JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'll agree with wakejoe, diesel or any good automotive solvent that doesn't evaporate at room temp. At one of the machine shops I worked at we would get cutting tool holders from Europe and we just leave them in diesel over night ( or over the weekend) and clean them in the morning.

Oh, and use a good copper solvent and a good bore brush for the green gunk, it's copper fouling that has turned into verdigris. Be sure to use a bigger brush on the chamber area. I use Shooter's Choice but Hoppes makes a version, too.

+1 on the steam. I've cleaned up a few mil-surp guns with a cheap clothes steamer I bought at K-Mart for about $60. It also has the benefit of "lifting" dents and dings on the wood.

I restored an Aussie Lithgow Enfield stock this way.. I bet it only works on unvarnished wood, though. The Lithgow was and once again is an oil based finish stock. patience is required on the bigger dents..

I soak everything that'll fit in my parts cleaner which is filled with Ed's Red. The acetone component is good for removing cosmo.

Anything that won't fit in the parts cleaner gets hosed down with brake cleaner. Same thing as Gun Scrubber (benzine) but much cheaper.

-- Sam

I regularly use brake clearner to remove cosmo. It eats the stuff! Rinse with boiling water, and let it dry completely. Warning about brake cleaner: it will remove some varnishes and damage some plastics. So stick to wood and metal.

+1 on steam cleaners. Especially for hard to reach cracks and crannies.

Paint thinner is great for surface cleaning. But slower than brake cleaner when removing cosmo.

Kerosene. Seriously, kerosene will do it. Gasoline has too much benzene and other ickys in it that are bad for you and has a lower flash point (ignition heat flash off) that can make you an unintended "martyr"..
By the way, Vin Diesel's photo is disturbing. He needs a bra!:s0114: Greydog.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top