JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As far as I know cartridge brass does not contain lead. While I think it's a bit over the top to say that handling some jacketed ammo will cause life-long brain damage, I certainly do understand caution with kids and lead. Lead isn't as scary as some make it out to be but a growing kid is at a lot more risk than an adult.

I cast bullets and have young children. They don't help me cast, I'm very careful with casting and cleanup, and I've got them thoroughly brainwashed into carefully washing their hands after handling any guns or ammo. My youngest had some blood work done for something else recently, and I asked my wife to have them add a lead test, just for curiosity. I'm confident that I'm careful enough, but just wanted to be sure. If there was some exposure that I wasn't aware of I want to know. I'd get rid of all my loading gear in a heartbeat before I'd risk my kids' health. It came back negative; nothing to worry about.

I knew a guy who let his young son make some extra money selling range brass. He would pick it up when he went to the range with his dad, decap and tumble it, and sell it. I didn't know the guy very well, but I asked if he was aware of the trace amount of residual lead in dust from spent primers. I'd be more worried about breathing that than handling brass or jacketed bullets.

There's a lengthy thread on another forum about lead poisoning and I've noticed a trend. Practically every single person who has reported having high lead levels has had exposure in one of three ways: 1. Extensive indoor shooting (primer smoke and lead dust), 2. Handling very large amounts of fired brass (lead residue in dust from spent primers), 3. Handling lead and then eating or smoking without washing first.

you know.. I remember shooting thousands and thousands of 22's with my dad when I was a kid.. hmm.. maybe if I had never shot a gun I would be like the rest of the millennial's out there... with some serious permanent brain damage from over thinking in a political "protest"

don't lick the lead 22 bullets and your just fine.. We always cleaned our hands before eating after handling ammo.. Never has ever seemed to be an issue. I personally think that your taking it considerably to far.. especially with jacketed ammo.. Sure if it was all lead ammo, that would be one thing.. all jacketed ammo that's in the picture. Nah, I am good.

Leaded brassalpha-beta brass with an addition of lead, easily machined
and it is malleable.

I'm sorry Silver... you seem like a nice guy and I enjoy your posts, but I'm afraid you're just wrong on this. Below are the results of an x-ray fluorescence spectrometry comparison of various popular cartridges. Note the lack of lead in the results. If you're running cast lead bullets I suppose the potential for surface contamination may exist on the cases, but lead is not part of the chemical alloy make up of the case itself as far as I can tell. If you have evidence to the contrary please share.

brassxray02op.png

I'm sorry Silver... you seem like a nice guy and I enjoy your posts, but I'm afraid you're just wrong on this. Below are the results of an x-ray fluorescence spectrometry comparison of various popular cartridges. Note the lack of lead in the results. If you're running cast lead bullets I suppose the potential for surface contamination may exist on the cases, but lead is not part of the chemical alloy make up of the case itself as far as I can tell. If you have evidence to the contrary please share.

View attachment 348578
A member here, who also has a youtube presence, recently stated there that he thinks that all lead ammo should be outright banned.
needless to say, this fool no longer exists to me
couldn't freaking believe it

A member here, who also has a youtube presence, recently stated there that he thinks that all lead ammo should be outright banned.
needless to say, this fool no longer exists to me
couldn't freaking believe it

Good grief... That's downright silly. When they banned lead shot for waterfowl hunting, I could rationalize that... Who hasn't seen ducks and geese feed off the bottom where they could ingest lead. But when they start hitting the panic button for all types of hunting and shooting, upland, big game, varmint...that's throwing common sense to the wind....ridiculous.

Good grief... That's downright silly. When they banned lead shot for waterfowl hunting, I could rationalize that... Who hasn't seen ducks and geese feed off the bottom where they could ingest lead. But when they start hitting the panic button for all types of hunting and shooting, upland, big game, varmint...that's throwing common sense to the wind....ridiculous.
he's not much of a shooter, obviously. anyway

Lead does irreversible brain damage to young children's brains.

Bullet moulds 001.JPG
With out a doubt, This I know!

You never miss what you don't have and some people just do not listen to good advice no matter how you say it.
Silver Hand

Last Edited:
I have taken this thread off topic and wish to return it to it's original topic by adding my two cents.

If someone who had nothing and had a use for this material or someone that had the time and saw the value in it's abundance,
Still, I don't think it would bring much in monetary value.
Just say-in.
Silver Hand

I sense a subtle shift in the force.... The original post was about lead content of brass cases...now it's about lead poisoning in general. I don't think anyone would dispute that lead is bad for kids, or anyone else for that matter...I just objected to the idea that there was lead exposure due to handling brass cases with jacketed bullets.

I sense a subtle shift in the force.... The original post was about lead content of brass cases...now it's about lead poisoning in general. I don't think anyone would dispute that lead is bad for kids, or anyone else for that matter...I just objected to the idea that there was lead exposure due to handling brass cases with jacketed bullets.

Lets not forget the make up of all the materials involved and lets get back to the original thread.
Thanks I stand Corrected - Silver Hand

Err, if the OP's original topic still applies, I would reprocess the stuff if the fodder comes cheap enough.
Speaking strictly for myself;
Pull and inspect, weigh all the bullets to sort, throw the primed brass in a wet clean tumbler before I deprime and throw the primers away. Resize, inspect and sort the brass. blend all the powder, give it my best shot at identifying it, find a known mild load go below and work up a load slowly.
I spent much of my earlier life where time was more available than money and make do, reuse, be creative was a way of life. After a fashion, rather sticks. Can be extremely satisfying (and frustrating). But then, since I was a kid, I never enjoyed watching tommy and his paranormal dog explore a mine shaft when I could be out doing it myself. No comparison between doing things as opposed to watching TV. It's amazing how much time TV sucks from ones finite life.
OK, I regress, preachen done.
Oh, Lead Rules!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews