JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So my grandfather a Marine Vet. ,awarded many medals including Purple Heart and Bronze Star and whom I am very close to, has been explaining to me about a story that happened back in the 80s where a dear buddy of his had owed him some money and eventually passed away. His wife still wanted to settle the debt and my grandfather being a humble man told her to forget it, well she still wanted it settled and so she decided to give my grandfather a gun collection since she had no use for them (roughly 7-9 rifles and shotguns).Well time passes and those guns sat in crates and eventually had to be transported to there current residence. My grandfather asked my uncle (only so by marriage) to do so since he had the rig to do it and to store them for the time being, this was about 6 years ago, and recently my grandfather had other plans for this collection.

Gramps inquired to his son-in-law (uncle) about said collection about 2 weeks ago since he was still in possession and asked for them back, he told him to come over the NEXT day and get them. So he shows up, they had breakfast and then the topic came up for the guns.... well my uncle right off he bat said "what are you going to do, sell them from underneath me?" to which my aunt replied "they aren't even your guns". A few min later they went to the room where the crates were being stored and my uncle opened them up and to my grandfathers surprise there were only 2 guns left (one in each crate). The rest of the day my uncle was totally quiet and since then has been basically ignoring them.

From what I know of my uncle in the 9 years that he has been in this family, he has been somewhat manipulative and egotistical and I'm not saying any of this to "bash" him but I do fully backup my grandfather over this man and I want to step in and say something but that is where my dilemma is coming in, even though I know my grandfather won't take it to the next step because he doesn't want to start anything with his daughters husband. Everyone who knows this story still knows he has the guns but don't know where. We live in a state where FTF is commonly used and some do a point of sale which is proof, my grandfather has none since they were given to him many years ago to settle a debt and then entrusted them to his son-in-law . So at this point my grandfather is basically screwed. What do you think should/shouldn't be done at this point.

I would tie your uncle to a chair and play Reservoir Dogs with him. As he bled out, I would ask "are you gonna die out from underneath me?". I would give him very few opportunities to come up with the money or the guns, then I would leave him there, whether you got the money or not.

Thieving has no place in my world and it sure the hell doesn't belong in my family.

I'll be in Portland early next month if you need someone that will continue inflicting pain no matter the screams and begs. Hell, I'll do this one Pro Bono. Does your uncle know anything about the proper usage of the ghost pepper?

Unless your aunt steps in and forces her husband to man up and do the right thing and return the firearms, there's not a lot that that Gramps can do. Unless Grandpa had a list of serial #'s of all the firearms and a signed contract stating that the son-in-law was to store them at his residence with no compensation, it's a lost cause.
Your dealing with a guy that would screw his own relatives, so give up on the idea that it will bother him what they think of his actions.

Unless your aunt steps in and forces her husband to man up and do the right thing and return the firearms, there's not a lot that that Gramps can do. Unless Grandpa had a list of serial #'s of all the firearms and a signed contract stating that the son-in-law was to store them at his residence with no compensation, it's a lost cause.
Your dealing with a guy that would screw his own relatives, so give up on the idea that it will bother him what they think of his actions.

Sad but true.

Nail on the head right there! I know, which is the reason why I'm so upset about this issue. The whole thing too is that I'm not upset about the fact that it's the firearms either but its simply the moral of the issue which is he has something that does NOT belong to him and is basically refusing to give it back while lying about the whole thing. So childish!

Next time I'd try to be more concise/efficient with your verbiage.
In other words, what? Is this a test or some exercise in torture?
The price of tea in China is presently $4.64 a pound.

Unless gramps has someone that can provide a quiet azz kicking for son in law there is not much recourse. We're I gramps the relationship is over to include Daughter! "Thanks for the smartazzed answer, dear!" "Bye!" " And, oh you know those things called wills? Well you don't need to worry your pretty, duplicitous little head about them anymore!"

Unless gramps has someone that can provide a quiet azz kicking for son in law there is not much recourse. We're I gramps the relationship is over to include Daughter! "Thanks for the smartazzed answer, dear!" "Bye!" " And, oh you know those things called wills? Well you don't need to worry your pretty, duplicitous little head about them anymore!"

