JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Latest impulse buy:
P2190534.JPG

P2190531.JPG

Ruger Police Service Six, this is the .357 Magnum version. It's been 40 years since I owned one of these. They are a pretty good revolver, on the heavy side. About the same size as a Smith & Wesson Model 10 but a couple of ounces heavier. The hammer throw is longer than the Smith & Wesson, feels like a single action. It came with a suede inside the belt holster, too heavy for that kind of carry for me. I don't think it's been used very much. I'm not fond of the safety warning stamped in the bbl. but it is what it is. It's like buying a used car, when you see it sitting there for sale, if you decide to buy it, you get the color sitting right there in front of you.

The purchase of this gun may have been impulsive, but picking it up from Cabela's was not. That part was tortuous and maddening.

picking it up from Cabela's was not. That part was tortuous and maddening.
Totally agree. They have a computerized 4473, but the info does not upload to the OSP for BGC. The clerk must type in all the information I just entered.
The shotgun I just purchased took easily an hour for an instant approval. The clerk who entered my information in for the S&W Model 10 misspelled my name, so it was an instant hold. They had to do it again this morning.

Totally agree. They have a computerized 4473, but the info does not upload to the OSP for BGC. The clerk must type in all the information I just entered.
The shotgun I just purchased took easily an hour for an instant approval. The clerk who entered my information in for the S&W Model 10 misspelled my name, so it was an instant hold. They had to do it again this morning.
I'm surprised they didn't have you visually verify before hitting send. That's what they did for my last Cabela's purchase which was a good thing because they misspelled Sig Sauer. Don't know if that would have mattered but c'mon! It's right there on the slide!

Did you impulse buy a car?
Kind of. We were replacing an '05 CR-V with 137,000 miles on it, and were planning on looking at Toyota and Subaru too. And used. and I liked the idea of staying with Tonkin because they are close. Basically, I fell for the high pressure routine. Though I know we weren't likely to save any appreciable amount with a comparable car of the other makes. But I would have at least felt like I got kissed while being screwed.
New cars are really something these days, a bunch of crap a competent driver doesn't really need. And the extra 4 grand that gets added on above the sticker price. But then there was the extended warrantee. 10 years/100,000miles. Wifey wanted that. doesn't make sense though. That's why we buy Honda, or one of the others. They are well known for dependability.

Kind of. We were replacing an '05 CR-V with 137,000 miles on it, and were planning on looking at Toyota and Subaru too. And used. and I liked the idea of staying with Tonkin because they are close. Basically, I fell for the high pressure routine. Though I know we weren't likely to save any appreciable amount with a comparable car of the other makes. But I would have at least felt like I got kissed while being screwed.
New cars are really something these days, a bunch of crap a competent driver doesn't really need. And the extra 4 grand that gets added on above the sticker price. But then there was the extended warrantee. 10 years/100,000miles. Wifey wanted that. doesn't make sense though. That's why we buy Honda, or one of the others. They are well known for dependability.
Congrats. I think Hondas are great cars. We just sold our 2008 Accord with 170K+ miles. A friend's granddaughter is using it for college. It's still going strong.

I worked in the accounting department of a dealership for a short time. You're right about the extended warranty not making sense. If you saw how much of that payment you made that went directly to the guy who sold it to you, you would think it REALLY doesn't make sense. The other part of buying new is getting whacked on the trade-in. I took my mom in to buy a new Rav4 and they basically insulted her on the value of her Dodge Journey. I told her not to worry about it, pulled it from the transaction and sold it on Facebook for about 45% more than the dealer offered in trade.

One thing about the current environment, when my mom passed away, I found that her 6-year-old Rav4 with ridiculously low miles, had depreciated very little. I was actually quite shocked when I looked at Edmunds, Kelly Blue Book and NADA for some sort of a valuation for her estate purposes. I helped her, so she got a pretty solid deal when she bought it in 2018 - a 2018 Rav4 for $25,000 sale price less $2,000 factory rebate. So, she was out the door for $23,000. The current 'Private Party Sales Price from the three sources above were in the $21.5K to $22.3K range. I thought there was no way a car that was not quite 6 years old had only dropped one grand. I called a friend that's in the business and he said quality used cars are at a premium right now, because the cost of new ones is so high.

Last Edited:
We had an '07 CRV and I couldn't get rid of it quick enough. Honda is kind of dead to me.

Walther Q5 match 9mm. Not impulse but very happy to get it done before any potential m114 complications. For you guys that hate grip tape or cat's tongue, :s0121: this grip feels like it was custom made for my hand now. :) Polymer m2 version about 1/2 the cost of newer metal version.

