JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am so angered and disgusted with the families, after all we did for them that they would turn around and sue for millions of dollars. I want them to mail my 100 bucks back to me. That's my 2 cents, what do you all think?

Personally I am disgusted also. No one should have to go through a loss like those families did. But in no way should they get a single dollar from the county. Sadly the USA has become way to sue happy.

RIP Officers...:(

Do I understand this correctly?

Man murders 4 LEO's.
Man gets shot and killed by another LEO later.
The family of the man who murdered the 4 LEO's now wants to sue the LEO that killed him?

If that's correct..Case dismissed,and punishment has been served. :s0155:

It's stupid, I guess it wasn't apparent from earlier post.

It should get tossed out, not like that guys' going to need the money where he went.

On one hand I can see why they would want to sue to get policy changed to try to prevent any others like Maurice being released from jail to kill police. On the other hand asking for nearly 150 million dollars after receiving over 2 million dollars in donations from the community was the wrong way to go about it in my opinion.

<broken link removed>

Pierce County will not be sued by the families of three Lakewood Police officers killed by a gunman last fall.

The families had announced their intention to seek tens of millions of dollars in damages from the county, saying the deaths of the officers should have been prevented by more closely monitoring the man who eventually killed them.

Maurice Clemmons was in and out of the Pierce County Jail four times last year prior to his attack on the Lakewood officers at a Parkland coffee shop. Both in person and in phone calls made from the jail, Clemmons threatened to kill law enforcement officials. In one such call, Clemmons said he'd act on his anger by the end of November. The shootings happened November 29th.

The families claimed the jail should have been monitoring those calls and paying much closer attention to Clemmons. They say the threats could have been reported to Washington State Department of Corrections officials, who could have intervened. Clemmons posted bail and left the Pierce County Jail for the last time on November 23rd.

In dropping their lawsuit, they say the issue was never about the money, but changing monitoring procedures and improving public safety. Kelly Richards, the widow of Officer Gregory Richards, told Q13 Fox News, "We thought we were doing something to protect the community, but it doesn't appear to be what the community wants. So we are abandoning our lawsuits. We are eternally grateful for the generosity of the community. We don't want to take anything from them or any other officer."

Kim Renninger, widow of Sgt. Mark Renninger, says she didn't want to "take a dime" from Pierce County. Renninger says it was about repairing a system that she sees as broken. "We see a flaw, and we're trying to put a spotlight on the flaw and fix it. I love and support this county, but I want it a safer place for my kids and families."

In claims made public Thursday, the Renninger and Richards families detailed plans to seek $58 million each, the family of Ronald Owens $18 million. They were joined by the family of Officer Tina Griswold late Thursday, saying they planned to seek $48 million in compensation.

Initial reaction within Pierce County law enforcement to the potential lawsuit was one of shock and anger. Sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer called the claims "a kick in the head." Troyer said it would cost millions of dollars to provide real-time monitoring of phone calls made by prisoners at the jail, many of whom, he says, often make threats against police. Renninger says the change families seek is to make sure top-level threats, like Maurice Clemmons, are monitored more closely.

As of late Friday, the family of Tina Griswold had not announced plans to either officially file a lawsuit, nor back away from their claim.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top