What he said. Judging by your response, you really don't want your grandfather's money or guns, just to complain about it. That's all fine and well, but I thought you were looking for an answer to get your grandfather's stolen possession's back.

No one ever would steal anything like that from my family without paying dearly. I wouldn't involve police or courts.

Did you even bother looking into the ghost pepper?

What's the difference between jam and jelly? You can't jelly a ghost pepper up your thieving uncle's ***.

What he said. Judging by your response, you really don't want your grandfather's money or guns, just to complain about it. That's all fine and well, but I thought you were looking for an answer to get your grandfather's stolen possession's back.

No one ever would steal anything like that from my family without paying dearly. I wouldn't involve police or courts.

Did you even bother looking into the ghost pepper?

What's the difference between jam and jelly? You can't jelly a ghost pepper up your thieving uncle's ***.

Complain not so much, I am upset about the issue but without him having legal proof that they are his I wanted to know what this community thought of the situation and how they would respond, like I stated in the header of this thread is basically "what would you do?" sorta thing. Yes I would like to see something happen and my grandfathers possessions returned but you never know what could come up. If anything at all, I'll show this thread to my grandfather and it might make his day. :)

Then send gramps my way. You don't have "legal" proof? Then leave the law out of it. You either do what must be done and make it right, or you go to every Christmas knowing that the POS RIPPED OFF YOUR GRANDAD!

As far as this whole legal proof thing goes, where would the legal proof come from? No one is required to write a bill of sale for a FTF purchase. Since gramps couldn't have "registered" them and since anyone can write a BOS and write whatever serial numbers they want, I'm not sure where any proof would lie. Also, your aunt could provide some of this legal proof. Unless, of course she would lie to protect a thieving liar over her own elderly father.

Not a good situation for sure and I do not envy your position. Please excuse my tone in my previous posts. I am in fact on your side. Were it me(and after all, that was your question), I would make it right and hold my head high at family functions. I'd also bet that when I was done, no one would cross the old man again. That's that.

How do you KNOW this?
"Everyone who knows this story still knows he has the guns"
And.....
By now your aunt undoubtedly knows the magical powers she holds (same for most women). I would work her to get him to do the right thing. I don't see much recourse otherwise. If the guns are still there there is a possibility. ...
I'd bet some or all the missing guns are long pawned.
Between the two there must be a conscience.

What documentation exists on the guns and the sales? Uncle jerk needs to be prosecuted for selling stolen firearms. You may not be able to get said firearms back or even the money, but this guy at a minimum needs to be tortured. Prosecution and hopefully a little time to think about it would fit the bill.

The problem with small claims court, is proving actual ownership of the eight firearms.
Ownership is 9/10th of the law in most cases.
Unless there is some documentation stating otherwise, it comes down to a "I Said / He Said" story.
The Son-in-law can claim that the two crates only held "one gun apiece", or "My Father-in-law said I could have a couple for my troubles of storing them".
He wouldn't be the first person to lie under oath.

There is an old saying "The faintest ink is greater then the worlds best memory".

The lesson here is to get it on paper. The courts are full of litigation's involving property disputes. Lawyers love them, it's their bread and butter.

Many years ago my dads brother screwed him out of inheritance money and many family heirlooms that ironically included many old guns. Nothing my dad could do. His brother tried to offer some 'consolation prizes' that were more of an insult than reparation and the burden of transport across the US to Oregon would have more that it was worth.

I'd say produce the guns or the cash from the sale, Uncle D bag and I don't mean dime! Confront the slime ball and accuse him from stealing from an old man. If you really want him to cave have the women in the family talk to his wife. he'll do the right thing or move in to the doghouse. Horse thieves deserve better than he should get and you know what they did to horse thieves... he probably voted for Hussein.

Brutus Out

Sad thing too to add to the whole issue is that my uncle isn't a poor man and makes decent money so I'm convinced even more so he hasn't sold them, also these are more of a moral issue but he has also somehow convinced my gramps to buy him a boat for the "family" which he let go down the crapper within 3 weeks, and then somehow got him to buy..... you guessed it... another one.

My take after reading your post is grandpa hasn't asked for any help and wont take the next step because the family drama isn't worth it to him. I say support your grandpa's wishes. If he changes his mind then do the same and create an all out family assault on uncle scum bag.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top