JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I drive to work downtown, I park in a lot under a bridge near my office. Although I'm fully prepared to encounter them (pretty much daily), it always makes my butt pucker for a moment to see medium size rats scampering to hide in the bushes. Especially coming out of somebody's sleeping bag.

Yuck !! :eek: I think I'd find some where else to park. :(

Sometimes I swear Google really DOES know what I'm thinking. Look what came up when I searched for Portland Oregon Rats...

search for rats.jpg

When I drive to work downtown, I park in a lot under a bridge near my office. Although I'm fully prepared to encounter them (pretty much daily), it always makes my butt pucker for a moment to see medium size rats scampering to hide in the bushes. Especially coming out of somebody's sleeping bag.
Oh yeah. I just want to trap them or blast them to kingdom come.

Some years there are so many jackrabbits on the road from Fields to Denio that you can't hardly drive without hitting them. IIRC it was in late spring the last time I ran into this.

of the 4 legged mammals wild horses and burros be my top pick..and then wolves and free roaming dogs. Sage rats in the alfalfa are a destructive pest but they dont bother me so I'll be dammed if i am going to pay a min of 8 cents pet rat. years back the farmers would pay me with bullets and beer to shoot them!

of the 4 legged mammals wild horses and burros be my top pick..and then wolves and free roaming dogs. Sage rats in the alfalfa are a destructive pest but they dont bother me so I'll be dammed if i am going to pay a min of 8 cents pet rat. years back the farmers would pay me with bullets and beer to shoot them!

You would hunt a wild horse? That's like an american Icon!!:eek:

Absofrigginlutely - if it were legal. I'd be the first to sign up. I think the american icon desert bighorn and all other native critters take priority over the most destructive non native species in the high desert. And then you have the ranchers interests also..
There isnt such a thing as a 'wild horse/burro' in north america. The indians walked everywhere until the europeans showed up. Wild horses are feral horses that don't coexist with our native animals.
Dont mean to sound harsh but horses belong in fenced fields and not to free to roam in our stompin grounds in the desert.

Wild horses are a non native nuisance animal. Go driving through Satus Pass HWY 97 sometime. All the pretty horses by the side of the road. Hundreds of them eating everything they can find. Then just for giggles take one of the side roads out onto reservation land. Don't let anyone see you because it pisses off the Indians. There isnt a place you can stand where there isnt a rotting horse carcass or skeleton in view. No one manages them and they have reached full saturation point. Theyve driven off ALL the native game animals such as elk, deer and pronghorn. They fatten up in the summer and starve to death in the winter. If they'd allow it I'd bag one myself and enjoy a years worth of horseburgers.

Yeah too bad they couldnt have figured out a way to not let their horses n burros escape into the wild n start breeding. But it happened and still is on reservations.
funny that any other feral animal has open season but the horse n donkey!
Power of lobbying by horse freaks and devout christians I guess.

I wouldnt eat them. Just let em lay like boar hogs.

Those little bastiges snipe the spendy doggy-kibbles from my dogs' feed bowls, so we switched to feeding the dogs in the evenings instead of the early mornings.... it was like watching a pack of raptors sweep through, and they were like clock-work like they knew when feeding time was!

I took more than a few starlings (and some horrid crows too) with my cheapie Crossman pump-up pellet rifle while sitting in the garden shed so no one could see me (since I'm in city limits)... it was like the battle of Stalingrad, LOL!
I just blast them with my air rifle. When I am not in city limits that is because the city is a safe haven for invasive species alike! Rock pigeon and starlings out to wazoo.

Wild horses are a non native nuisance animal. Go driving through Satus Pass HWY 97 sometime. All the pretty horses by the side of the road. Hundreds of them eating everything they can find. Then just for giggles take one of the side roads out onto reservation land. Don't let anyone see you because it pisses off the Indians. There isnt a place you can stand where there isnt a rotting horse carcass or skeleton in view. No one manages them and they have reached full saturation point. Theyve driven off ALL the native game animals such as elk, deer and pronghorn. They fatten up in the summer and starve to death in the winter. If they'd allow it I'd bag one myself and enjoy a years worth of horseburgers.
Well, hate to be a nitpicker, but horses are originally from the Americas. They were brought over to Europe and Asia and then died out in the Americas.
Where horses originated from & how they evolved
The Surprising History of America's Wild Horses

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top