JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I often use the site http://www.city-data.com/ to look up information on various communities.

They have a plethora of statistics on every town in America and often the results are surprising. Earlier today, my girlfriend said that her sister was planning on moving to Lafayette, IN since our company is opening a new manufacturing facility there and she is being offered a promotion.

I went to the city data site and was looking at the various statistics and then saw that the crime rate was pretty dang high.

National average is 280.5 while Lafayette was 355, latest data was 2016. I then did an internet search on crime in Lafayette and found a more recent article that stated that Lafayette had one of the highest crime rates in the country now. I relayed the info to my girlfriend, who said she will let her sister know.

Anyway, I've looked up crime rates on all of the past towns I've lived in and the highest crime rate I've lived in was over 400, in Marshalltown, IA. Yep. First time I heard gunshots in a city was there. First time I had to pull a gun on someone was there. Meat packing plant in town employed mostly illegals from Mexico and they were intent on turning this idyllic little midwestern town into Mexico.

So, seeing the surprising results on Lafayette reminded me how even seemingly peaceful small communities can harbor a crime problem.

My current town of Palouse, WA has a crime rate of 25. Yep. 25. Nearby Pullman, WA is not bad either at 165.

What's the crime index number for your town?

BTW, the absolute highest crime index number I've seen was Yakima. For the year 2005. An astonishing 668.1!

An amazing 1060 auto thefts that year!

yakima.PNG

the parking lot across the street from my house (not literal, but you know the idea) is number one in Washington County. #2 is CPR.
Mostly smash and grabs. TriMet park & Ride, of course.
CPR is favored by highly paid idiots so you are likely to find laptops or cell phones (many have multiple - personal / work...)

Surprised to see my city has been dropping in crime over the years. Looks like it had a high of over 500 back in 2003, then high 400"s the next year, followed by a couple years in the high and low 300's, then a few years in the 200's, then staying in the high 100's for the rest with the exception of 1 year breaching the 200 mark again and as of 2016 was at 165. I'm in Albany Oregon.

Actually looking at the stats show a downward trend. Lowest number since 2002....

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top