JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Distance = Armalite Ar-10, CQB = my soon to be, FDE 300 Blackout, Close up = my trusty .40

20160302_153506.jpg 20160302_153723.jpg
Blackout is ALL Done! (almost) I milled out the 80% lower and got it all put together, except the trigger guard. still have to do my custom paint on it.
20160324_130552.jpg 234197-806ff01b2365bb4f9f69850c87e40ca3.jpg

Last Edited:
FN/FAL or M1A or M1 Garand! Hard to beat a good proven fighting rifle! Never much cared for the smaller rifles like the AR for all round work, but they have there place. For me, these rifles make a good light weight back up and I keep a few because they are about as much as the wife can handle with ease! Any rifle thats handy at the time would work for me. But my preference would be one of the first three with the FAL in the number one spot!

So an observation I often have about popular prepping strategies: any
'survivalist' worth their salt will have to remember what I think is a survivalist imperative: observe and adapt. So yes one has to ask all the what-if questions, possible scenarios, preferred plans/modalities versus necessary plans/modalities, and secondary and tertiary plans/modalities; but one must also account for not just what you know you don't know, but what you don't know you don't know, right? And if one puts a priority on being able to adapt, in my opinion, I think it raises your preparations by a magnitude.
Following from having adaptation as a fundamental part of one's mind-set, then it follows about have redundancies: one is none and two is one. This doesn't necessarily mean having more gear, but choosing gear that has more than one application, and/or having more than one role in one plan.
As per usual, I can over-think things, but I don't think anyone would argue against being adaptable. It's taught in any type of survival class, and is entirely applicable to a SHTF scenario.

Last Edited:
'survivalist' worth their salt will have to remember what I think is a survivalist imperative: observe and adapt. So yes one has to ask all the what-if questions, possible scenarios, preferred plans/modalities versus necessary plans/modalities, and secondary and tertiary plans/modalities; but one must also account for not just what you know you don't know, but what you don't know you don't know, right? And if one puts a priority on being able to adapt, in my opinion, I think it raises your preparations by a magnitude.
Following from having adaptation as a fundamental part of one's mind-set, then it follows about have redundancies: one is none and two is one. This doesn't necessarily mean having more gear, but choosing gear that has more than one application, and/or having more than one role in one plan.
As per usual, I can over-think things, but I don't think anyone would argue against being adaptable. It's taught in any type of survival class, and is entirely applicable to a SHTF scenario.
Reading this just killed my buzz:confused:

This is exactly why I happen to have a lot of different gear :rolleyes: Granted; I have NOT heard of a Hi Point carbine breaking internal parts, or becoming inoperable. Stocks, I can see...being flexible plastic. (not gonna stop me from trying to get a 2nd one eventually for parts lol) It's also why the guns I have... happen to be on the simple, rugged and old designs..... a Ruger P series from the 80s, a 1950s JC Higgins model 20, a late 90s Remington 870, and the aforementioned Hi Point 995 carbine.
I used to have a Russkie SKS with ammo and gear for it.... that one was awesome, but I needed the money during the price boom for those SKS...... Now... my best friends have simple bolt actions, and one has a hi point 45 pistol... other one has a 9mm Glock.... between their families, and mine.. we aren't quite tactical. Of the bunch, I am probably the closest to being a "tactical looking guy", what w all my customized gear and surplus equipment and one black carbine LOL

The primary plan is to shelter in place with family south of Salem . I feel bad for my brother, he's going to have a hard time getting out of PDX where he lives and works...
The secondary plan is for family to retreat to a family friend's place out in the country when necessary, hopefully not after the SHTF.
The tertiary plan is to do stealth retreating to other locations when necessary, should it be too late for the secondary plan.

Yup, I won't know what gear I need out of the gun safe until the situation hits. And tho I agree with the concept of having dual purpose gear that is easier to carry on a foot retreat, for sheltering in place or for leaving in a vehicle, I plan to take as much gear and ammo as I can and "appropriate" whatever else I need from dead folks or enemy troops. :eek:

Secondary question is what gear to have in the gun safe, eh?

I agree Camodeafie. My EDC is a Ruger P85 and is outfitted with 'combat' strength springs (Wolff) throughout. It's a tank and reliable. I tend toward tried and true time proven designs and builds. My regular hunting/camping gear is a 'cowboy double' a Marlin 1894 and Ruger SBH in 44mag. I think FAL's and M14's are the premium battle rifles, but in lieu of funds to get a M14, my LR308 is as grunt-proof as it can be, i.e. fixed stock, one piece scope mount/rings, stock hand guard, and some internal upgrades like hardened flatwire recoil spring, etc. For me, having confidence in my gear has got to be high, but only really gets there with the commiserate training and skills to match. I spend less time and money on gear now and more on acquiring and honing skills and strength. Don't get me wrong, I love new gear, but I don't have the resources to keep buying the supposed 'latest and greatest'.
In the end, as a survivor of my share of hardship and challenges, attitude and adaptability has always proven to be part of any prevailing strategy in any situation, as much as the "7 P's" (Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance)

I would grab my .264LBC for long range work. My custom Glock 21 or one of my 1911s or better yet my Glock 17 and my AR9 that takes the same magazines. I would purch myself on top of my watch tower blasting " Hank Williams Jr.":D and smoke a big bowl!

