Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Whats the brightest mountable flashlight for my shotgun?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by FireArm, Aug 16, 2012.

1. FireArm

FireArm Beavercreek 97004 Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

I have been looking for a bright High output flashlight for a shotgun, I lost a dog and 3 chickens to the coyotes recently and have seen them on my pouch the last few nights. I tried to shoot one and could not get it while it was in the light of the porch light. I need a long range mountable flashlight? I have a insight flashlight on my 229r but its not bright enough and any surefire model I have found are nice and in the right direction but I do not want to buy a $150 dollar flashlight only to find out its not bright enough. Should I be looking for a led or bulb style light? how many lumens? looking for something that will light up to 75yds. Any info will help me decide. Reviews of Flashlight? thanks.

2. Darknight

Darknight Salem Active Member

3. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

The PA arms one above is great, but if you need a smaller light with almost the same light, the PD32 or PD30 from Fenix comes very close (315 lumens). About the same price. It is a solid light and can handle the SG recoil. Offset mounts are available for it.

I am a 'light nut' and have a Mossberg with two mounted, one on both sides :).

4. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

dp

5. Darknight

Darknight Salem Active Member

I agree that the Fenix is a nice light, however the Primary Arms UWL comes standard with a picatinny rail mount and a pressure switch and is 380 Lumens and because of it's size and light weight would look really bad on your shotgun. The Fenix requires a pressure switch and a mount and is only 315 Lumens. But, Burt is right, the Fenix is smaller.

6. biggie24420

biggie24420 Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

Look into a LED LENSER MT7. It's 220 lumens and it has focusable head... meaning it does not have the traditional shiny cone shaped reflector inside the head, instead the head has this magnifying lense that allows you to throw the light out pretty far. It uses four AAA batteries (included), nice gold plated connectors and it's shock proof. The body is an inch thick so if you can find one inch ring(s) you can mount it on your shotgun no problem. The focusable head is where it's at because the 220 lumens doesn't sound like much until you actually use the light at night or in low light situations. Leatherman now owns LED LENSER so service should not be a problem and the head of the torch (flashlight) can be locked into place. I got mine for under $70 shipped but feel free to look around.

Youtube some reviews... check out nutnfancy's led lenser shot show review.

MT7 by LED Lenser

7. Mason3379

Mason3379 Oregon City Active Member

Check this one out. You can get just the light for $102 bucks. I put it on my AR-15 and had the chance to check it out a little over a month ago. It will light up what you need light well beyond 150yds with the focused beam. I love this thing. It uses the standard TLR back housing with the High Output focused bell on the front.
    My buddies were impressed as was I with this light!
    Streamlight 69216 TLR-1s HP Long-Gun Package

Just make sure it is the TLR-1sHP!

Dan

8. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Take a look at these, Tactical Hand-Held Series - PolyTac® LED HP | Streamlight I own lots of different lights from Surefire and Streamlight. This light has a very narrow focused beam and works great on rifles out to 100-150 yards. Nice thing is they cost about $50 on sale at Buy Mart all the time.

They are rated at 150 lumens which in distance goes about 2x the length my 200 lumen Surefire SureFire 6PX which is my daily carry light. The 6Px will really light up an area but only out to 75-100 yard. The only downside to the Streamlight HP is the larger bezel so it is not really good for slipping in a pocket.

Need a way to mount it, well a 2 pack of 1" rings cost less then $20 and work very well.