JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys,

Just wondering if you could share your opinions on what the most invasive, destructive, annoying, universally despised animal that you can hunt in Oregon is?

What animal are we actually improving the area by removing?

And why?

-Sig

:DI hunted ground squirrels in Central Oregon for years!
Don't find them particularly despicable though, they're fun to hunt! On the other hand, they dig holes that break legs on livestock and they can cut down a wide swath of ripe wheat at an incredible rate!
We generally shot them with center fire rifles and the farther away we could spot and pop them the better! 250-500+yds.
Other thing we enjoyed, was find a brush pile that looked promising and roar up to it with the PU. One of us would be in the back with a short, 12ga, riot gun! Only rule, NO ROUND CHAMBERED! Blast every rodent in sight, laugh and giggle like psychotic little girls, drink some soda and move on!:D

OOPS!!! I misspoke, the other rule was, NO ROUND CHAMBERED UNTIL THE TRUCK STOPS!!! Wheels locked up and sliding to a stop? It's a grey area!:cool:

Last Edited:

IMmwuJG.png

When I was a kid we'd drive to the local dump and shoot rats at night with flashlights taped on our .22's ..........that'll never happen again!! We also shot tons of barn pigeons and starlings. In fact, I think some areas still have a bounty on starlings? We now have a ball shooting ground squirrels in Oregon. Although i don't really think of them as pests. Of course I'm not a farmer or rancher either!

For an airgun I'd use .22 caliber minimum and .25 caliber would be better. At an average of 12 pounds Nutria are larger then the average racoon and have been known to reach close to 40 pounds.
-
yes this .
Nutria tough and some get pretty good size . shooting many with .22lr match HP suppressed and body-shot will not stop unless you double or triple hit. head shot will drop on the spot .
.22lr match subs. you get around 60 ft/lb average impact energy at 100 yrd . and no way most 'average airguns' even come up to ft./lb impact energy that .22 rimfire subsonic vel. put out .

-
yes this .
Nutria tough and some get pretty good size . shooting many with .22lr match HP suppressed and body-shot will not stop unless you double or triple hit. head shot will drop on the spot .
.22lr match subs. you get around 60 ft/lb average impact energy at 100 yrd . and no way most 'average airguns' even come up to ft./lb impact energy that .22 rimfire subsonic vel. put out .

My 22 cal magnum air rifle is enough for nutria with head shots. It will penetrate a 3/4" pine board at 20 yds.That is at about 800 fps. 14 grn. pellet.Plenty of velocity, but short on energy because of the weight of the pellet. It might kill the nutria with a heart lung shot, but it would prob. take a long time for the animal to expire. I would only use mine on head shots on this size game.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top