JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
You can't eat a whole pie in one bite. You eat it one bite at a time. That is what is happening. They can't get rid of the 2nd all at once. They are doing it one law at a time. Those that did not learn from, or choose to ignore History, are doomed to repeat it.

Sorry but you will not change my mind. Registration is just a way to confiscate our Guns when the time comes. Criminals do not register their guns, and you can't track what is'nt registered. The 2nd is there to keep a corrupt government from destroying us.

citdisarmament.jpg

obeyingorders.jpg

Last Edited:
However, there was some gun seizures in New Orleans. People who did not want to leave their homes were disarmed, left unprotected against looters and other criminals.

How do you assume that because all legal guns are registered, there would be no more (Or even less) illegal guns? The illegal guns are there, right now. So are the legal but unregistered ones. So every "good" citizen registers their guns. The illegal guns are still there.

Now, if some president, city, etc took all the registered guns, only the illegal guns would be left. And the illegal guns would be in the hands of criminals, who are probably looting and stealing anyway. So now they're armed, and I'm not.

I think everyoneone on both sides of this topic have very valid points. I also think people dont fear registering thier guns, I think they fear the control the government potentially has with the guns once they are registered. Case in point, when the state of California began thier ban on sport rifles also known as assult weapons, residents who already owned these weapons were allowed to register them and keep them. Later they were forced to get rid of them either by dismantling them, selling them across state lines, or turning them in to be destroyed.

Gun registration also sings a sweet tune into the ears of non gun owners who are affraid on guns and gun crimes. They already label ban-able firearms as assult weapons, and tell the masses that you dont need an assult weapon unless you are going to assult someone. Non gun owners will be painted pictures that people who dont want to register thier guns or turn them in are criminals, putting us in the same category as rapists and murders.

As far as what government agency will handle removing werapons...really? The local police. For the last few years law enforcement agencies across the nation have been upping thier staff and have been training using military tactics. The number of new prisons and jails has been climbing in record numbers, with so called small crimes such as drugs and theft not even gettin a night in the slammer, someone has to fill those cells. If the military like police force needs to be that heavily armed and trained for crimes other than not regisering a gun, dont you think we should as responsible gun owners also be armed to help combat such potential threats?

Now, besides the risk of confiscation and whatnot being reasons against registration, please explain to me how registration would yield any benefits.

Also, I feel it important to note that somehow, somewhere, the average member of the public is already under the impression that guns are already registered. People I know are sometimes shocked when I tell them my guns aren't registered. This shock doesn't really subside when I tell them that registration isn't required. I shudder to think how this tidbit might affect things if congress decides to bring up the issue of registration.

So again: please tell me how registration would be any benefit.

Wake Joe,

Please show me the article that says that Obama plans to take guns away from us? I'm interested in knowing exactly what he said?

Let's separate fact and fiction and not be swept up in paranoia.

To your other point regarding criminals, I guess it's just a matter of how you look at things. If every legal, law abiding citizen had their handgun registered, then couldn't one conclude that it would be easier to track non-registered guns and therefore their users? Would there not be a scarcity of non-registered guns?
It seems to me that refusing or getting uptight about not registering a firearm gives the government good reason to "take away" that same firearm.
Let me give you a quote fron nancy peloski "I want every one of them off the street, Every last one of them" Is that plain enought for any of you who has any doubts about their desires? by the way she did'nt mean gum wrappers. Gun regerstration has alwys been the step before confiscation.

Registration always leads to confiscation. I had an SKS with a AK detach that got turned in because California wanted it. I could find anyone to ship it and thusly just turned it in. It was only 125 bucks but it was still mines and it was confiscated.

That's registration for you.

Never again.

CALIFORNIA, only a few years ago.....

Confusion still abounds over the definition of an "assault weapon." Last year, a
Robinson Armament model M96 rifle was seized from a dealer. The Cal. Dept. of Justice (DOJ) used the store`s transaction records to locate other M96 rifles and went door-to-door confiscating them without compensation. However, the M96 rifle is perfectly legal, and is not an "assault weapon." At the urging of NRA attorneys and others, officials in the DOJ`s Firearm Div. reversed the agents` decision. This situation raises the question, if specialized DOJ agents don`t know which guns are "assault weapons," how is the average gun owner to know? This vagueness led District Attorneys in Fresno and Mendocino counties to file a lawsuit (Hunt v. Lockyer), that is still in litigation and challenges the 1999 amendment to the state`s "assault weapon" law that still confounds gun owners, dealers, police, and prosecutors as to what features of a firearm are prohibited. Thankfully, approximately one week after seizing the model M96 rifles, DOJ agents began returning the guns to their rightful owners. We`ll keep you posted on any developments on this front.

There are LOTS of things wrong with gun registration. Off the top of my head: registration takes away our freedom, turns otherwise honest law-abiding folks into criminals, costs a ton of money to implement and even more to enforce and IS frequently used as a stepping stone to confiscation - including in the US today. Even if someone could somehow think that all of those things were tolerable, the fact is that registration has proven to have little to know effect on violent crime. As for Obama, he is clearly extremely anti-gun by his own admission and according to his voting record.

Take a few minutes searching the internet and you will have abundant examples of all this.

Let me give you a quote fron nancy peloski "I want every one of them off the street, Every last one of them" Is that plain enought for any of you who has any doubts about their desires? by the way she did'nt mean gum wrappers. Gun regerstration has alwys been the step before confiscation.

"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them -- Mr. and Mrs. America, turn them all in -- I would have done it." -Senator Dianne Feinstein, CA on the Assault Weapons Ban

I can't be the first to yell "troll," so I'm going to have to call "tool."

Pdxshotgunner: "As far as Obama is concerned, taking away any otherwise-considered lawful firearm is probably #1001 on his list of a thousand things to do when he gets into office. Your guns aren't going anywhere."

"Otherwise-considered lawful firearm" ?
"Probably #1001 on his list of [rights to strip]" Why don't you check out the homepage for the bogus and pompous "Office of the President Elect."

<broken link removed>

Here's Barry's urban policy/Constitution shredding agenda:
"Address Gun Violence in Cities: Obama and Biden would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent."

PDXShotgunner, your neighbor told you that he owns a silencer for a Weatherby 700 Magnum? Go call him a liar (if he exists).

Now, go back to the flock and enjoy your Kool-Aid!

Might I point out that Canada tried the registration thing and it turned out to be a horrible failure costing millions of dollars and having no positive results.

Maryland and New Jersey tried registration with ballistic fingerprinting. Also a horrible failure costing millions and has yet to solve a single crime.

Admit it: There is no benefit to gun registration unless the intent is to know who has what so they can be confiscated at a later date.

Don't fall into the "I have nothing to hide. I've done nothing wrong." trap.

As another aside, not only would criminals not register their guns, they aren't legally required to since registering would amount to self incrimination. How's that for irony?

pdxshotgunner: Do you know whom your State legislators are? Do you know how they have voted in their respective office's? Apparently many on this board knows'. TorpedoMan is obviously very well read on legislative records in CA. PDX...are you really a gun owner, and an awake person? Your question: "Please show me the article that says that Obama plans to take guns away from us?" Is a good-one, if you didn't have the internet, or even books to read.

Ah here we come to the same bone-headed back and forth argument:

We say "Obama wants to ban guns."

They say "Obama is not going to take your guns away."

The problem is they are both right. Repeating the same tired lines does nothing for the conversation. I know Obama isn't going to take my guns away.

I take issue with his statements that he wants to make it more difficult for me to buy MORE guns. Or other people from buying any guns.

He may not take my guns away, but registration will allow someone later to take them away.

This is an important point in politics and government power that I think alot of people forget when supporting giving new powers to the government: Sure, you want to give the people you support more power to get things done. But stop and remember that eventually someone you don't support will be in power. They will have this power too.

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads