JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have the set that you ordered. They work great. I really like that you can turn up the volume to hear people talking and that they shut off automatically after 4 hours. I also double up.

The only down side is when shooting rifles. The size makes it tough to get a good cheek weld so you need to adjust a little.

Within the context of hearing protection, how do you define "reasonable" In terms of cost, How much is too much and why?

I buy custom molded non-electronic ear plugs from Hocks in Portland. Cost approximately $120 per set if you get the plugs in different colors (red for right, blue for left) and attached to each other by non-removable nylon cords. These work fine for any outdoor situation I have ever come across. They are made from pure silicone, fit well, and filter out all excess noise while still allowing some sound to get through that is within the normal range.

When I work indoor ranges I then use a set of over-ear muffs as well, and these muffs are rated at around 33 dB. This system has worked well for me for many years.

Within the context of hearing protection, how do you define "reasonable" In terms of cost, How much is too much and why?

I buy custom molded non-electronic ear plugs from Hocks in Portland. Cost approximately $120 per set if you get the plugs in different colors (red for right, blue for left) and attached to each other by non-removable nylon cords. These work fine for any outdoor situation I have ever come across. They are made from pure silicone, fit well, and filter out all excess noise while still allowing some sound to get through that is within the normal range.

When I work indoor ranges I then use a set of over-ear muffs as well, and these muffs are rated at around 33 dB. This system has worked well for me for many years.

Just looked at the Hock's website, that's the kind of thing I've been looking for! Did you get the standard or the noise breakers? Do they do the ear impressions or do you have to do it yourself?

Just looked at the Hock's website, that's the kind of thing I've been looking for! Did you get the standard or the noise breakers? Do they do the ear impressions or do you have to do it yourself?

I always have just gone into the store and had them do ear impressions directly. I have not done it myself.

How are you liking your purchase ? Good price ...

I actually have not had a chance to use them neither at the range or outside. I am itching to get out and practice its been a few months and I feel lazy. It the weather hold I should be going out to the Ranch Sunday I will report back how they worked. I should be at the indoor in a couple weeks too.

Ok I ordered these on Amazon, will give em a try,
Howard Leight by Honeywell R-01902 Impact Pro Sound Amplification Electronic Earmuff. For 65.00 free shipping
View attachment 270869
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007BGSI5U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

View attachment 270869

Well I took these out this morning ended up having a good day and free time.
These are amazing, could hear a whisper and yet the discharging of a firearms was like watching TV. Not lough or over the top the volume control worked well even doubling up.
Only issue impossible to use on basically any rifle they are just too big to get down low enough.
For being around others or handguns. superb. In the items defense I knew they were not small muffs. Well next time maybe I will dive in and find smaller muffs as I have heard they make low profiles.

I just looked at my Excel expense sheets (I keep track of every cent I spend and categorize it) and on 3/4/2014 I paid $55 for a pair of custom molded silicone earplugs. I went to the guy's house near 122nd & Burnside (I think) & he made them while I waited. You almost have to screw them into your ears but man do they block out noise!! I have a significant mid-range hearing loss (lots of shooting w/o plugs when I was a teen) and also tinnitus but when I put the plugs in I can almost hear my heartbeat. The guy's name is Kevin Shaw & he's a bit eccentric but I can't find a phone number for him.

I was standing next to a guy shooting a F/A .50 BMG Ma Deuce so I used the plugs & my electronic muffs. Even then it was pretty loud.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top