JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've bought a few guns with lazers and sold them. Mote self defense senerios are from three to ten feet. If you need a Lazer sight for such close shooting think your shooting skills suck.

Last Edited:
I've bought a few guns with lazers and sold them. Mote self defense senerios are from three to ten feet. If you need a Lazer sight for such close shooting think your shooting skills suck.
There is a HUGE amount of really sucky shooters then. I have long lost track of the people who when you get to the range can't even hit paper at 20ft with any of the popular compacts. Those who were willing to learn I could normally get them on paper after a while. I would then mention that shooting paper that is not moving and not shooting back is FAR different than real life. Too many think it works like TV :s0092:

Toward a scenario FAR more likely than any armchair quarterback self-defense speculations here, I find that when checking a trapline, a laser sight on the gun is nothing short of "the cat's pajamas" (or the cat's death knell as the case may be).

The laser can be aimed from any hand position, precisely directed where the bullet needs to go. A trapper's dream.

I have not read all the responses in this thread.....I had a set of laser grips on one handgun. Wasn't sure what all the hype was and decided to see for myself. I aimed them for 30 feet tried to use them. For outdoor shooting I could not see the red dot. Found them useless for daylight practice. What I did use them for made them worth the cost....I used them for point shooting practice. I used dummy rounds and just practiced aiming at items in my vacant home or shop and pulling the trigger and getting the dot to stay on target.

I have not had those grips on that gun in years and should sell them.

I have not read all the responses in this thread.....I had a set of laser grips on one handgun. Wasn't sure what all the hype was and decided to see for myself. I aimed them for 30 feet tried to use them. For outdoor shooting I could not see the red dot. Found them useless for daylight practice. What I did use them for made them worth the cost....I used them for point shooting practice. I used dummy rounds and just practiced aiming at items in my vacant home or shop and pulling the trigger and getting the dot to stay on target.

I have not had those grips on that gun in years and should sell them.
I had a Ruger snub-nosed revolver with a red laser in the grip, and it was freakishly accurate at 30 feet.

I wonder if the red dot in yours would be brighter with a fresh battery?

I know that some will denigrate every advance in technology.

Me? I'll take every advantage I can get. I grew up on iron sights, use them well. I put in as much time training with lasers and red dots. They do offer a distinct advantage, but plan for the unexpected, practice with irons too.

I have red dots on some, lasers on some. One has both. I use all 3 seamlessly due to practice and training.

Spend a little time with either. The advantage is clear. To me.

Use quality gear. Junk will get you hurt.
Practice.

It's a hood rat thang.

IMG_2697.jpeg IMG_2699.jpeg IMG_2700.jpeg IMG_2698.jpeg

I had a Ruger snub-nosed revolver with a red laser in the grip, and it was freakishly accurate at 30 feet.

I wonder if the red dot in yours would be brighter with a fresh battery?
A fresh battery did help. But even when new they were not bright enough for me to pick it up with any speed outdoors. Now, in the house they worked great. I got to where I could draw and fire on a door knob or light switch and keep on target through the entire trigger pull. I also practiced on the TV with people that popped onto the screen. I made a game out of it. I shot sitting, standing, walking....just got used to the gun and how it aimed. I really should practice that more as it has been a while since I did it.

The laser grip was way too small for my hands and I ended up trying several commercial grips before I just made my own.

Pistol-mounted lasers in self-defense situations might be rare. They're cool for range practice, but the wobbling can be a hassle. Not sure about the real practicality, though. Any hidden benefits I'm missing? Educate me, guys

Pistol-mounted lasers in self-defense situations might be rare. They're cool for range practice, but the wobbling can be a hassle. Not sure about the real practicality, though. Any hidden benefits I'm missing? Educate me, guys
Not really possible. All sighting systems have those that love them, those that shrug, and those who openly hate them. It's why I have long said I do love them but, don't as far as I know own a piece of the places making them, so don't care if others hate them. Different shooters have to decide what they like. I have often wondered about the almost deranged hatred some have of them though. Its like they get angry at the thought of someone not liking what they think is best. :s0092:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top