JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know every rifle tends to be different in terms of what they like. My 10/22 loves CCI Minimags and Aquila super smelly velocity.

I just purchased a Howa 1500 in 223 with a 1:9 twist. Just curious where I should start in terms of ammo, should I start low grain and work my way up? Just jump straight to 60gr? This always made me curious too, Do you guys sight in your rifle with the same stuff hunt with?

No plans for handloading as of yet so just shelf ammo suggestions please.

Thanks as always guys

1-9 is slower than your typical 1-7. I'd say skip the heavier stuff and start low. 50 grain to 55 grain.

You will want to hunt with what you sight in with, switching can change your point of impact.

Even with factory ammo, a chronograph can help. Some factory ammo can have deviations up to 100 FPS.

1-9 is slower than your typical 1-7. I'd say skip the heavier stuff and start low. 50 grain to 55 grain.

You will want to hunt with what you sight in with, switching can change your point of impact.

Even with factory ammo, a chronograph can help. Some factory ammo can have deviations up to 100 FPS.

do you start keeping track of how often deviations are or do you separate large deviations from small deviations?

do you start keeping track of how often deviations are or do you separate large deviations from small deviations?
More like I test two boxes that are of separate lot numbers. If they are pretty good I use them. If two lots are close in FPS spread, that's good stuff. If not, well that's not good, means the powder charges are different lot to lot. Which means it will change each time you buy it. Which means it will hit differently each time as well.

Hornady Superformance comes to mind as an example of factory ammo that had very tight FPS deviation. Stuff was very accurate in my rifle and I'd not hesitate buying it.

More like I test two boxes that are of separate lot numbers. If they are pretty good I use them. If two lots are close in FPS spread, that's good stuff. If not, well that's not good, means the powder charges are different lot to lot. Which means it will change each time you buy it. Which means it will hit differently each time as well.

Hornady Superformance comes to mind as an example of factory ammo that had very tight FPS deviation. Stuff was very accurate in my rifle and I'd not hesitate buying it.

Thanks Reno, always appreciate the information you share

But a 1 in 9 twist with a 22 or 24 inch barrel will typically handle heavier bullets than the same twist in a 16 inch barreled AR due to increased velocity in longer barrels. Many bolt action rifles have twists as slow as 1 in 14. My M700 is a 12 twist and it does well up to 60gr bullets. My T3 with 8 twist will do 75gr bullets just fine.

This is a pretty good chart. Keep in mind that velocity can help overcome marginal twist rates, but you're hampered by factory ammo.

D5ADD751-2065-4C67-99DD-21C84613671B.png

Not hard and fast rules, mind you, but a good rule of thumb.

P

My "go to" factory ammo for .223 is the Fiocchi Extrema with V-Max bullets. Only a little more expensive than the cheap FMJ stuff, but much more accurate and spectacular on ground squirrels or prairie dogs.
50 Round Box - 223 Rem 50 Grain Polymer Tip BT Fiocchi Extrema Ammo - 223HVA50 | SGAmmo.com
Please note that $18.95 price is for a box of 50 rounds. And that price is what you would pay for a box of 20 rounds of "premium" .223 ammo.
The 40 gr version is even more explosive, have chronographed it at over 3650 fps out of my 26" Remington 700 barrel.

Last Edited:
As all guns are individuals when it comes to ammo preference, I'll generally try a variety of brands and bullet weights/styles. As someone else said, if your 9 twist rifle has a longer barrel, it might surprise you, my Savage 12 FV with a 26" heavy barrel does fine with 75 & 77 gr. bullets, but really shines with 69 gr. (so far). I put it together last year, but got distracted by pistols and have only just gotten back to it, so I'm still working on loads. That said, the IMI Razorcore 77 gr. was a very good factory load, 1/2 MOA at worst, and probably closer to 1/4 if I could get the loose nut behind the trigger under control ;). Later.

Dave

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads