JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for a basic SET, that's a cap for a 40mm front lens with a tether to a rear lens cover for a Leupold Freedom VX scope. I would have though it would be stoopid easy. No! Don't need $119.00 flip-ups. Don't need monogrammed. Heck I suppose if it's that bizarre of an item, singles for less that $20.00 bucks or so would be fine. maybe I'm missing something?

I run butler creek on my rifles. I had (past tense) a pair of Vortex ones but they were bulky. I actually gave them away to a user here who I believe liked them.

If you want low profile, go Butler Creek.

The best ones I had were made in 1970. Maybe Uncle mikes?. A steel disk over molded with rubber and a small lip to center it on the lens. Tiny screws and a metalstrap held the rubber band in place on the caps also making the rubber replaceable. Very well made. Connected each cover by a rubber band and a smaller one to hold it to the rifle. all balanced under tension like a snare trap. When you flipped the ocular one off so went the front and stayed on the rifle, snug and out of the way to the left side if that is how you set it up. not a sound.
Now the rubber is no longer supple. actually brittle hard so wont stay on even though I replaced the rubber bands.
Tried New ones of various mfg. over the years and gave up on them. I now use flip ups, both push on rubber (bought individually by diameter) and the screw on ones that come from Leupold for their new units. I do not like them for hunting unless the weather is really saturated with rain or snowing. (in which case I put a small balloon over the muzzle also) other wise I remove the dang things when I hit the field because they are a hassle, especially when in tight brush and not as quiet as the old ones.
I do like to use them to keep the lenses clean and protected when the rifles are not in use.
The push on ones are from Butler Creek but bought some time ago.
Good luck on your quest.

The best ones I had were made in 1970. Maybe Uncle mikes?. A steel disk over molded with rubber and a small lip to center it on the lens. Tiny screws and a metalstrap held the rubber band in place on the caps also making the rubber replaceable. Very well made. Connected each cover by a rubber band and a smaller one to hold it to the rifle. all balanced under tension like a snare trap. When you flipped the ocular one off so went the front and stayed on the rifle, snug and out of the way to the left side if that is how you set it up. not a sound.
Now the rubber is no longer supple. actually brittle hard so wont stay on even though I replaced the rubber bands.
Tried New ones of various mfg. over the years and gave up on them. I now use flip ups, both push on rubber (bought individually by diameter) and the screw on ones that come from Leupold for their new units. I do not like them for hunting unless the weather is really saturated with rain or snowing. (in which case I put a small balloon over the muzzle also) other wise I remove the dang things when I hit the field because they are a hassle, especially when in tight brush and not as quiet as the old ones.
I do like to use them to keep the lenses clean and protected when the rifles are not in use.
The push on ones are from Butler Creek but bought some time ago.
Good luck on your quest.

Damn! If it wasn't enough getting older and everything becoming more difficult and painful.......Ya' can't find a simple set of lens caps with a rubber strap between them any more! The crappy NC Star scope I got for my AR (actually works okay for what little I know) came with covers connected with rubber straps! Easy peasy.

Damn! If it wasn't enough getting older and everything becoming more difficult and painful.......Ya' can't find a simple set of lens caps with a rubber strap between them any more! The crappy NC Star scope I got for my AR (actually works okay for what little I know) came with covers connected with rubber straps! Easy peasy.

Like this?

A33C2928-DE38-4E7A-9028-280477715B59.jpeg

Butler Creek or Vortex caps should be right up your ally.

Find Rifle Scope Covers & Sunshades for Scopes | Shop Now & Save
I run butler creek on my rifles. I had (past tense) a pair of Vortex ones but they were bulky. I actually gave them away to a user here who I believe liked them.

If you want low profile, go Butler Creek.

Thanks Tits and Dyjital. Looks like that is a good lead, we'll look into that. I really just wanted something to keep on the scope while it's in the case coming and going from the range/sitting in the safe, to keep dust off the lenses. We're not hunters, and not likely to be in bad weather, so, yeah.

Neoprene covers are designed for hunting but are a good option for storage imo.

$10-20 on Amazon.

The one I have is reversible with camo on one side and black on the other.

Here's something special....Wifey decided to send an email to Leupold. She just said she hadn't been able to find what she was looking for on their web site, and was looking for caps that didn't stay on the scope. She called them the "Bra" type, Bikini type? She sent that at around 5:30pm....Be damned if she didn't receive a reply at 8:30 PM! It said give me your name/ address/scope model and I'll send you some caps. Man-O-man, that's like the wonderful that I saw in Oregon way back when I moved here in 1983.

Kudos to Leupold!

Here's something special....Wifey decided to send an email to Leupold. She just said she hadn't been able to find what she was looking for on their web site, and was looking for caps that didn't stay on the scope. She called them the "Bra" type, Bikini type? She sent that at around 5:30pm....Be damned if she didn't receive a reply at 8:30 PM! It said give me your name/ address/scope model and I'll send you some caps. Man-O-man, that's like the wonderful that I saw in Oregon way back when I moved here in 1983.

Kudos to Leupold!

Awesome!

Somehow not suprized though, great company from my experience;)

Thanks Tits and Dyjital. Looks like that is a good lead, we'll look into that. I really just wanted something to keep on the scope while it's in the case coming and going from the range/sitting in the safe, to keep dust off the lenses. We're not hunters, and not likely to be in bad weather, so, yeah.
You mean like these.....If so measure what you need on rear and front I have a lot of these laying around and most likely have what you need. Just message me with measurements and I will look and send to you if I have a set that will work.

scope caps.png

I got tired of messing with those pop up caps since they tended to break at the worst times. I just started changing over to Scopeshield neoprene covers. They're made in Salem. You Oregon guys should be supporting a local business!

So far, I'm pretty happy.

You mean like these.....If so measure what you need on rear and front I have a lot of these laying around and most likely have what you need. Just message me with measurements and I will look and send to you if I have a set that will work.

View attachment 601373

Thanks for that offer Deadeye. Leupold is sending lens covers to Wifey free it looks like. I'll keep you in mind though.

I got tired of messing with those pop up caps since they tended to break at the worst times. I just started changing over to Scopeshield neoprene covers. They're made in Salem. You Oregon guys should be supporting a local business!

So far, I'm pretty happy.

You know, that looks pretty good. I'd seen those in the search for some covers and should have looked at them close. It make sense I guess to cover the whole works now that I think about it.

Second on the neoprene scope covers. Once there was only Scope Coats, but now there are lots to choose from out there. Got ride of all my flip up stuff. Easy to remove quickly, a neoprene cover is not only water resistant it cushions impacts and keeps your optical clean.

I liked the original butler creek biini scope covers. I've sold the rifles I had them on, but the covers stayed here. What I like about the originals is that I can replace the rubber straps that hold the caps to the scope. To one of the straps is attached a rubber loop that secures it to the scope. You just flip off whichever end is handiest and the other end drops off but still stays attached.They kinda sorta look like these but the rubber straps can be replaced:

Kudos to Leupold!
Teach a woman to fish on the internet,..

lol

View attachment 601373
I have a set of these. They were great but the straps wore out quickly. I forget what I did to fix them but it wasn't very good. I should find them and fix them properly.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top