JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like the ruger single six. I love the traditional revolver look and feel and if you want a bigger bang every now and then you can switch out the cylinder and shoot .22 mag. Also, you don't have to worry about cycling issues in some of the semi-auto .22's.

+1 First handgun I purchased and have it to this day, finally got one in SS too.

I have to go with the Ruger Mark II or III. They shoot great out of the box and even better with some minor tinkering.

I had a Mosquito for a while. It was a good gun and tons of fun. I sold it because it was a tad small for my hands and I missed the solid feel of the Rugers.

Handle one if you get the chance, and buy it if it is reasonable and tight! That wonderful checkered walnut grip just fits me perfectly. And that STEEL! It has a half-cock safety notch too, which allows a relativly safe carry with a round chambered, making it useful for self-defense as well as plinking......................elsullo :s0155:

I have a Ruger 22/45 SS 5.5 Bull barrel, and absolutely love it. I have put somewhere between 1500-2000 rounds through it, and haven't even taken it apart for a thorough cleaning. I just spray gun cleaner through it, and run the bore snake through it, oil it up after that and it is good to go. No ammo problems at all including shooting some old Russian steel case.

If you have a 1911 .45 ACP, the Ruger 22/45 is the way to go, as it mimics the grip angle.

My second choice is a Walther P22, as they are good trainers for the kids, and come with a threaded barrel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE...WITH THE
INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY AND WELL
PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE,
THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY
PROCLAIMING----WOW----WHAT A RIDE!!!"

I have shot many 22 handguns and I like the S&W model 422 and 622 the best for plinking. They are lighter that most others, but still full sized. The barrel is low, so they are perfice for a silencer if you want to add one. Great trigger, great feal, very dependable and you will never wear them out.

But you can go wrong with most 22's on the market. I also love the buckmark and the rugers.

If I were you I would buy the one that fits your hand and pionts the best.

I got a little Berreta Bobcat 21A. Its a fun little shooter once I figured out what kind of ammo it likes...And I cant seem to hit squat out past 15ft but its fun shooting steel plates close up...
I rarely carry it but I do carry it.
If I you are looking for a fun plinker go with one of the Rugers or Brownings they wont let you down...if you do your part and clean it that is.
Good luck with your search...
-A

Ruger Mark III Hunter!!
I've owned at least a dozen 22 handguns and shot many that belonged to friends. By far the most accurate in my hand is my ruger. I can hit milk jugs all day at 100 yards.

Love my Hi-Standard Sport King...

343hgm9.jpg
(This one's not mine.) :D

I ended up getting the Beretta Neos. Failed to feed the first two times I tried to load it up. Fed and fired the third time I racked the gun and hasn't failed since.

Have about 350 rounds through it with no problems. Okay not entirely true...my wife shot it for the first time yesterday. Gee, guess who has a new gun...:D

Shoots well, sights adjustable, and very easy to clean.

We both enjoy shooting it. Orginally got it to hlep wife get used to shooting as the 9's I have scare her. Well she's seems hooked and wants to go again. So yes, I'd have to say it was a great choice.

My other choice was the SW 22a but when I looked at it the grip was quite large and I didn;'t think she could get her hand around comforably. The Neos has a smaller grip and fits her pretty good, yet I think it works well also.

Last Edited:
Glad to hear about your new purchase Starship. Sounds like it's going to work out for you.:s0155:

I've made an offer on a Ruger Mark 111, slabside with a four inch barrel.
I'll post again when I get it, load it and fire it.
Thanks for all the help.

Will

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews