JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What should our expectations be around ammo during a time when we're fighting a war on two fronts? Did folks living during WWI/WWII/Korea/Vietnam expect to have easy access to ammo at reasonable prices?

I'm unhappy about the price & availability of ammo like everyone else on here. However, given current circumstances, I wonder if we have a right to complain too much about something that is, for many of us, a hobby.
I'd just like to point out that the military isn't using .22LR.

Interesting idea - I hadn't thought about what happened in previous wars. However, our manufacturing capability is completely different now than then. Further, I think a good percentage of the recreational shooters were off fighting the war, we're not rationing now, etc. There was a whole national war effort back then, not a national anti-war effort as there is today (ok, enough with that in this topic...).

My big fear is twofold: As the lack of ammo drags on, the management of places like BiMart are going to see all that empty shelf space and say, "Fill it with something else." Retailers don't like empty shelves. Will we ever get our ammo back?

Next, the casual shooter is going to give up on the hobby. I've got a buddy with one gun, a 10mm he shoots every couple of years. No way is he going to take it out plinking when ammo is $1/round and unavailable even if he did want it. How many thousands of these types of guys out there?

Bad situation all around. Ah well, smoke 'em if you got 'em. Have a great Memorial Day weekend, all!

-- Sam

Take the optics industry.

Leupold & Stevens recently purchased many new machines and have already set them up and are producing more. I ask, why hasn't the ammunition industry hopped on and taken advantage of this huge demand?! The excuse that, "These machines will be left idle!" just isn't valid in such a high demand market at this point!

Even if supply dwindled, they could increase prices to pay for these new machines and expenses, and they would have been up and running by now.
...It's obviously not that.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads