JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Whats the Best - Reasonable Priced Hearing Protection ( non-electronic )

I am looking for something that works I have Tinitus( ear ringing) and slight hearing loss, I still can hear within reason well no aids but if I meet you and say what a few times thats why. Average medium loud noises are annoying to my ears at say Id say anything above 65DB starts to be annoying even vacuum cleaners are too loud and after time ears will hurt so I tell the wife anyways :rolleyes:So obviously firing a 40cal or AK, 7mm Mag etc are well exceeding my comfort levels.
I wear hearing protection in the shop area and mowing lawns.

I wear right now most the time some bought at Bimart Winchester Muffs with inserts too to double up. But not really how I want to do it.

I have looked at electronics but so many seem to have way to high a DB reduction to really be an option. So looking for something to use that works better and when I say reasonable, not wanting to really spend over 60.00 right now.

I am really a novice to the hearing protection stats. I always grabbed what ever and shot with it even kleenex stuffed in the ears. ( ya I know but this was how we did it back then and paying for it now ).
Ive always worn eye protection after I watched a guy near blind himself back in the late 70's so would even wear my dads old thick rimmed safety after that but hearing guess I seldom thought of that until it hurt.

Idea please, and pictures or brands helpful.

Thanks.

I have looked at electronics but so many seem to have way to high a DB reduction to really be an option.
what does this mean? "too high DB reduction".... isnt that what earmuffs are supposed to do?

I finally bought a pair of electronic muffs, Peltor brand.... what a difference, I can hear people talk normal (volume) to me and all the loud bangs fall silent. I have tinitis too and partial hearing loss, similar to how you describe... I actually like the electronic muffs I turn up the volume and for once I dont have to ask anyone to repeat....

Ok I ordered these on Amazon, will give em a try,
Howard Leight by Honeywell R-01902 Impact Pro Sound Amplification Electronic Earmuff. For 65.00 free shipping
412xe%2B2UTkL._SY355_.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007BGSI5U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

412xe%2B2UTkL._SY355_.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of the electronics, I have a pair of Howard Leight lightweight muffs, but don't find that they stop much from the shots, probably because of my glasses. I prefer the foam ones from the drug store underneath the electronic ones.

I'm not a huge fan of the electronics, I have a pair of Howard Leight lightweight muffs, but don't find that they stop much from the shots, probably because of my glasses. I prefer the foam ones from the drug store underneath the electronic ones.
I will be doubling up, hoping enough sound work through to hear better, but having a pair that has that option might help me since doubling up makes in impossible to hear much of anything hoping this gives some king of balance. We have some prettyloud firearms so protection a must for me so I dont go deaf.

I think if you turn up the volume on the electronics with the foam plugs underneath you should be ok. I really wish I would have tried the electronic muffs earlier. What a difference it makes when talking to others at the range.

Anything made by Silencerco. Expensive on the front end, but still cheaper than a pair of hearing aids :D

Seriously though, I've found that I have a hard time wearing muffs while shooting rifles. Something about my head/neck shape, ear height, etc makes the muffs become dislodged on the right side when I get a good cheek weld. I tend to stick with foam earplugs with rifles and simple muffs from Bi-Mart when shooting pistols. I'd like to try some of the electronic muffs at some point in the future, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Anything made by Silencerco. Expensive on the front end, but still cheaper than a pair of hearing aids :D
I always thought Peltor was the best, back in the day. Made in Sweden. I guess the deal now is that 3M bought that company.. they still make hearing protectors.
Oh, and as I think ever other swangin has said, jam some foam deep and use some high quality overheads. what was the obvious

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top