Whats your favorite caliber for making precision shots out to 1000 yards

Reactions
6.5mm is my favorite caliber. Allows the use of cartridges that get the job done with minimal recoil and barrel wear. Great BC, sectional density, and wind resistance. For a cartridge, I'd pick the venerable 6.5x55 Swede.

Yeah, it ain't all sexy like the CM or PRC and doesn't even have the design improvements of 260 before them, but it STILL competes and wins in matches. Add that it runs in a long action so heavier bullets (140 and up) don't just displace volume in the case and reduce power and you have a winner.

Wanna sex it up a bit and make it look all modern like you can go the AI route and add about 100 fps while increasing barrel life.

Still so damn many great choices in 6.5 that make the hole and retain a lot of energy at distance without all the wasted energy for your shoulder to absorb.

Reactions
Shooting 1000 yards around here means hiking up and down a couple of ridges, or taking a logging road a couple of miles to get to the target. I've heard of a 1000 yard range on the reservation about an hour and a half from here, but never been.

When I lived in Arizona, I shot at Ben Avery in 1000 yard matches and used a Sharps in .45-90...

View attachment 730047
Matthew Quigley? Are you still down under? Lol.
That is just plain awesome.

I use a custom GA Precision .260 Remington
(Bergara HMR premier stock, Gunwerks GRB action, 25" Krieger M24 contour barrel with Defensive edge muzzle brake).

OR

GA Precision custom. 300 PRC
(Manners carbon fiber PRS1 stock, badger M5 bottom metal and Accuracy Intl. .338 Lapua CIP magazine, Stainless Remington 700 blueprinted magnum long action cerakoted, 24" proof research carbon sendero barrel, precision armament muzzle brake.)

I'd say my .260 rem is the more accurate of the 2. I have been working on loads for both and so far the .260 is easier to load for as well. Plenty of 1/4 MOA groups and even more 1/2 MOA groups with single digit and low double digit ES and SD's with the .260 rem. The .300 PRC is a bit more fidgety. Maybe it was the brass. I have new atlas development brass to see if it makes the difference.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Cerberus Training Group - Skill Builder
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Skill Builder
Cerberus Training Group
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Pistol
Cerberus Training Group
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Rifle
Cerberus Training Group

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Sunset Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Gordon is a great guy, highly recommend doing business with him.
    • NWGN
  • Rapid Fire Arms
    5.00 star(s)
    Have done several transfers through this shop. All were pleasant experiences. Folks were friendly and pleasant, prices were fair. I wouldn't...
  • Gorge Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Good little shop. Have transferred numerous pieces here and it's always been pain free. My only little gripe is limited hours (currently not...
  • Money Market Pawn Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    Great place to pickup from sites like Davidson's. Low fees. Friendly folks.
  • Money Market Pawn Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    This has been my go to for all transfers. Peter, the two Jasons and Joe have always been very professional and accommodating. The transfer...
Top Bottom