JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Checking around and see that the transfer fees vary between $20 and $75.

Either business is very bad and they need the income of just plain greed.
One would think that they would want to build a relationship with a customer rather than insult them. Which would be better, profit from a $500 sale or a $40 transfer fee. In Totem Lake, Kirkland a dealer is charging $75 and will not do a transfer from Buds Gun Store. It does seem that that the LGS is just that and has not learned the world of competitive business.

Many don't realize it, but most gun shops don't make much profit margin on firearms. When I was in the wholesale business, we made on average about 5-10% on firearms. The retailers probably made a little better margin, but not much. We made the bulk of our profit on ammo and accessories.

Yeah it's a very slim margin on firearms, when someone buys a new gun online or somewhere else that they could've purchased through the store you want to transfer to they aren't going to do it for free for you. It takes time to log on the books, do paperwork, communicate with the transferring FFL, etc. Plus that store can order the same gun for you (most of the time) but these days everyone wants to save $5.00 online when in reality they're going to end up paying more for it after shipping & transfer fees.

They would want to build a relationship with a customer rather than insult them...

You'd think that a person would rather build a relationship with a gun store rather than insult them.

When you walk in, asking them to do a transfer... You are basically telling them that their store isnt worth doing business with and that you've relegated them to paper jockeys that shouldnt make more than a few dollars.

Honestly, I'm shocked that you're shocked.

but these days everyone wants to save $5.00 online when in reality they're going to end up paying more for it after shipping & transfer fees.

So true.
Sometimes saving $5 can cost you allot more. It's all in the details.

what about when you want a gun, that is not produced anymore? No one in town has one laying around.... and they still want 50 bucks? Then they take for ever to send the FFL, and they still act like they are doing you a favor? I just do not return to shops like that.

what about when you want a gun, that is not produced anymore? No one in town has one laying around.... and they still want 50 bucks? Then they take for ever to send the FFL, and they still act like they are doing you a favor? I just do not return to shops like that.

If you want something that isn't produced anymore then you're already (in most cases) paying a premium for it, so what's another $50 on top of that $1300 original Colt?:huh:

Sounds like the shop needs to get their screws a little tighter in that machine if they take a long time to send an FFL. I know sometimes holidays or weekends can hinder immediate transfer of a firearm, but I always try to send my FFL same day to the shipper.

Just go to the department of used guns to do the transfer.
Unlike gun shops they have no overhead or salaries so they do it for free... also, they are fictional.

Yes, that is exactly what I was trying to present. There is no question that if your using the LGS merely to allow you to purchase a gun else ware for a lower cost that is a insult to the gun store. But, as you pointed out there are times where the LGS needs to think about their relationship with the buyer and assist him in a purchase of something they are unable to get. I do get a good discount on both new and used at the LGS I use but they will not budge on their transfer fee. If the LGS wishes to remain in business it needs to cultivate its long term customers. Yes, I used to work for a large dealer in Arizona a few years so I have a good idea of the margins in the price of guns and accessories

Frank G.

I went to Wild Bills in Molalla to see about them being the FFL for a Savage MKII FVT .22LR I wanted to by from Davisions. And Bill suggested they would get me the same price minus the shipping charge if I went directly through them. AND boy howdy did that pay off. The first one to come in had a NASTY DEEP SCRATCH on the barrel just off the end of the fore end. I told Bill I wan't happy with that.

In like 5 min he was on the phone to Davisions had the replacement coming and was boxing the scratched one up telling me he would take care of the whole thing and how sorry he was (like any of it was his fault) and that I could expect the replacement to arrive in 4 days. I went ahead and paid him in full.

Sure enough 4 days later I was picking up my new rifle. It had a minor scratch on the receiver but it would be under the one piece scope mount I knew I would be putting on it.

I almost couldn't get out of the store with it BILL wanted to send it back and Raise bloody **** with Davisions.

Needless to say should I find myself looking to buy another new gun I can't find local Wild Bills in Molalla will be seeing me again.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top