JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
upload_2019-4-7_1-1-10.jpeg

When Wife and I moved last year some family helped. They already thought I was a "little strange" since they know we own guns. When I was packing up ammo I got a few sideways glances. <shrug>
When asked I told them we had just gone through a major "shortage" of most ammo. Did not go into reasons just that for a couple years it was hard to find at "normal price". I said we could shoot any time we wanted because I was ready.
I keep minimum of 1K for each center fire ammo except 9mm. 9s I keep at least twice that since a lot of it is burned for "fun". Of course I can roll my own and I keep plenty of what I need to roll any of these if need be so good there.
.22 ammo before this last panic I always kept at least 10K at home. After how bad this last one was I bumped that up to 20K now. I shoot weekly and .22 is always part of the fun. All during that long panic shortage it was nice to be able to just go to the range any time I wanted. Wife did not even know the great shortage was happening until a year and half or so into it. When she "heard about it" and told me, I had to laugh of course. Told her when you go to the range does our supply ever look low to you? I said we have plenty, and I have more coming weekly. She of course tried to help. Some of what she bought was fine. Some was a waste. Have several K of some of that Federal Value Pack 325 box stuff that my pistols do NOT like. It fires and feeds fine but damn stuff will not hold a group. Hey she was trying to help :) Have often told the Wife stuff will never go bad. When we pass the kids can sell any of it they don't want. If everything falls apart some day the stuff would make dandy barter commodity.

for me: practice/training and matches are the main reasons to stockpile large quantities. 1k per rifle doesn't seem excessive if you shoot regularly. rolling my own saved me during the ammo crisis too. meh, not a fan of 22lr though. :/

for defense etc... let's be real... if you needed more than a few loaded mags in a SHTF scenario almost all of us would likely die. i mean, how many 100+ round firefights would you really live through with only primitive medical care, little food and huge competition for wild game?

i have placed top 5 over-all in 3gun, but honestly if things went toytal MAD-MAX... i'd still most likely catch a stray bullet before very long and die of an infection despite body armor, great gear and way above-average skill/mindset , survival skills etc.

I try to keep at least 1500 - 2000rds for each of my primary calibers (5.56 & 5.45) stored, along with 4 loaded magazines for each at the ready. I usually keep ~500rds stored for my 9mm, and 3 or 4 bricks of .22lr as well. I keep my "stockpile" ammo stored separately from my range ammo, and I usually have around 1000rnds of rifle ammo for practice at any given time. For other calibers I don't really keep track, but I figure I have 3 or 4 boxes of ammo for each other gun I own.

Mine is a pretty modest stockpile compared to others, but hopefully I'll never even have to tap into it.

Lets see...
One pound of lead makes about 32 .530 round balls...25 bars of lead at 1 pound each , times 32 equals...
Waugh !
furgit about it...math is hard...
This Hoss is off to Taos ...Watch yore topknot....:D
Andy

That's a good point. Let's see...

I have about 5000 22 LR for rifles and pistols
300 for my .257 Roberts bolt action
5000 for my AR
1500 for my AK
1200 for my C308
450 for my 22 Hornet bolt action
Only 300 for my Makarov pistol
300 32Acp for my Nazi Walther PP
300 25acp Hide-Out auto
60 for my 303 SMLE Mk5 V
600 12 ga pump and single-shot
1800 9mm P-38, Astra 600, XDS
2500 45acp Colt Mk4 Series 70
500 38spl/357Mag

And enough primer/powder/bullets and so on to do it all over again - plus.

The Television news would say that I have and "arsenal"... lol

That's a good point. Let's see...

I have about 5000 22 LR for rifles and pistols
300 for my .257 Roberts bolt action
5000 for my AR
1500 for my AK
1200 for my C308
450 for my 22 Hornet bolt action
Only 300 for my Makarov pistol
300 32Acp for my Nazi Walther PP
300 25acp Hide-Out auto
60 for my 303 SMLE Mk5 V
600 12 ga pump and single-shot
1800 9mm P-38, Astra 600, XDS
2500 45acp Colt Mk4 Series 70
500 38spl/357Mag

And enough primer/powder/bullets and so on to do it all over again - plus.

The Television news would say that I have and "arsenal"... lol
Dude that's beyond an Arsenal, that's the army of a small country :eek:

Enough that I don't know the answer to the question. Now, granted, at one point I was kinda out of control on a couple calibers, but have been on a 6 month hiatus of buying bulk ammo and shooting. My 9mm stock IMO could use replenishing. I believe you get what you are comfortable having.To me, something I will reload and is large and low volume shooting in one sitting, (like 45-70) my number is substantially different from 9mm and .22. I did the inventory 6 months ago. Don't quite know how much I have right now, but I am confident that if push came to shove I have enough for me for a while.

My main calibers are 9mm and 5.56/.223. I'd say that when I get under a couple hundred of either one, that's my cue to rebuy. Any other calibers I just keep a few boxes on hand because they aren't my go-to calibers.

I may have already answered this important question. Getting very old here. Being very specific and exact ... only about 150 rounds of SP ammo for each responsible adult in our extended family and close friend group.

SHTF ammo. NOT practice or carry ammo. NOT plinking ammo. NOT school or refresher course ammo. Just SHTF grab and run ammo kept on web gear on one's person. USGI M1 Carbines. Ammo YOU CAN CONTROL.

Not all the stuff locked up or in storage ammo you will MOST LIKELY LOSE CONTROL OF ... AND LOSE ... DURING AN EXTENDED SHTF. Wildfire and no more home. Cascadia 9.0 earthquake and no town. Think it through.

Exact paragraph length fun to try but impossible to manage. Fun!! :)

For me, the absolute minimum ammo you should have is enough to fill every magazine you own. That said, you should buy and load as many magazines as you can :D

Loose rounds are good for the range, but loaded magazines are for where the rubber meets the road.

Instead of a round count, try filling 50cal ammo cans. It does not matter how you fill them. Boxed, loose, or loaded in mags... A good initial goal would be 10 cans.

Try to keep things balanced until, you get to around a thousand rounds per cal / rifle / pistol.
That will get your stash off to a good start.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top