CEE8CA2C-DE04-410A-B546-9DDAB07643E7.jpeg

Congrats. I think Hondas are great cars. We just sold our 2008 Accord with 170K+ miles. A friend's granddaughter is using it for college. It's still going strong.

I worked in the accounting department of a dealership for a short time. You're right about the extended warranty not making sense. If you saw how much of that payment you made that went directly to the guy who sold it to you, you would think it REALLY doesn't make sense. The other part of buying new is getting whacked on the trade-in. I took my mom in to buy a new Rav4 and they basically insulted her on the value of her Dodge Journey. I told her not to worry about it, pulled it from the transaction and sold it on Facebook for about 45% more than the dealer offered in trade.

One thing about the current environment, when my mom passed away, I found that her 6-year-old Rav4 with ridiculously low miles, had depreciated very little. I was actually quite shocked when I looked at Edmunds, Kelly Blue Book and NADA for some sort of a valuation for her estate purposes. I helped her, so she got a pretty solid deal when she bought it in 2018 - a 2018 Rav4 for $25,000 sale price less $2,000 factory rebate. So, she was out the door for $23,000. The current 'Private Party Sales Price from the three sources above were in the $21.5K to $22.3K range. I thought there was no way a car that was not quite 6 years old had only dropped one grand. I called a friend that's in the business and he said quality used cars are at a premium right now, because the cost of new ones is so high.
That CRV had been around, in the dirt and aged with potlands degrading street surfaces. All over up in The Tillamook mushroom hunting/exploring. Same with the Siuslaw forest. Suspension all needed rejuvenation I'm sure. It gentle curving highway bridges it would do a little hop crossing expansion joints. In all those years not one thing went wrong with it that needed repair. I very well might have sld it to someone for 4-5 K but, didn't want to take the time and mostly, didn't want to hand over a car to some that might start manifesting bad suspension issues.
We had an '07 CRV and I couldn't get rid of it quick enough. Honda is kind of dead to me.
I though that CRV was weird looking from the get-go. Weird shifter. But it was roomy and smart on some serious icy roads on road trips. And like I said above, never had an ounce of trouble with it. Now I'm still reaching for the column shift. And the space between, and forward of the front seats are gone.

Congrats with the new car. Pretty sure it will serve you for a very long time.
My wife had a CRV too. She loves it and we put almost $165,000. We weren't even planning to buy any other car. Pretty much were all set with no payments. Until one day someone totaled her CRV. Cant believe it a 17 year old girl text messaging and on her way to the boyfriend. My wife was so upset but what do you do right? My wife end up buy a new 2018 Prius. She hates that car in fact the car still looks new with probably 11,000 miles in it. She doesnt even wanna drive it. What I'll do is I'l probably give up my beloved 1986 Toyota SR5. I just use that pickup probably twice a year for home improvement. I'm thinking about getting a used CRV or a used 4wd Subaru PU with a little room in it not like a Prius so we can use it one once in a while local trips and home improvement. Probably less than 3,000 miles a year.
Good luck to your car.

The extended often do nothing BUT, cars now have so damn much electronic that can and does go wrong? They can be nice to have. Last two used cars Wife and I bought in the last year we paid cash for but I did ad on a warranty. Wife kicked about it a little but I convinced her it was worth it. All it would take is one chip to go bad to pay for the entire thing. On last new car we bought years ago I paid to extend it past the 50K bumper to bumper and was glad I did. At 60K CV axle went bad. Did not cost us a dime to fix due to the extra. Many years from now you may look back and never us the extended BUT, something also may go bad that they will fix free and then it will have been worth it.

The extended often do nothing BUT, cars now have so damn much electronic that can and does go wrong? They can be nice to have. Last two used cars Wife and I bought in the last year we paid cash for but I did ad on a warranty. Wife kicked about it a little but I convinced her it was worth it. All it would take is one chip to go bad to pay for the entire thing. On last new car we bought years ago I paid to extend it past the 50K bumper to bumper and was glad I did. At 60K CV axle went bad. Did not cost us a dime to fix due to the extra. Many years from now you may look back and never us the extended BUT, something also may go bad that they will fix free and then it will have been worth it.
Indeed! Agree about all the, unnecessary, computer crap! You know what I found out yesterday? There's no gas cap on this car! It's got "LIPS" where a gas cap would be! W-T-F? What would that cost to replace if some skell got in there thru the "Push to open" gas door and screwed up those spring loaded lips? :(

Indeed! Agree about all the, unnecessary, computer crap! You know what I found out yesterday? There's no gas cap on this car! It's got "LIPS" where a gas cap would be! W-T-F? What would that cost to replace if some skell got in there thru the "Push to open" gas door and screwed up those spring loaded lips? :(
Why are you putting shells in your gashole?

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top