JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like the W231 or HP38 powders because they both have the same burn rate <broken link removed> and I feel that I have a better chance of finding one of them on a shelf keeping my loads basically the same, plus I will shoot preferably the 185 gr. JHP of whatever brand. Because I find them more accurate for me. The 230 gr bullets just drop to fast for me.

185 GR. HDY JSWC Winchester 231 .451" 1.195" 5.0 762 12,000 CUP 5.9 906 15,800 CUP

Looks like there is plenty of safety margin there should you choose to load it hotter. I agree though if that is an accurate load that does reliably expand the hollow point with good penetration there is really no reason to load it hotter.

Oh BTW I'm reloading tonight mostly plinkers but I loaded up the same load I posted in this thread with only one difference CCI300 primer that I acquired a month ago in trade, instead of the magnum. As I stated in this thread though I don't think they are going to perform much different. I'll post my results when I get around to testing them over the chrono out of both a 5" and a 3.25" barrel. I expect it might be noticeably slower out of the short barreled gun because rumor has it that a mag primer will make the powder burn faster so with a standard primer it may just be wasting powder... won't know until I test them I guess.

EDIT:

Tested the same load with CCI300 primer through the 5" barrel this morning. Posting higher numbers slightly... 1030 fps. Could be just tested under different conditions but I don't know. tried testing it with the 3.25" barrel but the chrono kept erroring. I probably should have taken another step back, the muzzle flash was probably screwing with it. Only thing wrong with Power Pistol, it's very flashy stuff especially out of a short barrel.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top