Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What's this rifle worth: Black powder

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by nwwoodsman, Aug 4, 2014.

1. nwwoodsman

nwwoodsman Vernonia Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer

Normaly I look these up on my own but can't find anything anywhere. This is for a little old lady I am trying help out so any info is greatly appreciated. Rifle is stamped "Jerry Miller" with "Oregong Territory" underneath. No other markings. 29" barrel and can tell it's smaller than the .50 cal but not sure of exact caliber.

20140804_181302.jpg

20140804_181219.jpg

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
    Qjay likes this.
  2. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

This is a very good quality reproduction of a muzzle-loading rifle (or, better yet: a modern-production custom-made muzzleloader, and no "copy" of anything). It is a modern rifle and not an antique, but for the group of shooters that love to shoot blackpowder guns, this is a good one, made by a man who perhaps still lives, and is (hopefully) still making guns; if this one is any general example of his work.

I would consider it a privelege to hold this gun in closer examination.

Qjay likes this.
  3. aflineman

aflineman Both South of Eugene and East of Portland. Active Member

Looks to be a pretty well built and fine firearm. If Spitpatch is unable to help you (although I am very sure he will), you may try The Gun Works, 247 S 2nd St, Springfield, OR 97477
    (541) 741-4118
    They have some fairly extensive knowledge of makers and blackpowder parts.

Qjay likes this.
  4. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

This type of rifle depending on who made it and what components were used can run from $800-$3500

It would be best if you had Joe Williams at the Gun Works in Springfield look at it. There is no one more likely to know its value and history then Joe. He's been buying and selling in the Muzzle loading world for almost 30 years.

I doubt there are any makers in the area that Joe hasn't either dealt with or sold on the secondary market.

nwwoodsman and Qjay like this.
  5. Qjay

Qjay Vancouver, not BC, Washington, not DC Active Member

Wow! That is amazing work!