JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I won a S&W Model 22-4 in an auction on gunauction.com on Sunday March 22nd. I immediately e-mailed shipping instructions and a copy of the receiving dealer's license. I sent a USPS money order and a hard copy of the FFL by express mail. According to USPS tracking it was delivered on Wednesday March 25th. Other than the automated response immediately at the end of the auction, I have heard absolutely nothing from this vendor. I have followed up, at intervals, with three e-mails requesting shipping information. No response. Yesterday In called one of the numbers listed on their website - phone rings once and cuts you off. Today, I tried the second number on their site. This one answers and says to leave a message at the tone - at the tone it tells you the mailbox is full and you can't leave a message. It tells you how to transfer to an operator (push "0") and when you do, it says that it can't transfer you.

I understand that with the ongoing pandemic many businesses are closed entirely, working limited hours with limited staff or, gun stores being "essential" open regular hours. There is nothing on their website to indicate anything but the last option. Regardless, this is a heck of a way to do business. Does it take more than a minute or two to at least acknowledge the transaction? To tell me that they're sorry but shipping will be delayed - something, anything other than this stone wall of silence. If I had done this transaction with an individual with these same results, I would have already been notifying the local police and/or the postmaster. This being a large, bricks & mortar concern, I really don't think that they have absconded with my money, but they do need to keep customers in the loop.

This was their Milwaukie, OR store. Anybody close enough to know what is up with them?

Thanks for your indulgence.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Be patient. NW Armory is very reputable out here. Keep in mind that they, like every other LGS have been slammed and backlogged over the last few weeks.

Last Edited:
I cannot speak to the specifics of this situation involving this shop, BUT, i can tell you that things are extremely busy for them, which is normal, but even more so now with everything else shut down! This shop is a VERY popular dealer, and as such, the phone traffic must be overwhelming the system if all you get is a busy signal! Normally they answer pretty quick, and even if put on hold, would eventually answer your call!

Edit: I rang right through in 3 rings! They said they are overwhelmed, and limiting the numbers in the store at any given time, and it's still crazy!
(503) 654-7974

They are horrible. I gave up trying to go in there and buy a gun. I try to support local business but not once but twice I walked in, was never greeted and never helped. Both times only 2 or 3 customers were there. I knew exactly what I wanted, all someone had to do was take my money. Always you should greet the customer and let them know you'll be helped when someone is available or something. The first time I left, went to Cabelas and bought the gun. Second time I left and drove out to Rich's and bought a gun.

I live a very short distance from them. I've discovered after many transactions with them, if they have what you need in their store, they are decent.

If you have phone business, or email business with them, they are awful. They will not return my phone messages or answer my emails. Best you can hope for is the gal actually answering the phone. This has been their practice since long before the who-flung-dung virus scare. I also agree, some of the folks manning the counters do not get the body language of a customer needing help, so I go to the cash register, where I'm always offered help.

Their business appears to be prosperous, and if they're swamped with customers in their store, it would be tough to serve them while also answering the phone non-stop.

So...Not the answer you hoped for, but in spite of their less than stellar online or on-phone customer service, they remain a resource to me. Keep calling until a human answers.

Last Edited:
I have bought a number of guns from them over the yrs. Every time I have been in there they have been very helpful and friendly. I understand they are dong by appointment only right now with a line outside waiting to get in due to the States restrictions and the current high demand.

I walked in, was never greeted and never helped. Both times only 2 or 3 customers were there. I knew exactly what I wanted, all someone had to do was take my money.
In the last 24 months, this same basic description happened the last 2 times I was there with cash-in-fist. The 3 clerk-guys were busy relegating some recent personal conquest and ignored me. They largely imitated the Cabelas non-sales staff very effectively. Having had enough of such, I've managed to find other businesses that actually were interested in making a sale. My "B" list continues to grow.

I have purchased a number of firearms from Northwest Armory including a couple from the auction. They are usually extremely busy even without the current panic buying. It would sometimes take a while (5 - 10 minutes) to get helped, but they have always been friendly. I would continue to purchase from their Milwaukee store, but think I will wait for the current buying spree to subside. I would think they would at least clear up the phone messages so you could leave a message. I would keep trying to contact them.

As I said, I am not worried that they are about to abscond, but they have a sizable amount of my cash - have had it since 3/25 - and I have nothing. Thus far haven't even acknowledged the transaction. I expected that they were slammed and fully understand that, but how much time does it take to send an apologetic e-mail expressing business conditions and say there will be a delay?

From some of the responses on here, obviously they don't subscribe to the best business practices.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Walk in, stand at the register. They'll notice you more easily.
They're probably just flooded with customers. If there is one place people know of, it's NW Armory.
I've had at least 3 people looking to buy their first gun suggest that this is their first choice of a shop.
Cut them some slack during the pandemic.

Always you should greet the customer and let them know you'll be helped when someone is available or something.
Agree, but then I go with @WAYNO 's advice.
I go to the cash register and ask for help.

I've purchased one gun, pistol mags, and done a transfer there. I actually like that the staff leaves me alone. I look like a po' ruffian anyway, and dress like a slob, so they prolly think I'm just there to kick the tires.
If I don't see what I'm looking for, I ask.
@Pizza Bob , sorry about the delays you're encountering.

They should make good on a deal they have already made, your only recourse is to complain to the auction site about response times. I've only been to their shop once and that was all it took, they may be an independent but they are a big independent with service similar to Cabelas, I have always gone instead to sportsman's other fisherman's as they always seem to have friendly staff and they may get busy but they don't outright ignore you.

I have been equally ignored by Fisherman's and Sportsman's. Luck of the draw, who's working behind the counter.

Last Edited:
I tried to visit their Tigard store and it seems they pulled a Cabela's and are only doing "curbside" delivery of online ordered products and handling finishing up delayed background checks that come through. Sunset Firearms and Tigard Pawn are open for business. One or the other isn't doing something right and I suspect it's NW Armory.

Sorry about your situation. Hopefully you've gained some insight from the members experiences with NWA, both good and bad. Whatever answer you are looking for, keep in mind that we can not personally solve your problem for you. Let us know how it eventually turns out.

As I said, I am not worried that they are about to abscond, but they have a sizable amount of my cash - have had it since 3/25 - and I have nothing. Thus far haven't even acknowledged the transaction. I expected that they were slammed and fully understand that, but how much time does it take to send an apologetic e-mail expressing business conditions and say there will be a delay?

From some of the responses on here, obviously they don't subscribe to the best business practices.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
f

?? guys walking into the store and not getting 1950's gas station Jonny on the spot service = not the best business practices? :rolleyes:. I have been in both their local stores in the past few years well over 50x. Every time I wanted some help and made an effort to acknowledge I was interested in a product I received service that matches just about all the other LGS in the area. Sure they have been busy before and its up to me to wait or just go back. This actually is the one LGS I have wondered about the number of staff on duty for such a small shop.

I am with you on wanting to know what's up with your purchase or where your $$ is at. File your grievances with the auction site, process a chargeback for your pre-payment they are not acknowledging and leave them the splendid feedback they earned themselves by not monitoring their online auctions during the largest gun sales month in the probable history of our State. (March had 3k+ background checks in the queue at once!) They should have known better than to keep auctions up as the buying spree kicked into high gear. Smart dealers would have suspended any auctions they had.

If it was not for by appointment only right now I would offer to swing by one of their locations and let them know you're been trying to reach them. Best of luck with it, I know it can be a pain when your not getting responses from a seller and they have your $. I get that 100%

The OP is in New Jersey. He can't just walk in. I've had nothing but good, friendly service there, but he has money out there, can't talk to anyone face to face, and gets no response to calls and emails. That's not acceptable.

By this point I would be sending registered mail that requires a signature.

We're sorry for the delay in processing your shipment. We are experiencing unprecedented demand and are somewhat overwhelmed. Rest assured that we will ship your firearm as soon as possible and contact you with the shipping information.

Sincerely,

NW Armory

That took me two minutes to compose. Once something similar is done by NWA, it can become a template - just copy & paste and push send. How hard is that? I am in cash/firearm limbo.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I went to Milwaukee store yesterday. Sign on front door says "closed except for online orders due to stay at home order." They chose to close while other gun stores like mine remain open. And there was no one there at 11am, lights off, could care less.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top