JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been wondering what semi-automatic firearm is your most trusted choice for a self defense weapon whether it be for carry, home, car/truck, whatever. A gun that you have NO DOUBT that will fire a full magazine without a malfunction of any kind.

And capacity & caliber NOT being a factor.

As far as a semi auto goes....
My Colt Series '70 Government Model sure works well.

Like any firearm...
It would be wise to figure out what load works the best with it...
And how to shoot it well.
As a general rule this takes practice...lots of it.

With that said , the most trusted thing you should have for self defense is yourself.
Self awareness of just what you are willing to do and how to do it ...
Plus situational awareness ...
Are two factors needed for successful self defense and for life in general.
Andy

P365 would be my choice as of late. Pretty darn good all around. PLENTY of reliable tools out there, if your in WA pronounced (wah!) And stuck with 10 round crap I mean cap. You might as well get a pocket pistol anyway unless you kinda need a bigger grip size.

But yeah like stomper I second pretty much every one of those.

My carry is a p30 as well. LOVE that gun and the extra safety's esp. with the LEO v3 funky trigger. Super safe. I like CZ's too but the metal frames like 75 are pretty heavy (like the B 92) I wish I had more time with their new plastic fantastics like the 07/09

Would LOVE to try a glock 30(I think the .45 is?) Custom Setup for a compact Roland/Rowland setup.

Also generally if its NOT reliable, if you take time to understand it, pretty much any of them can be made pretty dang reliable. Unless metallurgy just plain sucks *cough*Bersa*

Modern firearms just plain work, that being said some are picky about ammo but when you find the ammo the gun likes they work just fine. So to answer your implied question, My truck gun is a Glock 22, my concealed carry is a M&P 40 shield. Open woods carry sticking to just Semi-autos would be my Sig 220 in 10mm. Again sticking to just semi-autos I really like shooting 1911's. Any of the mentioned firearms I trust 100% so there is no which one do I trust more.

Good OP question and agree with @oremike that most new guns just run...with FMJ ammo. I've met many folks who carry that have either never shot any of their defensive rounds or only a few because of the cost. I get it, not cheap. But some guns that run fine with FMJ will choke on hollow points and other types of defensive ammo.

Case in point, Colt 9mm Commander. Hundreds or FMJ rounds downrange with not a single hiccup. Would not feed about every third round of carry ammo. It's going to have several more boxes of hollow points run through (now that it is back from the smithy) it before it goes into a holster. 100 have been good so far.

M&P's run for me. I was in a high round count class where mine was the only gun without a single malf in over 3,000 rounds. What I do find amusing is when you hear someone talking about how reliable their (fill in the blank with name of gun here) is, when you saw it gack out three times at the last match.

I wouldn't keep a gun that was anything but 100% reliable. That said, I wouldn't trust my life to a rimfire firearm unless no other option was available but that is due to my experience with rimfire ammunition.

Everyday carry is a S&W Shield. Outdoors, a CZ75-SP01 as backup to my rifle.

I keep a Hi Power for home defense. It may be a parts gun but it hasn't jammed in the 23 years since I assembled it. It's the definition of reliable.

Though these days my carry pistol is an old H&R hammerless in .32 s&w. Reliable, concealable and I just get a kick out of carrying it.

I've owned a Smith and Wesson model 645 for nearly 35 years and remains primary service/defense sidearm - never experienced a malfunction.

My PSA carbine has proved very reliable thus far but I only have a few hundred rounds through it; it's my go to rifle but for tried and true go bang every time reliably my M1 Garand is king of the hill.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top