Southwest Firearms Forum
Low Price Guns
Buster Beaver Cerakote
Gun Deals
Oregon Rifleworks
Sporting Systems
J&B Firearm Sales
Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

What's the story with SBR's in WA?

Reactions
i thought that the barrel minimum was 14.7" ?or the oal of 26" am i off base here?
You are way off base. Minimum rifle barrel length 16". Minimum shotgun barrel length 18". Both cases the firearm has to be over 26" long total.

The way to measure barrels is to close the action. Drop a dowel down the barrel till it hits the bolt face. Mark the dowel right where it exits the longest part that is permanently attached to the barrel. Most folks choose to be 1/4" or so longer then minimum just so there is no question. To measure OAL open or extend the stock (if that is an option) lay the butt flat on the floor. Measure from the floor to the end of the barrel (or anything permanently attached).

Reactions
I've bought many handguns in WA and never filled out anything but a 4473
I am not sure how that can be. I do not know the name of the form but it is referred to as "the blue form" and is information collected on the original buyer by WA state. I can not remember when this started but has been well over a decade for sure.

i thought that the barrel minimum was 14.7" ?or the oal of 26" am i off base here?
You are way off base. Minimum rifle barrel length 16". Minimum shotgun barrel length 18". Both cases the firearm has to be over 26" long total.

The way to measure barrels is to close the action. Drop a dowel down the barrel till it hits the bolt face. Mark the dowel right where it exits the longest part that is permanently attached to the barrel. Most folks choose to be 1/4" or so longer then minimum just so there is no question. To measure OAL open or extend the stock (if that is an option) lay the butt flat on the floor. Measure from the floor to the end of the barrel (or anything permanently attached).
What Nwcid said! I think you may be "combooberating" the 14.5" barrel length (not counting the flash hider) of a tru-spec M4 carbine, and the civilian version commonly referred to as an "M4gery" which has a 16" barrel (not counting the flash hider). You can build a tru-spec M4 with 14.5" barrel, but you would have to have a slightly longer flash hider permanently installed (via having it pinned, hi-temp soldered, or welded) so it "becomes" part of the barrel, and making it a minimum of 16" barrel length.

Hope that clears it up for you. :s0155:

Reactions
Well Nwcid I guess we are differiing on what we call registering a handgun. You say that because a record of transfer is not required for all transactions therefor there is no registration. I say that because the state keeps records of my transaction thru an ffl for a handgun that they have registered it to me. The fact that their records don't change with later transactions thru private party doesn't change the fact that if there is a trace on that weapon within the state they will come to me first as the owner of record. I call that registration. My opinion.
With all do respect,your opinion is not law and when stating things like "registration" you will get quoted legal terms on here.
So though it seems to YOU as a registration,legally,it is not
Main thing being,we DO NOT want a registration in this state.

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS

LATEST REVIEWS

• Supporting Vendor Copeland Custom Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    Tim, has done several projects including a sweet 1911 .38 super project
    • Qochoc
  • Mary's Pistols
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic small business with equally excellent folks running the place. I was given fair value for a trade in and was able to order something I...
    • Red98422
  • Gooseneck Road
    4.00 star(s)
    Very popular service road with some unmarked logging roads that branch off of the main. Relatively cleaned up from what we saw. I just wish that...
    • Benzdriver81
  • Liberty Safes of Oregon
    5.00 star(s)
    I have now purchased 2 Safe’s and constantly recommend people go here. You get better quality than the other liberty safes made for places like...
    • Motojohonda
  • Supporting Vendor Lucky Sporting Goods
    5.00 star(s)
    Just dropped by today to pick up a rifle … this is what a gun store should be! None of the crotchety bluster and BS that so many other gun stores...
    • DLS

SUPPORT NORTHWEST FIREARMS

Staff online