JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have always liked this type of what if questions because it makes me aware of who might be and who might not be prepared for a bad situation, perceived or not.

We all feel it could never happen yet if you would have told us a hand full of guys with box cutter would take out the twin towers with hijacked planes we would have laughed at you, before it happened!

No one expected Japan to bomb Pearl Harbor in 1941 but they did.

If someone told ya that a couple guys in a rental truck would bomb the Murrah building in Oklahoma we would think that you where nuts as well, but it happened.

How about if I told you that Russia and China would be stronger players in the global community over America? Well this too has happen.

So to say a Red Dawn event could never happen and we are childish to talk about it (or at least hinting that direction) to me falls in line with all the above in that nobody thinks it will happen until it does.

We assume that no country would ever do something that stupid but we know what bubblegum-u-me makes out of you and me.

I like these threads for the fun factor and to see everyone else's choices.
You get to see a lot of cool items and guns.
But really they are just fun.
Because a real answer would be way to long to post.
Too many details and "what ifs" as it were ...

Regarding planning and preparedness , you need to think of many different plans.
In my first post I mentioned two choices of rifles for me.
Which is great if WW III , a zombie outbreak or any other disaster strikes while I'm at home typing a reply.

But what if I'm out and about or at work?
Many of us carry or have gear of some sort in their car.
I have a emergency kit in my jeep , but no guns . I wouldn't want guns to be stolen if my jeep were broken into or the jeep stolen itself.
As for carrying , how many of us carry our favorite rifle with us everyday and every where we go?
I can't even carry my handgun at school , I can just imagine what would happen if I carried my rifle ...

Many are also married or involved with family.
How mobile and prepared are they?
How willing are you to give up things that you deem valuable? How do you pick and choose what you keep or toss aside?
What about all of your friends and neighbors who ask for help? Or may even try to steal your stuff ?

It is real easy to be tough through a keyboard , but these choices I mentioned , don't even begin to scratch the surface for things to consider.

You need to not only plan , but be adaptable to changes , 'cause life in general, and definitely life in any sort of disaster will not be following your script or plan.
Andy

I like these threads for the fun factor and to see everyone else's choices.
You get to see a lot of cool items and guns.
But really they are just fun.
Because a real answer would be way to long to post.
Too many details and "what ifs" as it were ...

Regarding planning and preparedness , you need to think of many different plans.
In my first post I mentioned two choices of rifles for me.
Which is great if WW III , a zombie outbreak or any other disaster strikes while I'm at home typing a reply.

But what if I'm out and about or at work?
Many of us carry or have gear of some sort in their car.
I have a emergency kit in my jeep , but no guns . I wouldn't want guns to be stolen if my jeep were broken into or the jeep stolen itself.
As for carrying , how many of us carry our favorite rifle with us everyday and every where we go?
I can't even carry my handgun at school , I can just imagine what would happen if I carried my rifle ...

Many are also married or involved with family.
How mobile and prepared are they?
How willing are you to give up things that you deem valuable? How do you pick and choose what you keep or toss aside?
What about all of your friends and neighbors who ask for help? Or may even try to steal your stuff ?

It is real easy to be tough through a keyboard , but these choices I mentioned , don't even begin to scratch the surface for things to consider.

You need to not only plan , but be adaptable to changes , 'cause life in general, and definitely life in any sort of disaster will not be following your script or plan.
Andy

So true.... the best of plans go south at times. So have multiple plans back up plans

Weapons choice? That will vary also pending the plan. But if our plan goes south .....

308, 223, shotgun,
1911's in 9mm and 45.
Deploy as needed!
LMAO!!!

Be careful of the Prius you are about to over run. It might be wearing an NRA sticker. It could be me! The Prius in the right hands is the perfect urban camo'd vehicle. Fill it with all manner of shooty and explody things and the PC Police will still wave me right on through. LOL. Besides,sometimes my Prius only gets 50mpg! It can cheaply get me home to my 450hp semi pickup truck all tricked out with crash bars and cannons. Thanks. Fun thread.

The Prius also makes a great platform for a mobile radio shack as its basically a DC generator that can move itself.

Y'all keep forgetting that there are a lot of really nice 4 wheeled garden wagons that are rated for half a ton and could carry all of my gear except the long gun in the other hand.

It's a huge IF that I would leave my property but IF that happened then I'll need a cart of some kind because I have a wife, daughter and 2 little dogs that couldn't pack out thier share so to speak.

That and where would I go? Living in the suburbs and all the people around me, my plan is to hunker in, baracade doors and windows and start making kill zones with furniture...

Scenario: You wake up and Red Dawn has come to your neighborhood. Commies are parachuting down. You go to your gun safe and prepare to go engage the enemy. What do you grab?

I always tell myself that the reason i bought a Steyr AUG, 454 Casull, and 30 other tactical ninja badass operator weapons is so that I'd be ready for Chuck Norris style, urban gurilla, Patrick Swazey hardcore, commie slaughtering action.

Looking in my safe last night i realized that I'd grab my Scoped AR10, CZ75B, and a toad stabber of some sort. Going with the 308 round for knock down power over the 223. Pretty much everything else in my safe is glorified cock jewelry.

Lastly, id probably only need to take a few mags with me with the harsh realization that I'd be absolutely no match for a trained soldier.

So question of the morning is, how do you arm yourself for fighting the commies on your home turf?

Game on!

A Che t-shirt & a copy of Steal This Book.

I think the more heavily populated and area, like anything north of Springfield will have major issues. The long open highways from Corvallis to Salem would be impossible so north of that would be a militarized zone pretty quick. Other out laying areas, south and east of Eugene would be where the public affects would be much slower. Where I live there are resources but enough to sustain a short time here. Traveling here to make out big would have one arriving at empty homes and shelves. I would say 99% of people here would stay put as this whole area is armed well per-populace. But smaller homes would vacate. You can picture opportunist people and sadly the more of them the higher defense would be. Portland and Salem well you couldn't be armed well enough to get out thats my take as you simply could not carry enough ammo to deal with it.
Best would be to bugout ASAP of pending SHTF. Like within minutes not hours.
If this was a natural disaster I think it would be even worse as yet again most north of Eugene would be hard pressed to have easy bugout access. Just to many waterways and bridges to hope are intact. The more south you go it tends to separate east /west but up north the ground would be a north / south access issue. Its for that reason depending where you live you may not be able to carry allot and is again why I mention the SKS, many have said some great firearms but 99% of the answer require extra parts to be practical. I am not saying today if war broke out I would want the SKS but if SHTF its about the only easily cleaned,maintained, self contained option. The fixed magazine is what is a huge selling point for my choice and the 7.62x39 that if its the ruskies or china would supply all we would need. :) th?id=OIP.M639492e5c55f21559216f6674f6f8a7cH0&pid=15.1.jpg

1) I don't like to publish what I may or may not have ever had prior to my ocean going kayak capsizing over the Challenger Deep. Leviathan reads this too.
2) The most likely adversary would be China. Their current rifle is the QBZ-95 in cal. 5.8x42mm so all those AKs and SKSs do not have caliber commonality. They would be a good choice in that most of the people who read this board probably have ammo for them.
3) I am 68 yrs old and physically FUBAR so plans for the extended future are not too practical. I would hope to live long enough to expend my first magazine, and since I would be shooting carefully I could probably sell my life for more than my immediate value as an infantryman.
4) If the adversary is the hordes of larval democrats, diseased illiterates, and other assorted savages, fanatics, and general Uentermenschen currently spreading by infestation my life expectancy improves and the right implement would depend on the specific situation. See #1 above.
5) My degree is in Professional Gunsmithing so my value to the Amerikanischer Volk is as something other than a rifleman.
6) Better to perish in the Freiheitkampf (Freiheit = freedom and Kampf = struggle or combat) than survive to see defeat. Freiheit uber Alles!

I agree that no one can plan for everything and we all think we are invincible and can save the world (mall ninja) but as AndyinEverson said you need to have many different plans. It may be a "what if red dawn" but the info could be used in what if natural disaster.

The things talked about in a "what if question" may seem farfetched but I look at it as brain storming and I might read something that might make sense and I could use and to me they are fun.

