JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Appendix carry? Do you have a death wish? No way. Even with an empty chamber no way. You will eventually forget. Do you want to shoot your balls off? Shoot through a big artery and just have time to realize and understand that you have just killed yourself? Yikes!!

I speculate that's mostly sarcasm. I will never forget to keep my finger (and other objects) off the trigger until needed. If you have a good holster, properly functioning firearm, and obey the basic rules of safety we've all learned (I hope!), appendix carry is no less dangerous than any other carry.

And has advantages carrying elsewhere doesn't. If you watched that video (or similar) in the first post, many such points are covered. The only dis-advantage I've had is sometimes it's a little uncomfortable driving for long periods with it in that spot.

Oh, and how does one have a negligent discharge when there's not one in the chamber? I think that's the one component that has to be there. (I assume you mean the firearm and not your other gun. :) )

Yikes Indeed ...

Not sarcasm? Please do not tell us again you NEVER MAKE MISTAKES and will NEVER FORGET to keep your finger off the trigger. Next you will probably tell us you use a Block ... er ... Crock ... er ... Glock? Next you will say you are Vulcan and Vulcans never make mistakes? Yeah. Sure. OK. Have it your way. I am making fun of you. Perhaps you need it.

Sarcasm. Not to be taken too seriously but with some. I am only human. I will make mistakes. That is why I carry a Springfield Armory XD Tactical .45 acp 5" barrel in blue finish with the ambo thumb safety. Also a grip safety. Also a striker safety. Also the so called safe trigger. Also a loaded chamber indicator. Also a cocked striker indicator. Still not enough safeties.

Post to be taken tongue in cheek. I am also poking fun at me.

My firearms, as I figure most do, also has several safety features. But the best safety is the one between our ears.

I don't claim to never make mistakes, but when it comes to something that could kill/maim, avoiding one gets top priority.

I can't think of a situation where my finger would be on the trigger of a loaded firearm unless I'm ready to fire. Does that mean it's impossible to happen? No, and I'm sure people with greater skill and wisdom than I have done so. None of us are perfect.

I can't predict every possibility, but with good practices, very very unlikely to shoot myself or any other unintentional target.

re: Vulcans, hating on Glocks, saying you're making fun of me... Sounds more like ad hominem than you actually responding to the topic. I'm far from faultless, but you don't know me well enough to have a valid opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have start carrying aiwb.
It took a while to get comfortable, but now it's the only way I carry.
Pretty comfortable and I think it hides better.

It takes getting use to but once you find the sweet spot it is plenty comfortable. I have worn my Dale Fricke Archangel for well over 48 hours, that included plenty of seated time while driving and sleeping with it on.

It without question hides better than strong-side IWB or OWB, particularly if you are in close proximity with people and a bump-frisk (intentional or not) is a very real possibility.

Bottom line:
Carrying a firearm covertly is a balancing act between comfort and concealment, just the way it is. No one answer is correct everyone but this is what I have found...

The priority being concealment (assuming equal quality of rig)...OWB<IWB<AIWB
The priority being comfort (assuming equal quality of rig)...AWIB<IWB<OWB

Regarding shoulder holsters:
I consider them a niche holster much like ankle and pocket holsters. They have their place but not as a general purpose everyday carry rig. They tend wear on the shoulders and neck after an extended periods of time, unless the pack piece is a 442/642 or similar. Want to talk about flagging? Forget AIWB, shoulder rigs are the KING of flagging both, yourself (unless you make considerable point to raise that offside elbow) and bystanders, think about it and tell me I'm wrong. FYI, I've have considerable time and money into shoulder rigs. My preference is a duel weapon configuration over one with extra mags, I find that balance wins the day here. I consider them appropriate and use them when long drives or if other seated duties for long-end hours are on the menu, low back is acting up and normal waste-line carry is too painful or for a quick trip to the store and don't feel like getting out of sweats or shorts. @Jonnyuma watch out for fat guys in sweat pants.

Last Edited:
Oh, and how does one have a negligent discharge when there's not one in the chamber? I think that's the one component that has to be there. (I assume you mean the firearm and not your other gun. :) )
Lots of people have been shot with "unloaded" firearms. It wasn't until after the negligent dishcharge did someone realize it was loaded. Basic firearm safety dictates that a responsible gun owner treat EVERY firearm as if it is loaded and to NEVER point a firearm at anything you don't want to risk destroying. The latter should provide a pretty solid answer to anyone, aside from Bruce Jenner, considering appendix carry.

Sure, it's a re-hash well-done here, but one of those subjects that just won't die.

One of many videos I recently watched....

Me, it's about the only way I carry. After a couple years of daily carry, just seems to work for me.

View attachment 503161

I carry appendix most of the time. Just use a good fitted holster, don't carry with a Glock reduce power trigger, and practice finger discipline so you don't shoot yourself in trouser bits. I only carry appendix with a thumb safety or a long hard DA trigger in the striker variety. You can trigger a Glock by re-holstering if your shirt gets caught in the holster: I also recommend practicing pulling the holster away from your body when you reholster so you can tip the muzzle away from your legs. Don't try to reholster appendix while sitting in a vehicle. My best advice.

I only do it with my tiniest gun - a Kahr CW380 at about 1 o'clock. I own this gun for maximum-concealment situations, and AIWB is the most concealing place to put it, especially when I'm going to be hugged by relatives.

All my other guns, including a Glock 42, won't work AIWB for me - just too uncomfortable.

Sure, it's a re-hash well-done here, but one of those subjects that just won't die.

One of many videos I recently watched....

Me, it's about the only way I carry. After a couple years of daily carry, just seems to work for me.

View attachment 503161
If you like it, fine, but as an old fat man I find that it pokes me in the belly when I sit down, so it is not for me.

If you like it, fine, but as an old fat man I find that it pokes me in the belly when I sit down, so it is not for me.

Drop it lower. I have carried AIWB since about 2008, during that time I have weighed up 285lbs at 5'9". The trick is to get it below the roll but above the leg/hip crease. The closer to the body centerline the longer the barrel or lower the holster/gun can be the further from the center the opposite is true.

I have also found even with short barrel I'll op for a longer holster to help prevent the rig from wanting to roll over the top of the belt, example: I'll carry a G26 in a G19 holster.

I prefer OWB at 3 O'Clock if carrying one of my 9s. If I'm carrying a .380 mouse gun, then right front pocket will do. Appendix carry is just too difficult when sitting down or driving.

I'm a big fan of appendix for concealing a good sized piece with minimal risk of printing, and I'm comfortable putting Roscoe there for that specific need...but for long hours, I keep gravitating back to strong side hip IWB carry. There's just something about that meaty hip bone and donut love shelf that seems to allow for IWB carry in much greater comfort (or less discomfort) for me than carrying in appendix.

My fave holsters for IWB are the Milt Sparks Executive and Crossbreed. Sort of like Beauty and the Beast I suppose. My favorite appendix is by far the Incog- but it MUST include the mojo and two belt fasteners. I prefer the balancing effect of two belt attachments, rather than the popular single belt hanger.

Thank you to all who carry. You may well make a difference when gentle people need your help.

Rick

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top