JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not really possible. All sighting systems have those that love them, those that shrug, and those who openly hate them. It's why I have long said I do love them but, don't as far as I know own a piece of the places making them, so don't care if others hate them. Different shooters have to decide what they like. I have often wondered about the almost deranged hatred some have of them though. Its like they get angry at the thought of someone not liking what they think is best. :s0092:
Totally agree! Different strokes for different folks when it comes to sighting systems like lasers. Everyone has their own preferences, and that's cool. It's interesting how some people get so worked up about it. Let's just respect each other's choices and enjoy shooting our own way

Not really possible. All sighting systems have those that love them, those that shrug, and those who openly hate them. It's why I have long said I do love them but, don't as far as I know own a piece of the places making them, so don't care if others hate them. Different shooters have to decide what they like. I have often wondered about the almost deranged hatred some have of them though. Its like they get angry at the thought of someone not liking what they think is best. :s0092:
Not so much hatred if they are actually being used and trained with. But the majority of them get purchased and thrown on a pistol in substitute of training with irons. It's a simple "solution" to aiming in high stress scenarios that will more than likely let the operator down. They are cool in concept but not in real world application.

Just my opinion and I am talking in generalizations. Not singling anyone out. So don't get all bent.

And I'm not talking IR or being under Nods.

Not so much hatred if they are actually being used and trained with. But the majority of them get purchased and thrown on a pistol in substitute of training with irons. It's a simple "solution" to aiming in high stress scenarios that will more than likely let the operator down. They are cool in concept but not in real world application.

Just my opinion and I am talking in generalizations. Not singling anyone out. So don't get all bent.

And I'm not talking IR or being under Nods.
Hey I could care less but some openly seem to really hate them. I have no doubt a lot of shooters buy one and do not practice but that goes all across the board. I have lost track of the people I have known who buy a gun for "protection" and never fire it. They buy something, a box of ammo, toss it in a drawer and forget about it. Hopefully they will never need it since they will find out it does not work like on TV. :s0092:
I have also lost track of the number of people who tell me any kind of sights or optic is "stupid" as they don't need it. Get to the range with them and they can't even hit paper that is not moving or shooting back. Some of them I could work with and get them on paper. Many of them ego would not allow them to be helped. :s0092:

Hey I could care less but some openly seem to really hate them. I have no doubt a lot of shooters buy one and do not practice but that goes all across the board. I have lost track of the people I have known who buy a gun for "protection" and never fire it. They buy something, a box of ammo, toss it in a drawer and forget about it. Hopefully they will never need it since they will find out it does not work like on TV. :s0092:
I have also lost track of the number of people who tell me any kind of sights or optic is "stupid" as they don't need it. Get to the range with them and they can't even hit paper that is not moving or shooting back. Some of them I could work with and get them on paper. Many of them ego would not allow them to be helped. :s0092:
Ain't that the truth.

I guess it really boils down to buy what you like. More importantly train with what you bought.

Gear will never replace or substitute time behind the gun.

There you go again. Could you give this Boomer a translation? :s0092:

:D
Search for some video and it will show you what he is talking about. Higher end stuff that was first made for the Military. You will see a lot of video of people using it to get rid of Ferrel pigs since they can easily dispatch them at night with them. Pricey stuff but like all "tech" it has come down in price a LOT.

Search for some video and it will show you what he is talking about. Higher end stuff that was first made for the Military. You will see a lot of video of people using it to get rid of Ferrel pigs since they can easily dispatch them at night with them. Pricey stuff but like all "tech" it has come down in price a LOT.
I can't afford it. Haha. Just got to play with it on the Governments dime.

That looks like a heckuva lot of fun. :s0130:

There is a HUGE amount of really sucky shooters then. I have long lost track of the people who when you get to the range can't even hit paper at 20ft with any of the popular compacts. Those who were willing to learn I could normally get them on paper after a while. I would then mention that shooting paper that is not moving and not shooting back is FAR different than real life. Too many think it works like TV
Horizontal one hand grip so ejected rounds fly up in the air. It is the coolest way to fire a gun. No need to even aim. It's all the rage with the younger crowds in the urban centers.

Pistol-mounted lasers in self-defense situations might be rare. They're cool for range practice, but the wobbling can be a hassle. Not sure about the real practicality, though. Any hidden benefits I'm missing? Educate me, guys
I'm an older gent. I couldn't run from an attacker if I wanted to - nor could I win a fight with a young man - or group of young thugs.

If I found myself in the unhappy position of having to use a pistol in self defense, having a laser on the gun would be a big help.

Maybe an attacker would leave, when they saw a red dot on their chest. And if I did have to shoot, I'd be confident that I knew exactly where that round was going.

I'm an older gent. I couldn't run from an attacker if I wanted to - nor could I win a fight with a young man - or group of young thugs.

If I found myself in the unhappy position of having to use a pistol in self defense, having a laser on the gun would be a big help.

Maybe an attacker would leave, when they saw a red dot on their chest. And if I did have to shoot, I'd be confident that I knew exactly where that round was going.

Absolutely, having a laser on your pistol can provide an extra level of confidence and deterrence in a self-defense situation. The sight of that red dot might make an attacker think twice or even back off. And when it comes to accuracy, having a laser helps ensure that your shots are on target. It's all about personal preference and what makes you feel more secure

I think one source of hatred of lasers for some is that a laser makes it a lot easier for many to learn to shoot by dry firing with the laser. For example, to master double action shooting of a revolver, dry firing using the laser makes it really obvious if your trigger finger pulls the gun off. And its way easier to learn to use a red dot or laser sight than the standard open sights because focusing on the game animal or attacking animal is instinctive, while focusing on the front sight instead of what you are hunting or being attacked by is something that requires lots of training. A lot of people don't like to see other people having an easier time than they did or quickly acquiring skills that took them much longer to acquire.

Last Edited:
I think one source of hatred of lasers for some is that a laser makes it a lot easier for many to learn to shoot by dry firing with the laser. For example, to master double action shooting of a revolver, dry firing using the laser makes it really obvious if your trigger finger pulls the gun off. And its way easier to learn to use a red foot or laser sight than the standard open sights because focusing on the game animal or attacking animal is instinctive, while focusing on the front sight instead of what you are hunting or being attacked by is something that requires lots of training. A lot of people don't like to see other people having an easier time than they did or quickly acquiring skills that took them much longer to acquire.
I had never thought of that but it sounds like you have hit it square on the head.

I think one source of hatred of lasers for some is that a laser makes it a lot easier for many to learn to shoot by dry firing with the laser. For example, to master double action shooting of a revolver, dry firing using the laser makes it really obvious if your trigger finger pulls the gun off. And its way easier to learn to use a red foot or laser sight than the standard open sights because focusing on the game animal or attacking animal is instinctive, while focusing on the front sight instead of what you are hunting or being attacked by is something that requires lots of training. A lot of people don't like to see other people having an easier time than they did or quickly acquiring skills that took them much longer to acquire.
One of the major benefits to lasers (and RDS) is they provide feedback to the shooter if they know how to read that feedback, most of the haters do not.

I for one, give zero chits about anyone hating on my choice of gear, it certainly will not dissuade me from buying and owning whatever I want...especially given the fact they are mostly clueless on the subject in the first place. Hate away morons.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top