JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Saw an ad where a guy sends cash offer on the thread. Whats the problem with that.. Nothing, so why does it seem like a taboo to make cash or trade offers in threads, if nothing else it may open the door for someone else to make a trade if the OP doesnt want the offer.

whats your opinions

Saw an ad where a guy sends cash offer on the thread. Whats the problem with that.. Nothing, so why does it seem like a taboo to make cash or trade offers in threads, if nothing else it may open the door for someone else to make a trade if the OP doesnt want the offer.

whats your opinions

PM is a wonderful thing, that way you don't look like a jerk in public for lowballing the seller.

Absofunkly nothing.

Rhetorical question for Unkle. What's worse, low balling a seller or high balling a buyer?

I have never once thought someone a Jerk for offering me a less than favorable trade or a low price but I'm not as high strung as some of these guys. Delete and move on, man.

Welsh or flake on a sale and yes, you earn that title... and many more.

Just because someone posts their Glock for 600 bucks doesn't mean it is worth that or that the market will bear that price. So if I offer 500, which is much closer to actual worth, that makes me a lowballer? No, it doesn't, I just know what it is actually worth.

Offering less than full price of the posted sale price does NOT mean it is lowball, people seem to forget that.

Whether or not it is rude to post in the thread is a wide open topic to me, I don't see how it's rude to offer in the thread so others now what you won't take, so we can avoid the 4 PMs back and worth just to figure it out.

If you won't accept less than posted price, say FIRM, then if the guy offers less, yeah, he's a dumb dumb

Absofunkly nothing.

Rhetorical question for Unkle. What's worse, low balling a seller or high balling a buyer?

I have never once thought someone a Jerk for offering me a less than favorable trade or a low price but I'm not as high strung as some of these guys. Delete and move on, man.

Welsh or flake on a sale and yes, you earn that title... and many more.

I believe in being tactful. If someone is unrealistically high on the price ( which, is more often than not the case on this board ) yet it's something I'm interested in, I'll make an offer and back it up with examples of actual sales around the price I offer. I gave up on publicly calling people out on " OMFG!!! CRAZY HIGH PRICE " ads because it just isn't worth wasting my time....when it doesn't sell they'll get the idea.

As to the opposite end of the extreme....I can't count the number of times I've seen some DB offer half the asking price "cash!" then post their number, followed by getting pissed about a refusal or non-response....to those guys, all you are doing is adding yourself to a "do not deal with" list in my book.

Like I said, PM is a wonderful thing.....

Actually, I'm changing my stance Unka, you are right, a PM with examples of book and current sales prices is a good way to get across the same point, that it's overpriced. I have only ever PMd anyways due to seeing people getting flamed for posting offers in threads, but now I have a better tactic.

PM is where it's at. No one is offended, everything is person to person. It just takes "hurt feelings" out of the equation. There is however, a double standard. You are praised if you publicly back up someones "inflated price". If you call them out on it, you're thread-crapping. I guess that backs up Bennyhonda's "lowballing the seller, highballing the buyer" statement. I personally have met great people and made great deals on this site without offending anybody too badly(I think).

One that bothers me is they give a cash price, then a higher trade value. When I see that I don't even bother to respond, no matter how good (or bad) the deal is, even if I really want the item.

IMHO you need to start a little high on your advertised price, let it ride for a while and see what happens. and when i say a little high i mean a little high, towards the top end of the items value. if it doesnt sell or draw any offers close to what you are asking then consider dropping your price a little and see what happens. you cant raise your price later. a good example of that is the first rifle i offered for sale here 6.5x55 sweedish i listed for $200.00 right out of the gate a guy offered $225.00. I was like DANG it, ok sold. if you post a firm price and nobody hits what you are asking then i guess you get to keep it. i must say i have seen some crazy low offers, but even at that there is no need to get all pi$$y about it, just move on.

The value of pretty much anything sold here is going to be something different to every buyer and seller IMHO. Unless someone posts that their price is 'firm', then I think it is inferred that they will consider offers.
Also its pretty common for people to only read what they want to see in an add. You kind of have to have some thick skin when you are dealing in classifieds though.
My experiences have been mostly pretty good. And I have met some really super people buying and selling here.
If you end up running into someone who rubs you the wrong way just ignore them and move on.

Funny thing Unka, I make my offers via PM the same way you do.
I just don't think there's anything wrong with putting it directly in the post.
In fact, I encourage it along with low balling. It makes them more receptive
to my offer.

Just because someone pms you with a lowball doesnt mean someone wont take ofence to it, and really any " gun value " is subject to what someone else thinks its worth, I also love how alot of people take offence at lowballing but yet when its there turn to buy the balk at the idea of paying a litle extra for something that is in high demand.

One that bothers me is they give a cash price, then a higher trade value. When I see that I don't even bother to respond, no matter how good (or bad) the deal is, even if I really want the item.

Ive seen that alot lately, guy had a non working shotgun for 300, sxs, then said he wanted 600 trade value. Ridiculousness

As to the opposite end of the extreme....I can't count the number of times I've seen some DB offer half the asking price "cash!" then post their number, followed by getting pissed about a refusal or non-response....to those guys, all you are doing is adding yourself to a "do not deal with" list in my book.

So so true. I love when someone puts "cash" like I should be impressed that they are offering actual money instead of food stamps, firewood or sea shells.

I think y'all need to deal on Craiglist for a bit.Just sell little things like your children or dogs,I mean like fishing poles or any small items.
This will show you how good most dealing on this site are.

Or as stated just grow some thicker skin.Don't take offense and don't worry if someone does.

For me,unless it's just around the corner,if it has an outrageous price,I'm not interested in PM back and forth to get the guy to see the real value of his gun. I do find it funny that so many get upset when 'low balled'

"Nope" takes care of that.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top