JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What Load development method do you use?

• Ladder Test

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • OCW Test

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shoot groups with varied powder choices using no set method

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Voodoo Magic

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
Reactions
Personally, I am and have always been a ladder test guy. I learned about it on Snipers Hide years ago and it has consistently produced the most accurate loads I can find in my rifles using less rounds than any other method (Usually have a final load confirmed in 30-40 rounds including all rounds shot it load workup and confirmation groups).

Ladders all the way. I even shoot a couple ladders mid season to confirm.
The issue I have run into currently is there isn't a range nearby that I know about that I can shoot far enough to get a proper ladder in. When I was up in AK I did all my ladders at 500 and it was awesome.

The issue I have run into currently is there isn't a range nearby that I know about that I can shoot far enough to get a proper ladder in. When I was up in AK I did all my ladders at 500 and it was awesome.
Well you CAN do them at 100 but the interpretation of the results is hard. Join a range. There is one between you ant St Helens but I don't know how far they shoot.

You can get by with 200m and you should be able to find that somewhere in the forest out vernonia way?

There is a range in Clatskanie that goes to 200 that I will likely end up signing up with at some point. The other range is in Knappa and is only 94 yards.

I have always preferred the longer ranges to really see the nodes and I have always just setup a camera to record the whole thing then I just sit with the target and watch the video and mark the shots as they appear.

I have always preferred the longer ranges to really see the nodes and I have always just setup a camera to record the whole thing then I just sit with the target and watch the video and mark the shots as they appear.
Oh that's clever. Never thought of that. Going to try it.

Longer ranges are better of course.

If you want to schlep to tualatin let me know. I have some development to do and we have a 300 yard range

This method:
IMG_2216.JPG IMG_2217.JPG

Then I have the targets on the other end that show the groups sizes that confirm what I'm seeing through the chrono results. I don't always chrono but I always do paper on the down range side.

I don't know what an OCW test is, but I voted for VooDoo cuz isn't all handloading a little bit VooDoo science?:D

When I am working up a load, I start with ascending powder charges and shoot for groups over the chrono. That's after I've made my powder choice. Most of the time I am loading hunting ammo and velocity is my first focus. Watching group sizes open up lets me know when the increased velocity has lost it's "gain" to me. If the group sizes remain constant, then I pay attention to when the .5 gr larger powder charge doesn't show much of a velocity increase, like the bottom two rows in the first pic Dyjital shows.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top