JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Your thoughts on how these night sights were installed on my HK 45 Tactical pistol.
I've been waiting almost a year for my Osprey to show up, and when it finally did,
I purchased a new set of Heinie Straight Eight tall sights so I could see over the top of the can.
I was told by the gun store that sold me the HK that they could mount the Heinie's with their special sight tool for $30.00.
The instructions that came with the sights, specifically spelled out that in case of a tight fit, to only remove metal on the bottom of dovetail base only. Makes sense to me.
After 45 minutes (they said it would only take 10 minutes) they handed me my slide back, but I didn't take the time to really look at their handiwork until I got home, because I needed to get my Mom back home after her doctor visit.
After going back the next day to complain that they ruined my new sights, I was told that was how all sights should be custom fitted (notice the shiny metal on the dovetail bevels), and, that I must have bent the front sight after it left their shop.
I did get my $30.00 back, but was told to take a hike after I mentioned that I would post on-line what kind of raw deal I had received.
Not the best pics, it looks worse in person. The only good thing was that they didn't scratch up my new slide.
And the final insult was that used a punch to remove the new original night sights, and they really bunged up the front sight, plus, they said that they had oiled the bare metal on the dovetail bevels, and not to worry about it rusting.

hk 45 001.JPG

hk 45 005.JPG

hk 45 002.JPG

hk 45 009.JPG

jk 45 001.JPG

jk 45 002.JPG

Last Edited:
WOW I did my own Montana Vintage Arms Combination front sight on my 1967 Winchester Buffalo Bill commemorative with a nylon drift and it looks way better then that mess.

BuffaloBillfrontsiteview2_zps485d0a4e.jpg

Holy Crap!!!
<"that was how all sights should be custom fitted">
I've got to know what shop did this. How did they think this was acceptable. After all, if they where willing to let it leave their place like this they should own up to it. Like, "Ya, we do really bad work, but we're cheap." Obviously the guy that did this had never done it before - and hopefully never does it again. The set screws... Holy crap!

B

Wow they owe you a set of sights! So did they install the custom set screws also?

I would quit working as a gunsmith and sell everything if I ever did work like that!!

If you need assistance installing other set gimme a holler!

spill the beans on which shop. At the very least they should have bought you a new sight set and refunded the install money. Or at least bought you 2 new matching length set screws that are flush.

It's called Buster Beaver LLC in Wilsonville, and they are primarily a Cerakoting shop that has branched out into selling firearms.
They told me that they dis-assemble, then Cerakote (all types of firearms) and then re-assemble them, so that makes them expert gunsmiths I guess.
I had never heard of them until last year when their salesman called me up (I had an ad on this site looking for a used HK USP 45 Tactical) and he said that he had a new HK 45 with a threaded barrel that he would
give me a good deal on.
Part of the deal was that they would swap the sights for free when I received the Osprey.
When I showed up this week to get my free work done, the salesman had been fired and now it was $30.00.
The set screws on the front were my doing (I was going to remove the front sight, but decided to take some pics before it was removed).
They talk a good talk, but they are totally clueless. The owners son in particular.

Glad that pic showing the set screws backed out was you and not two different length screws. Sucks they took another $30 from you. I for one won't do any business with them. It seems obvious that they are more interested in $30 than they are about their reputation, customer service, and repeat customers. Let us know how you like that can when you get a chance!

I have a small metal lathe and was looking at it last night thinking that if I put a small piece of brass stock in the chuck jaws and then carefully clamp the slide onto the tool carriage, it might work pushing off the ruined sights.

Man that really sux! I would have to post those pics on the Facebook page if it was me. Maybe with a dash of sarcasm and some joking on the square...

"Just wanted to thank Buster Beaver, LLC for the job they did installing my night sights. If any of you are thinking of getting some work done here, take a GOOD LOOK at the job they did on my sights and you will be surprised at the craftmanship!"

https://www.facebook.com/BusterBeaverDesigns

But I am an @ss like that. ;)

I have a small metal lathe and was looking at it last night thinking that if I put a small piece of brass stock in the chuck jaws and then carefully clamp the slide onto the tool carriage, it might work pushing off the ruined sights.
Using what you have and thinking outside the box! I like it! It will take a bit of set up but, I'm sure that would work. Good luck!

I think I would try to put the slide in the chuck and use the tailstock to push out the sight.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top