JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
SW OR USA in the Illinois Valley it might be Wild Turkeys. I think they were introduced by the State of Oregon? Invasive? They tear up gardens. That and the ever present White Tail Deer. I understand both may be good to eat? Dunno. :)

Seagulls "should be" on the freely huntable list. They love baby pheasants, pheasant eggs, smolt below the dams and cherries. The USDA spends more money on bottle rockets below the dams than I would ever spend on shotgun shells and I'm not that good of a shotgun shot.:s0048:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned possums. My brother lived in Vancouver, WA and said that it was a nighttime pastime. Of course he used his car and would swerve off the road to get them - had to change my shorts the first time he did it. You can hunt with a car can't you or is there a caliber limit?

There seem to be allot of rodents of all kinds and all cause damage in some way, we always get horses hurt by the ground squirrels or you can shoot but they always come back.,

My brother used to have a Nutria problem in Longview in his back yard. Then , after I got my first .22 silencer 25 years ago they suddenly stopped showing up. What a coincidence.

Starlings. Can't stand them. Back when you could get .22lr for what .22 lr used to go for and goombas werent buying it all up for some stupid reason I'd go out camping and spend the day shooting them out of the air.

Not quite as bad as a neighbor with pet Peacocks :eek:
I hear they taste just like chicken...

I don't feed squirrels, but I love to see them flourish around our neighborhood, ready for the future...like an apocalypse trip to the grocery store.

I sure wish we had hog around here for quick bacon!
Check out the Water Front in downtown, I've seen plenty a hogs there.:eek:

you'd think an invasive animal that is notorious for taking a big bite out of the gut of majestic 100 year old stergeon and letting the rest of the 10'+ fish sink to the bottom of the river to be eaten by the crayfish would be at the top of the list... but alas still nothing being done about those damn Sealions!

They dig into the berm my dad and I built to keep water from entering the crawlspace. Water got in and ruined the insulation. Cost us $3,000 to have it replaced.

Gray squirrels, red squirrels or other tree squirrels? You must be talking about ground squirrels or red diggers. I have seen tree squirrels chew thru cedar shingles to get into attics but never into dirt.

you'd think an invasive animal that is notorious for taking a big bite out of the gut of majestic 100 year old stergeon and letting the rest of the 10'+ fish sink to the bottom of the river to be eaten by the crayfish would be at the top of the list... but alas still nothing being done about those damn Sealions!

Freely hunted?

They sure stole a lot of salmon from me when I lived in Brookings. Sometimes I lost a bunch of fishing line when I hooked one too. :(:mad::mad::mad:

Raccoons. Little monsters.

IMG_0852.JPG

Gray squirrels, red squirrels or other tree squirrels? You must be talking about ground squirrels or red diggers. I have seen tree squirrels chew thru cedar shingles to get into attics but never into dirt.
Other tree squirrels. I am not very good with squirrels but we don't have ground squirrels or red diggers up there very often in the region of Puget Sound (below Port Townsend). Plus these two were climbing trees.

My contribution to this necro-thread:

Starlings :mad:

Those little bastiges snipe the spendy doggy-kibbles from my dogs' feed bowls, so we switched to feeding the dogs in the evenings instead of the early mornings.... it was like watching a pack of raptors sweep through, and they were like clock-work like they knew when feeding time was!

I took more than a few starlings (and some horrid crows too) with my cheapie Crossman pump-up pellet rifle while sitting in the garden shed so no one could see me (since I'm in city limits)... it was like the battle of Stalingrad, LOL!

Those little bastiges snipe the spendy doggy-kibbles from my dogs' feed bowls, so we switched to feeding the dogs in the evenings instead of the early mornings.... it was like watching a pack of raptors sweep through, and they were like clock-work like they knew when feeding time was!

I took more than a few starlings (and some horrid crows too) with my cheapie Crossman pump-up pellet rifle while sitting in the garden shed so no one could see me (since I'm in city limits)... it was like the battle of Stalingrad, LOL!

My main problem is the wife and daughter don't like me...solving...the starling problem, so I have to be stealthy to do it. Those damn things decimate our bird feeding station - they fight off every other bird aggressively, including the bigger scrub jays and even the biggest birds we get - the woodpeckers - I've watched them fight each other right on the station. And those damn flying rats come in in packs - usually 6 to 8 at a time.

It's hard for me to get an airgun shot off without my neighbors knowing, so I've switched tactics based on a co-worker's recommendation. I got a blow-gun and I've been practicing with it. My co-worker says he's taken a dozen or more of them with the blow-gun - says it's very effective once you get good at shooting it, and it's nearly silent, so I can sneak in a kill shot not only without my neighbors hearing, but without the wife and daughter hearing from the other room. We'll see how it goes, I'm about ready to start taking shots, maybe even this weekend if they show up.

My main problem is the wife and daughter don't like me...solving...the starling problem, so I have to be stealthy to do it. Those damn things decimate our bird feeding station - they fight off every other bird aggressively, including the bigger scrub jays and even the biggest birds we get - the woodpeckers - I've watched them fight each other right on the station. And those damn flying rats come in in packs - usually 6 to 8 at a time.

It's hard for me to get an airgun shot off without my neighbors knowing, so I've switch tactics based on a co-worker's recommendation. I got a blow-gun and I've been practicing with it. My co-worker says he's taken a dozen or more of them with the blow-gun - says it's very effective once you get good at shooting it, and it's nearly silent, so I can sneak in a kill shot not only without my neighbors hearing, but without the wife and daughter hearing from the other room. We'll see how it goes, I'm about ready to start taking shots, maybe even this weekend if they show up.

They scream (really loud) and flop around a bit if they don't die instantly, so there's that. They truly behave like a pack of hunting raptors... it's kinda creepy. o_O

They scream (really loud) and flop around a bit if they don't die instantly, so there's that. They truly behave like a pack of hunting raptors... it's kinda creepy. o_O

Pack of raptors - that's about the best description I've heard. If Jurassic Park was right and the dinosaurs evolved into birds, the damn raptors must be the ones that turned into starlings.

At least I don't have to deal with this starling:

jodiefoster1_t607.jpg

Closer.....;)

When I drive to work downtown, I park in a lot under a bridge near my office. Although I'm fully prepared to encounter them (pretty much daily), it always makes my butt pucker for a moment to see medium size rats scampering to hide in the bushes. Especially coming out of somebody's sleeping bag.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top