JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was at browns camp and a truck full of "Latinos" pulled up with a bunch of kids and a pile of AKs and Glocks. When they started shooting it was clear that like half of the guns were full auto. I left asap and called OSP. The kids were running everywhere and nobody had ear plugs either.

At memalose once, a car full of russians pulls up and shoots next to us, they would argue and pull guns away from each other, then they would take turns kneeling down and resting the barrel on each others shoulders...then they leave and my friend who had to drink the whole time talking about how stupid those guys were, almost shot himself in the foot, squeezed the trigger off when pointed down, went right between his feet.

that was the last time i ever went shooting there or with him again.

I won't say where, or which location, but. True story.

Went on a course sponsored by a Correction Agency. The range was a large one used by them and police agencies. It was just below a maximum security prison.

The prisoners were down there to clean the range, before the late low light session began. One of the prisoners walks up, arms stretched out in front. He calls the guard Sgt., "Boss, I found this, I think you want it and I didn't know what to do with it". He was holding, in his out stretched arms, an AR16 full auto, supressed. Fully loaded. He was hoping with all the guns, he would not get shot on sight, so he was holding it upside down via the tac sling.

Seems a rather large police agency tac team doesn't know how to police up it's own weapons.

I later found out, the honest and very nervous prisoner, who may have actually been "sweating bullets", was given a number of extra special light duties for months after.

not at the range but took a buddy shooting when i first taught him how to shoot i educated him about AWAYS keeping the rifle pointed in a safe direction never assume its unloaded and never to trust the safety . he did not retain this very well.

well we are out shooting and i finish off a mag and turn to look at him only to see his AK pointed at me while he is looking at the action fumbling with a jamb or mis feed or something don't remember what the problem was cause i got real verbal with him.

his reply was the don't worry the safety is on that set me off. i lectured
him all the way home.

I keep a close eye on him now he has been safe.

I came across someone's family pet (Big beautiful white dog) at an outdoor range in Alaska, not really stupid, just sad. They didn't have the heart to even dig a hole for it. My dad and I left that shooting area.

Used to go to this quiet little spot off of I-90, well this time wasn't so quiet, as 45 minutes into my buddies and I shooting, a car full of people show up with and proceed to unload in their words a "half full keg of beer from last night". Asked them if they could wait to drink until we cleaned our brass up and they actually said NO! (while one of them is tapping the keg and the other loading a 12 ga. thats pointed at him!). We packed our stuff and left. That was the ONLY time I didn't pick up my brass and the last time I went to that spot.

I, myself, did the dumbest thing I have seen at a range. It was decades ago and I was entirely self-taught in the mysteries of gun handling. I was a visitor at the Albany range, and all of the "redneck gentlemen" there knew I did not quite fit in, me with my extended mag, folding stock, red-dot scoped shotgun---a rare sight in those days.

So, I amazed them with my accuracy with slugs, and finished shooting. I had counted my shots and knew the six round mag was empty. I racked the slide and poked the chamber to verify that the gun was empty. Then I closed the slide, pointed it at the ground about three feet in front of me, and pulled the trigger to release the spring tension.

BOOOOOOM! Gravel blew everywhere from the small crater in front of me. I shrunk down in humiliation and tried to be invisible. It seems that that extended mag actually held seven shells if you pushed too hard, and that a remaining shell was still held back in the carrier when I had probed for emptyness. The moral of the story is to rack the slide TWICE to check for empty!

The range had gone silent and all of the gentlemens' eyes were upon me as I hurriedly packed up to leave. Finally, as I slunk away, one of them enunciated without TOO much sarcasm, "Wal', 'et least it was DOWNRANGE!"......................elsullo

Once... just once I made the mistake of letting the slide forward on my 1911 and then dropping the mag while at an outdoor shooting spot. Seeing the hammer down, I still out of habit, pointed the gun down range but really only a few feet in front of me to "dry fire" it. I wasn't expecting it to go off, but when it did, my first reaction was to check that everyone around me was okay. I've never made that mistake again and have since triple checked my chambers.

Other than that, I've seen four-wheelers down range on the top of a known shooting hill just riding around like it's no big deal.

I saw something similar to that when I was at an OP in the DMZ in Korea. A soldier was at the clearing barrel. He racked the 1911, then dropped the mag. When he went to dry fire it, it went off and hit the guy across from him. The round penetrated his flack vest, followed the inside of his vest along his ribs, then went out thru one of the back vents. Needless to say the entire Battalion had to requalify on safeing our weapons. It reminds me of the potential that's present at Clown's Camp.

This is a second hand story from a close friend of mine. He was taking a 3 day pistol course at a very popular shooting school in Arizona. I won't say which one, but that last hint is a dead give away for some. The first day of class, the intrustor is going over safe handling of a firearm and pulls out his race 1911. He unloads it on the table and then explains the features and how to work the gun. He reloads the gun and pulls the trigger. BANG! A huge hole in the table. Everyone was shocked and my buddy couldn't stop shaking his head. He just paid $1000 to learn how to shoot from this guy.

A friend of mine was at a "gravel pit". there was a old car seat that people have been shooting. My friend carried his 10/22 down range to set up targets, he set his gun on the seat to set up a target on the bcak of the seat and forgot about his 10/22. He shot his 45/70 at the target, at about round 3 or 4 his 10/22 flew into the air. it destroyed everything but the barrel.

I turned up on our range - shared with two county police force firearms teams - just after the 'away' county team had left, in fact, they had passed me in their TAC van driving in the opposite direction as I had approached the range about ten minutes earlier.

Opening up the five-bar gate with its combination padlock, I drove into the range car park, but had to wait for another range officer to turn up and open the office before we could shoot. So, nothing daunted, I went for a stroll around the 25 yard point that had just been vacated by the cops - there were usually a pile of 9mm empties that they hadn't had the time or inclination to pick up - only to find a large cardboard box on ground adjacent to the firing point bench.

In this box were twelve Glock 9mm pistols, 24 loaded magazines and fifteen unopened boxes of Sellier & Bellot JHP ammunition.

Needless to say, I called the sergeant in charge of training as soon as I could obtain his number at the HQ - not a number I keep in my head - by explaining to the desk clerk who and where I was, and that I had found something belonging to the firearms team when I re-opened the range and that it would be best if the training sergeant give me a call, or better still, come back and collect the 'item'......

About 20 minutes went by, and then, with a great screech of brakes, the TAC van came hurtling into the range, and the whole team piled out, led by a very pissed-looking sergeant in full SWAT gear. He pushed past me, picked up the box of guns and ammunition, quickly counted the contents, and without a word to me, got back in the van with his team, who had spent the last couple of minutes giving me black looks, as though it had all been MY fault. The van then steamed off a very high rate of knots, just like in a Keystone Cops' movie, leaving me shaking my head in disbelief.

Three weeks or so went by, during which time I had expected to have heard something from the police, but nothing was ever said. So I sent an e-mail to the gentleman concerned, who, unsurprisingly, claimed to know nothing at all about it.

Until I e-mailed him a photograph of an otherwise empty range with the box of guns in clear view...:s0114:

He became VERY apologetic at having put a member of the public in such an invidious position - remember that modern handguns are prohibited here in England - and subsequently wrote me a letter of thanks for my 'public-spiritedness', whilst trusting that I would not publicise the mishap to anybody else to spare the department not only the embarrassment of the event, but a subsequent board of inquiry .

So this is the first time I've ever told anybody about it - apart from everyone in the club, that is....:D

tac

Many years ago my brother in law who is a self proclaimed outdoorsmen shot his dog while pheasant hunting. He wanted to continue to hunt but I explaind my dog is also my pet/friend, simply wouldn't risk my dog in front of his shotgun.

This was actually my old boss who told me this story,

But him and a co-worker of his when he lived in Arizona were shooting out in the desert and they were camping out there. They were drinking that night for a while and his co-worker decided to practice the ol' quick draw. My boss hide behind the truck to let him get it out, and he heard a couple of draws, then BOOOOM!!! And a slew of cursing. The guy shot himself in the foot. Idiot.

And I have to tell a story about by step-brother was changing his night sights on his glock .45 at work (LEO) he was in the Officer's locker room changing it when he accidentally fired it right through his foot! In a room full of cops. Apparently they never let him live that down.

This wasn't at a range, and I did not see it myself, but it is a useful story. My closest neighbor told me what he had done, not out of shame, but in complete amazement. He was a real woodsman and gun afficionado, highly skilled in both. One evening he was lounging on his bed and handling his empty Argentine Colt .45. Alas, it was not empty after all. He fired a .45 slug lengthwise through his clothes closet, putting a hole in the chest of every shirt and jacket that he owned. Then the slug lodged in the bathroom door jamb.......just as his Mother-in-Law was about to enter! His wife never believed that it was an accident and never forgave him....................elsullo :p

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top