Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What's Your .22 Suppressor Baffle Pre-treat?

Discussion in 'NFA Weapon Discussion' started by Doc In UPlace, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

In an effort to reduce the bond between molten .22LR lead and suppressor baffles, have been using a light coat of TW25b grease, applied with a small paintbrush, as the last step in cleaning.

It has helped make the next cleaning job somewhat easier, but now am wondering if there's something better.

In a recent visit to a Rimfire forum I saw several recommendations for anti-seize compound specifically the brand Permatex. Are the anti-seize formulas all about the same?

What do you use?

2. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

3. Twodogs

Twodogs portland Or Active Member

I've been using fireclean but I'm going to try preheating parts then silicone oil dip.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  4. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I use Loctite's anti seize nickel.
    It's designed for very high temps on stainless steel fasteners.
    The spray can is handy but puts a thinner coat on the internals, so I would recommend the paste.
    I also use it in my Ar's buffer recoil spring tube and it really helps with the noisy spring sound.

upload_2016-2-28_9-27-4.jpeg

308 likes this.
  5. Doc In UPlace

I'm gonna try both of these, the Loctite and Praxair, and have a coating of anti-seize in there now waiting for the next range outing; thank you for the suggestions.

Each one of these will cost less than $8 each to try, (maybe except the loctite, lol) and sounds like all of them are much better than running the baffles uncoated.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  6. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

7. VWTim

VWTim Corvallis, OR Member

I soaked my new Axiom with DOT 5 brake fluid to get a coating of silicone oil on it. I have only shot a couple hundred rounds thru it, but in testing a bit, it mostly wiped clean with a rag.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  8. broncman

broncman E. of Portland yet to close! Quality Control!

Anyone try z-max or anything similar that penetrates the metal? I mean if that stuff really lifts and prevents carbon deposits inside an engine maybe it is the holly grail in terms of keeping baffles clean.
    I don't know but was just thinking aloud!

9. Schwabdl

Schwabdl Hillsboro Active Member

I never clean 22 cans they get quieter when they're dirty

10. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

That is true, but only up to a point. They also get heavier as they collect lead inside.

11. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

And at some point you won't be able to take it apart, unless it's made like a SilencerCo Sparrow.

12. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

FelPro makes an equivalent product called N5000 that we used on stainless pieces in a nuclear power plant. Good stuff.

13. drstrangelove

drstrangelove Vancouver, WA Active Member

I've had good results with Frog Lube paste up to 100rds with paper towel cleanup, but >100 makes the blast chamber require a 12ga brass brush chucked into a cordless drill.

14. Doc In UPlace

It's true in my experience too, that there is a time when the build-up goes from being like a carbon layer which is easy to remove... into a metal-bonded coating that is much more difficult to get off.

Revisiting this thread I am reminded that I still haven't got out to shoot the copper-based anti-seize treated baffles. So much for March and April. :eek:

15. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Sub Light Speed Well-Known Member

One thing I have found with the permatex is that it is very messy, it gets on and in every thing, and stains non metals near permanently! I have been using LocEase which is a liquid that evaporate into a dry lube that works for around a 100 or so rounds before it no longer works. I have been looking into a teflon coating but I haven't found any thing for civilian use, yet! I may also look into ceramic coatings to see if that may help!

16. PiratePast40

PiratePast40 Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

I remember using Neo Lube on valve caps. From what I recall, it was isopropyl alcohol with graphite. The main purpose was to prevent galling but seems it would leave a good barrier layer.

17. 70cyclone

70cyclone Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

agree about the permatex...works great but can be a mess to deal with.
    ceramic coatings would be interesting...may have to stop into the local shop and see what they think

18. Mike Generallo

Mike Generallo S. FL New Member

new guy here, adding my thoughts. I use the gold (copper) anti-seize in my suppressors. The lead, burnt and unburnt power get captured by the grease.
    I then shoot break cleaner in and it all rolls right on out. It also shoots a wee bit quieter. Wipe with a rag and you are done. Be sure to where rubber gloves as not to contaminate yourself.

19. wired

wired Yakima Well-Known Member

I run mine dry until it leads up good . Then I soak the baffles for a few days in paracetic acid. Come out looking like new.

20. Mike Generallo

Mike Generallo S. FL New Member

My cans have aluminum baffles. your acid would make quick work on them, that is why I use the anti-seize.