JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Dang, some of you pigs are more adventurous with your aged food than I am.

I'm trying to think and the best I can come up with is the version 1 MRE produced between 1981-87. I would have choked these down in 1989, so a 2-8 year window.

Oh the classics: Ham and choke loaf, beef puck, pork puck and the infamous Four Fingers of Death. The only thing good about that menu offering is that it didn't include the abhorrent Omelet with Ham. That disgusting thing made it for six years for whatever reason, probably only known to God. I never met a jarhead willing to trade for one of those abominations.

The military again...

1969 at Pearl Harbor. FADM John S. McCain Jr. was CINCPAC at the time, and they had a change of command ceremony to welcome his replacement. Of course, they needed warm bodies to make it seem as if a whole bunch of people really cared who CINCPAC was. The duty entailed standing at attention in inspection dress whites for an hour or two in the Hawaiian afternoon sun. Nobody wanted to be on that list, but somehow I got there.

We stood at attention for what seemed like centuries, while every flag officer in the universe arrived in a staff car. "Ruffles and Flourishes" played like a broken record. Sweat streamed, toes itched, muscles ached.

But once the arrivals ceased, and the speeches were over, we found that we were invited to mingle with the crowd, which was about 50% officers, 30% civilians, and 20% us. There was smoked salmon, exotic cheeses, and an endless supply of champagne. Now, I thought I didn't like champagne because all I'd ever had was Cook's, charmat process, artificial champagne at a cousin's wedding or a New Years Eve party. This stuff was way different, like alcoholic cotton candy. It evaporated in your mouth and it was exquisite. Naturally, I wanted to find out what I was drinking so I asked one of the waiters. It was Paul Masson 1925 champagne from the vinyards planted by Paul Masson himself in the 1800's. They had case after case of it, all chilled to perfection.

That event was one of the highlights of my naval career, along with getting thrown out of the Hubba Hubba Club on Hotel Street for nibbling the stripper's thigh on stage. We just crawled across the street to Sad Sam's and had more tequila.

Last Edited:
Dang, some of you pigs are more adventurous with your aged food than I am.

I'm trying to think and the best I can come up with is the version 1 MRE produced between 1981-87. I would have choked these down in 1989, so a 2-8 year window.

Oh the classics: Ham and choke loaf, beef puck, pork puck and the infamous Four Fingers of Death. The only thing good about that menu offering is that it didn't include the abhorrent Omelet with Ham. That disgusting thing made it for six years for whatever reason, probably only known to God. I never met a jarhead willing to trade for one of those abominations.

Old Number 14 Escalloped Potatoes and Ham! Last one from 1992.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top