JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
i thought that the barrel minimum was 14.7" ?or the oal of 26" am i off base here?

You are way off base. Minimum rifle barrel length 16". Minimum shotgun barrel length 18". Both cases the firearm has to be over 26" long total.

The way to measure barrels is to close the action. Drop a dowel down the barrel till it hits the bolt face. Mark the dowel right where it exits the longest part that is permanently attached to the barrel. Most folks choose to be 1/4" or so longer then minimum just so there is no question. To measure OAL open or extend the stock (if that is an option) lay the butt flat on the floor. Measure from the floor to the end of the barrel (or anything permanently attached).

I've bought many handguns in WA and never filled out anything but a 4473

I am not sure how that can be. I do not know the name of the form but it is referred to as "the blue form" and is information collected on the original buyer by WA state. I can not remember when this started but has been well over a decade for sure.

i thought that the barrel minimum was 14.7" ?or the oal of 26" am i off base here?

You are way off base. Minimum rifle barrel length 16". Minimum shotgun barrel length 18". Both cases the firearm has to be over 26" long total.

The way to measure barrels is to close the action. Drop a dowel down the barrel till it hits the bolt face. Mark the dowel right where it exits the longest part that is permanently attached to the barrel. Most folks choose to be 1/4" or so longer then minimum just so there is no question. To measure OAL open or extend the stock (if that is an option) lay the butt flat on the floor. Measure from the floor to the end of the barrel (or anything permanently attached).

What Nwcid said! I think you may be "combooberating" the 14.5" barrel length (not counting the flash hider) of a tru-spec M4 carbine, and the civilian version commonly referred to as an "M4gery" which has a 16" barrel (not counting the flash hider). You can build a tru-spec M4 with 14.5" barrel, but you would have to have a slightly longer flash hider permanently installed (via having it pinned, hi-temp soldered, or welded) so it "becomes" part of the barrel, and making it a minimum of 16" barrel length.

Hope that clears it up for you. :s0155:

Well Nwcid I guess we are differiing on what we call registering a handgun. You say that because a record of transfer is not required for all transactions therefor there is no registration. I say that because the state keeps records of my transaction thru an ffl for a handgun that they have registered it to me. The fact that their records don't change with later transactions thru private party doesn't change the fact that if there is a trace on that weapon within the state they will come to me first as the owner of record. I call that registration. My opinion.

With all do respect,your opinion is not law and when stating things like "registration" you will get quoted legal terms on here.
So though it seems to YOU as a registration,legally,it is not
Main thing being,we DO NOT want a registration in this state.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top