JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
i just wish the people who want to trade me their "(Big 5)~8mm and 7.62X54R" Turkish battle rifles for premium merchandise
would post the offers up for all to see instead of doing it via PM or by phone. that would be awesome!

Here's one that I enjoy: I paid 350 for my pistol, I have a holster I paid 50 for, an extra mag for 50 and some ammo for 50. So I will sell this pistol for 500. WRONG, it's used and I'll pay you 300 for it, sorry but your extra stuff goes with it. Same as a motorcycle, your bling doesn't mean anything.

Here's one that I enjoy: I paid 350 for my pistol, I have a holster I paid 50 for, an extra mag for 50 and some ammo for 50. So I will sell this pistol for 500. WRONG, it's used and I'll pay you 300 for it, sorry but your extra stuff goes with it. Same as a motorcycle, your bling doesn't mean anything.

I wish I would have saved it, but there was an ad on here a few months ago where a guy was charging more than new price for his used pistol because it was "broken in".

As to the original question (what's wrong with an offer published on the thread itself), I see nothing wrong with it at all, although I do agree with the OP that there seems to be an "unwritten" understanding on this forum that such be conducted via PM. It SHOULD be a matter of personal preference, and buyers and sellers should not feel bound by increasingly common practice. If sellers are uncomfortable with open dealing, they have the option (as many exercise), to include a preventative phrase in the original ad: "PM me with offers" or such.

MY personal preference would be that the majority of deals be done out front and in the open, on the thread. This is no slight toward those with different preferences. My reasoning is somewhat selfish: I participate here largely for my own education. If the deal and bartering is done in the open on a gun for which I have moderate or serious interest (not necessarily directed toward purchase), I learn much more about the TRUE market value, than I would learn from an original asking price, and later, the thread marked "SOLD" (sprinkled with a number of "PM Sents").

Another contribution to my education gained from such open bargaining is toward procedure, etiquette and the like. I can learn what techniques work, what techniques are shunned, etc. I've been messing with buying and trading guns for a long time, but am still learning how to do it, and practices are changing in this arena. I might also learn more about which buyers (and sellers) to avoid, due to crudeness, flakyness, tire kickers, scheist-talkers, and the most frustrating of all: Arnold.

For those who don't see the reference, the Yellow Pages used to run an ad on TV : It featured a storefront labeled "Arnold's Carpet". Hand-held camera enters the store to find Arnold, and one carpet. Arnold is asked why he doesn't advertise in the Yellow Pages. Arnold replies, "Well, If I SOLD Arnold's carpet, it wouldn't be Arnold's Carpet now, anymore would it?"

The commercial ends with "Well, there you have it folks: Those who WANT to sell, advertise in the Yellow Pages. Those who don't, dont."

Precisely describes some gun sellers not only on this forum, but at many gun shows. Sky high unjustifiable price, and the gun sits and sits (or is carried from show to show for years). Worst case is when it is advertised as "or best offer", and yet all offers are declined (sometimes accompanied by insulting or dismissive remarks).

Addendum:

As advice to sellers (especially those preferring the private method): Open bargaining on the thread can be of benefit to the seller. Creates more of an "auction" atmosphere, where people can be caught up in the competition of it all, and might well result in a better price for the gun. Something to consider (if you aren't Arnold).

Perhaps the OP (like me), would like to see some instructions from a seller saying "offers made up front on this thread will be given special consideration", or such. I may try that, as a matter of fact, having just thought of it. Kind of the opposite of "PM me with offers".

I don't mind offers in the thread at all. I just wish people would make me an offer rather than lecture me about my price. It may be high or not, who cares. What matters is the price you offer and if i say yes or no. Done

Civility a side, it is the gentlemen thing to do, make any offer in private, ....online or not, negotiating between two civilized people should have the comfort and politeness of a private forum, such a PM...Especially in the event you are seriously contemplating a purchase.

If anything to avoid snowballing conversations, animosity, or to contemplate peacefully the offer you have been given.

As far as price, lo balling or hi balling, has nothing to do with the post, ...it's about posting offers publically. However, ....posted price is often not real value as has been stated and as such makes "lo balling" irrelevant to "posted price".

And yes, no feedback on price if you do not intend to buy, just laugh and move on....

Auction atmosphere is not something I like to deal with as a seller. Maybe as buyer in person...on a rare items.

SOL states a different personal preference than my own, with good justification.

I would not challenge his preference, but would challenge his evaluation that private offers somehow carry automatically a higher level of "gentlemanliness" than those made in the open.

I would reserve the benefits of privacy to the actual closing of the deal itself, where money/gun changes hands. NO reasonable offer (open or private) delivered courteously deserves any less respect or treatment than the other from me. (Unless of course, I had stated such beforehand.)

SOL states a different personal preference than my own, with good justification.

I would not challenge his preference, but would challenge his evaluation that private offers somehow carry automatically a higher level of "gentlemanliness" than those made in the open.

I would reserve the benefits of privacy to the actual closing of the deal itself, where money/gun changes hands. NO reasonable offer (open or private) delivered courteously deserves any less respect or treatment than the other from me. (Unless of course, I had stated such beforehand.)

Allow me to clarify that I do not believe it is ungentlemanly to inquire openly about the item, this helps others interested, and I do believe a trade should be offered openly as well when possible, if anything to help others not waste their time with trades that would not be accepted.

I think price and all transactions that carry a dollar amount, as well as details of the meeting should be private.

I will also clarify, i still firmly believe the private forum lends itself to a more conclusive and positive environment for the transaction. Hence my reference to gentlemanly behavior was not absolute in itself.

when the seller asks for a pm, or a call, I try to comply. Making an offer is OK but if you want a quick response comply with the contact method the seller asks for. I see so many threads with the sellers phone number get bumped up after a year with a "Duh is dis still fur sale?" post, from a newbie with 3 posts.

MY personal preference would be that the majority of deals be done out front and in the open, on the thread. This is no slight toward those with different preferences. My reasoning is somewhat selfish: I participate here largely for my own education. If the deal and bartering is done in the open on a gun for which I have moderate or serious interest (not necessarily directed toward purchase), I learn much more about the TRUE market value, than I would learn from an original asking price, and later, the thread marked "SOLD" (sprinkled with a number of "PM Sents").

+1 on that

Ive seen that alot lately, guy had a non working shotgun for 300, sxs, then said he wanted 600 trade value. Ridiculousness

Rarely is the book price=price someone is willing to pay cash for.

If somebody has a firearm valued at $700 listed by the book, and they know the current market(portland area) may only pay 500 cash---If they wanted an equivalent value trade, why would they "trade" for a gun that books at 500, but would only cash resale for less. I think that's what this is addressing, cash value<book value

when the seller asks for a pm, or a call, I try to comply. Making an offer is OK but if you want a quick response comply with the contact method the seller asks for. I see so many threads with the sellers phone number get bumped up after a year with a "Duh is dis still fur sale?" post, from a newbie with 3 posts.

I believe the "Number of posts" could be missleading, since it doesnt neccesarily indicate a pattern of consistency in buying and selling.

I think price and all transactions that carry a dollar amount, as well as details of the meeting should be private.

I would submit that the very definition of price would include any items of trade toward the purchase, and therefore have difficulty understanding a preference for public offerings of trade items, while disapproving of same with regard to money. I have been accused before of being dense, and have admitted same at least that many times, but here, I fail to see the distinction.

Certainly, details of the meeting are to be respected with privacy. This is a very good point. And, once again, I would never challenge personal preferences. The opportunity exists with any advertisement to state such preferences. Such preferences should be respected by all responders.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top