I think the more heavily populated and area, like anything north of Springfield will have major issues. The long open highways from Corvallis to Salem would be impossible so north of that would be a militarized zone pretty quick. Other out laying areas, south and east of Eugene would be where the public affects would be much slower. Where I live there are resources but enough to sustain a short time here. Traveling here to make out big would have one arriving at empty homes and shelves. I would say 99% of people here would stay put as this whole area is armed well per-populace. But smaller homes would vacate. You can picture opportunist people and sadly the more of them the higher defense would be. Portland and Salem well you couldn't be armed well enough to get out thats my take as you simply could not carry enough ammo to deal with it.
Best would be to bugout ASAP of pending SHTF. Like within minutes not hours.
If this was a natural disaster I think it would be even worse as yet again most north of Eugene would be hard pressed to have easy bugout access. Just to many waterways and bridges to hope are intact. The more south you go it tends to separate east /west but up north the ground would be a north / south access issue. Its for that reason depending where you live you may not be able to carry allot and is again why I mention the SKS, many have said some great firearms but 99% of the answer require extra parts to be practical. I am not saying today if war broke out I would want the SKS but if SHTF its about the only easily cleaned,maintained, self contained option. The fixed magazine is what is a huge selling point for my choice and the 7.62x39 that if its the ruskies or china would supply all we would need. :)View attachment 280878

Do you really want to be fighting a semi-professional army with an average rifle with an effective range of 200 yards?

Don't get me wrong, I dig mah SKS but I am too old to out run a bunch of commie youngsters promised all the poon they can handle if they take that running dawg capitalist village....

I want to make them duck for cover at more than 200 yards. Then, scoot, and repeat until they get me or I "get to the chappa!" As Arnold would say.
I plan on bugging in if I am not on the mainland, then is GHB and night movement to the coast to get back to mi casa!

Brutus out

Last Edited:
I agree Camodeafie. My EDC is a Ruger P85 and is outfitted with 'combat' strength springs (Wolff) throughout. It's a tank and reliable. I tend toward tried and true time proven designs and builds. My regular hunting/camping gear is a 'cowboy double' a Marlin 1894 and Ruger SBH in 44mag. I think FAL's and M14's are the premium battle rifles, but in lieu of funds to get a M14, my LR308 is as grunt-proof as it can be, i.e. fixed stock, one piece scope mount/rings, stock hand guard, and some internal upgrades like hardened flatwire recoil spring, etc. For me, having confidence in my gear has got to be high, but only really gets there with the commiserate training and skills to match. I spend less time and money on gear now and more on acquiring and honing skills and strength. Don't get me wrong, I love new gear, but I don't have the resources to keep buying the supposed 'latest and greatest'.
In the end, as a survivor of my share of hardship and challenges, attitude and adaptability has always proven to be part of any prevailing strategy in any situation, as much as the "7 P's" (Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance)

I had an LR308B in my hands the week before Newtown, and the cash and the spousal unit said wait....well, Newtown happened, she lost her job and other priorities meant an AR was the only affordable BR before they made them illegal. I do think the M1 Garand is still very viable, if I could afford one or an M1A!

A very good reason the Russians quit making SKS's in the early 50s, except for conscript armies that need lots of bodies to be effective like Chinese, etc. Jungle warfare yeah, It's not a bad rifle but there are a dozen better options for battle rifles IMHO these days. I like the DPMS gen two but I'd also like to build an M5gery but again, $1,000 plus .308s are still out of my budget for now.

Brutus Out

Last Edited:
This is exactly why I happen to have a lot of different gear :rolleyes: Granted; I have NOT heard of a Hi Point carbine breaking internal parts, or becoming inoperable. Stocks, I can see...being flexible plastic. (not gonna stop me from trying to get a 2nd one eventually for parts lol) It's also why the guns I have... happen to be on the simple, rugged and old designs..... a Ruger P series from the 80s, a 1950s JC Higgins model 20, a late 90s Remington 870, and the aforementioned Hi Point 995 carbine.
I used to have a Russkie SKS with ammo and gear for it.... that one was awesome, but I needed the money during the price boom for those SKS...... Now... my best friends have simple bolt actions, and one has a hi point 45 pistol... other one has a 9mm Glock.... between their families, and mine.. we aren't quite tactical. Of the bunch, I am probably the closest to being a "tactical looking guy", what w all my customized gear and surplus equipment and one black carbine LOL

The primary plan is to shelter in place with family south of Salem . I feel bad for my brother, he's going to have a hard time getting out of PDX where he lives and works...
The secondary plan is for family to retreat to a family friend's place out in the country when necessary, hopefully not after the SHTF.
The tertiary plan is to do stealth retreating to other locations when necessary, should it be too late for the secondary plan.

I think unless the "zombies" have some hefty firepower you and your buddies are going to be able to hold off with bolt actions the average ad hoc gang of scavengers. Several milsurp WWI type guns firing volley or even close together in 3-4 seconds will take the fight out of bottom dwelling raiders. Multiple plans for multiple scenarios is the way to get ready. cause bottom line, all past history becomes history when SHTF or TEOTWAWKI happens.

Brutus Out

Last Edited:
PS - Brutus, I am holding you directly responsible for the upcoming hours I'll be wasting on these videos!

Yes, you warned me.

But to quote the n00b in the videos - "I don't care". LOLOLOL!!!!!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top