotta be made somewhere.

I'll be eating a lot more cabbage and potatoes, probably zero meat I didn't kill myself. Might get back into baking my own bread. All because i clearly cannot be trusted to stick to a gun budget, so cuts gotta be made somewhere.
That reminded me that I have a bread machine. Damn thing made GREAT bread. I got lazy when the great plague hit and I started working long days and long weeks. Had forgotten about it. Will have to dig it out of the moving boxes and look up the recipe again and fire it up.

That reminded me that I have a bread machine. Damn thing made GREAT bread. I got lazy when the great plague hit and I started working long days and long weeks. Had forgotten about it. Will have to dig it out of the moving boxes and look up the recipe again and fire it up.
We might have to start the NWFA Barter & Trade...

Bread for vegetables or rounds.

Really going to invigorate the garden boxes.

Someone posted the other night that they were only going to buy items on sale at the grocery store or at least when they go on sale stock up.

2 of 3 kids have moved out so we are adjusting buying habits so that we don't end up with spoiled vegetables. Now is a good time to incorporate being thrifty.
Speaking of sale items, I stopped by Freddys before hitting Safeway this morning and bought three 3lb chubs of 73% ground beef. Evidently I failed to clip the coupon in the app and ended up being charged $8.97 instead of $5.97 per chub. I am going to head back there in the morning with my receipt and see if I can get $9 refunded. Sale ended yesterday (Tue). If they don't refund me the $9. I will go home, grab the chubs and bring them back for a full refund. I have to get better at looking over my receipt before leaving the store. Freddys had Hemplers pepperroni sticks 2 for $1. They are near best by date. They seem much leaner than Tillamook pepperoni sticks.

Speaking of sale items, I stopped by Freddys before hitting Safeway this morning and bought three 3lb chubs of 73% ground beef. Evidently I failed to clip the coupon in the app and ended up being charged $8.97 instead of $5.97 per chub. I am going to head back there in the morning with my receipt and see if I can get $9 refunded. Sale ended yesterday (Tue). If they don't refund me the $9. I will go home, grab the chubs and bring them back for a full refund. I have to get better at looking over my receipt before leaving the store. Freddys had Hemplers pepperroni sticks 2 for $1. They are near best by date. They seem much leaner than Tillamook pepperoni sticks.
I have tried to learn to be careful with this. On a lot of their items you have to make sure you go on line (having an account tied to your card) and clip the coupon, and then of course make sure you enter your card at checkout. They also have a lot of sale stuff around the store now days where you have to use their card to get the sale price. So I make a habit of making sure I enter the card at checkout. It also earns points on gas which sure does not hurt. Other day when I filled up it knocked .30 a gal off. I am sure they are selling my info to god only knows who to do this but at this point I don't care about that. Pay for everything by CC so I am sure a lot of people know what I buy.

Is $9 really worth the fuel and time to bring them back to the store?

A lot of people have been complaining about fuel prices being high. Judging from the full shopping carts that I see in the stores I am thinking many people could make some tweaks in the grocery budget to more than offset extra fuel cost.

For me, if gas went up to $7 a gallon it would cost me an extra $140 a month in fuel cost over my 2021 average fuel cost. That assumes I didn't curb my driving habits.

Saving a $140 in my grocery cost would be tough given that I am already frugal with my budget. For those who buy lots of expensive low calorie products it should be much easier for them.

Last Edited:
Safeway has this deal starting today.

Screenshot_20220309-013859.png

I am stopping by after work so no extra cost of fuel there. If I have to make a trip to return items that will be a three mile round trip. That's worth the $9 to me. I average 30+ mpg in my Corolla.
I drive by a Freddie's both ways that is open both ways. I am trying to not be lazy and make my stops there then. For anything that does not need to be cold I can stop on the way to work. For cold stuff just need to make myself stop on the way home instead of being lazy and not wanting to stop. Not to mention I HATE crowds. Stopping on the way to work and on the way home the store has more employee's than customers which is nice.

I drive by a Freddie's both ways that is open both ways. I am trying to not be lazy and make my stops there then. For anything that does not need to be cold I can stop on the way to work. For cold stuff just need to make myself stop on the way home instead of being lazy and not wanting to stop. Not to mention I HATE crowds. Stopping on the way to work and on the way home the store has more employee's than customers which is nice.
I am lucky in that I have winco, walmart, freddys and Safeway all on my way home and I normally shop at around 7am. I hate crowds too.

Our kids are out and on their own, so it's just me and her. We always
plant a decent garden and Pam puts up a decent amount. Yesterday
I was out surveying around the place and have decided to increase
the garden size about double. I don't think that'll make much of a dent
on an annual basis but I'll feel better for trying. Otherwise I'm sure the
increase in groceries will cause some kind of modification to our food
eating habits.

I am not sure what it costs P/P.
I do know that we bought up a lot of meat back in the fall before hunting season.
Then I harvested a deer. Then we got some elk meat from friends. We have been eating out of the freezer for protein.
The weekly restock of fresh veggies and other small items seems to be running about $100.

We have 2 adults and 2 teens. Both are currently wrestling as well.
My boy eats everything unless it's hidden. I have to stash my treasured snacks.

We have 3 raised beds. One has been growing kale since the fall.
We will start planting in a few weeks and plants the beds on a rotational basis. So there's a little bit of everything coming in from late spring all the way through fall.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top