Most of us are law abiding and so we have to plan for different problems within the law this may mean we carry an axe or heavy walking stick in the rig instead of a rifle, you learn multiple routs home from work instead of the same one every day and even the best walking path vs. driving. You look for water sources that many folks drive by every day unnoticed like fountains and fish ponds and you carry a basic get home bag with a filter straw and some survival essentials. Being prepared should be the norm even per the CDC and FEMA for natural disasters as well as the Zombie apocalypse.

http://blogs.cdc.gov/publichealthmatters/2011/05/preparedness-101-zombie-apocalypse/

I have multiple fire arms that are better suited depending on the application like a good shot gun for duck/geese a 308 for deer and elk and my favorite AR/AK for shtf. I look at what people post and to see why they would use a particular gun and what caliber to see what would be good for possible trade and availability.

So personally I would like to see more "What If Questions" but that is just me.

Yup, what's the plan? Shelter in place or bugout? We talked about this in another thread. But IMO what to pull out of the gun safe depends on the situation. Personally, I'm also FUBAR physically. So I am going to shelter in place until I'm either dead or have to chance fighting my way out. But in a general SHTF collapse or the Zombie apocalypse I don't want to be up in the hills where my family is prey to roving bands of thieves, or an assortment of a**hole killers. Zombies are bad enough, but people are more dangerous. I have armed friends on my block... safety in numbers vs being on your own out in the hills.

If China or Korea attacks, I will bug out immediately to the hills or fight my way out. Take freeze dried food, a backpack stove, and a water purification filter! Living in the mountains with other escapees divides up scarce natural resources.

The old adage of guerrilla fighting is to steal your weapons and ammo from the enemy. Sooo, not much need to worry beyond what I need for the first few engagements or to fight my way out:

Bolt action sniper rifle: My scoped hunting rifle in .308 for long range fighting
Lightweight AR15 with ammo and 30rd mags for mid-range fighting
Mossberg 500 combat shotgun (8rd) and 50rd bandolier with slugs and buck for street fighting up to 100yds.
1911 and Glock 34 for close range fighting
AR15 SBR for house clearing
Ruger 10-22 with solvent trap for mountain survival and sniping
An assortment of survival knives and my lightweight all steel throwing axe for general usage/camping

Looks like I am going to have to take the wife with her .410 and .357 if I leave the block cuz I can't carry all this stuff! Sure wish I had a RAZR, Ranger, or John Deere! Guess my 1ton 4wd diesel dually will have to do.

:s0004:

Last Edited:
Yup, what's the plan? Shelter in place or bugout? We talked about this in another thread. But IMO what to pull out of the gun safe depends on the situation. Personally, I'm also FUBAR physically. So I am going to shelter in place until I'm either dead or have to chance fighting my way out. But in a general SHTF collapse or the Zombie apocalypse I don't want to be up in the hills where my family is prey to roving bands of thieves, or an assortment of a**hole killers. Zombies are bad enough, but people are more dangerous. I have armed friends on my block... safety in numbers vs being on your own out in the hills.

If China or Korea attacks, I will bug out immediately to the hills or fight my way out. Take freeze dried food, a backpack stove, and a water purification filter! Living in the mountains with other escapees divides up scarce natural resources.

The old adage of guerrilla fighting is to steal your weapons and ammo from the enemy. Sooo, not much need to worry beyond what I need for the first few engagements or to fight my way out:

Bolt action sniper rifle: My scoped hunting rifle in .308 for long range fighting
Lightweight AR15 with ammo and 30rd mags for mid-range fighting
Mossberg 500 combat shotgun (8rd) and 50rd bandolier with slugs and buck for street fighting up to 100yds.
1911 and Glock 34 for close range fighting
AR15 SBR for house clearing
Ruger 10-22 with solvent trap for mountain survival and sniping
An assortment of survival knives and my lightweight all steel throwing axe for general usage/camping

Looks like I am going to have to take the wife with her .410 and .357 if I leave the block cuz I can't carry all this stuff! Sure wish I had a RAZR, Ranger, or John Deere! Guess my 1ton 4wd diesel dually will have to do.

:s0004:
You can come hang out with me. ;)

I would say that is the best meathodology there; safety in numbers.

I'd bet there are at least 100 members here within 5 miles of my house. How to go about organizing and vetting those people has always been my conundrum.

That's why God invented BBQ.

I suppose that if I absolutely had to go and shoot something , I'd use my Hawken copy ,'cause I know that I can hit with it just about every time.
if I wanted to live for more than a few minutes , I'd use my C.Z. 557 carbine in .30-06.
As a side note I hope to never have to employ my skills as a combat rifleman ever again.
Andy
You and me both, Brother!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews