Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Whats the Best - Reasonable Priced Hearing Protection

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by DuneHopper, Dec 30, 2015.

1. DuneHopper

DuneHopper Douglas County. Well-Known Member

Whats the Best - Reasonable Priced Hearing Protection ( non-electronic )

I am looking for something that works I have Tinitus( ear ringing) and slight hearing loss, I still can hear within reason well no aids but if I meet you and say what a few times thats why. Average medium loud noises are annoying to my ears at say Id say anything above 65DB starts to be annoying even vacuum cleaners are too loud and after time ears will hurt so I tell the wife anyways :rolleyes:So obviously firing a 40cal or AK, 7mm Mag etc are well exceeding my comfort levels.
    I wear hearing protection in the shop area and mowing lawns.

I wear right now most the time some bought at Bimart Winchester Muffs with inserts too to double up. But not really how I want to do it.

I have looked at electronics but so many seem to have way to high a DB reduction to really be an option. So looking for something to use that works better and when I say reasonable, not wanting to really spend over 60.00 right now.

I am really a novice to the hearing protection stats. I always grabbed what ever and shot with it even kleenex stuffed in the ears. ( ya I know but this was how we did it back then and paying for it now ).
    Ive always worn eye protection after I watched a guy near blind himself back in the late 70's so would even wear my dads old thick rimmed safety after that but hearing guess I seldom thought of that until it hurt.

Idea please, and pictures or brands helpful.

Thanks.

2. thorborg

thorborg portland oregon Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

3. 2beaucoup

2beaucoup Kent, WA Member

4. DuneHopper

5. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

@DuneHopper you may find that one type will work for things like shooting - a sharp / fast report
    and a different type for stuff like saws, mowers - a droning on.

DuneHopper and Dyjital like this.
  6. Larrytpdx

Larrytpdx Portland, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

7. geometro

geometro PDX Active Member

+1 for Howard Leight Impacts and doubling up on Foam or Surefire plugs as necessary.

pietro beretta and DuneHopper like this.
  8. Koda

Koda Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

what does this mean? "too high DB reduction".... isnt that what earmuffs are supposed to do?

I finally bought a pair of electronic muffs, Peltor brand.... what a difference, I can hear people talk normal (volume) to me and all the loud bangs fall silent. I have tinitis too and partial hearing loss, similar to how you describe... I actually like the electronic muffs I turn up the volume and for once I dont have to ask anyone to repeat....

blackadder likes this.
  9. NWGlockgal

NWGlockgal Oregon Well-Known Member

10. DuneHopper

Tony617, 2beaucoup and v0lcom13sn0w like this.
  11. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w Keizer, or Well-Known Member

DuneHopper likes this.
  12. Silver Hand

Silver Hand Southern Oregon Coast Well-Known Member

DuneHopper likes this.
  13. blackadder

blackadder Everett Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I'm not a huge fan of the electronics, I have a pair of Howard Leight lightweight muffs, but don't find that they stop much from the shots, probably because of my glasses. I prefer the foam ones from the drug store underneath the electronic ones.

DuneHopper likes this.
  14. DuneHopper

I will be doubling up, hoping enough sound work through to hear better, but having a pair that has that option might help me since doubling up makes in impossible to hear much of anything hoping this gives some king of balance. We have some prettyloud firearms so protection a must for me so I dont go deaf.

blackadder likes this.
  15. B5Ben

B5Ben Boise Well-Known Member

I think if you turn up the volume on the electronics with the foam plugs underneath you should be ok. I really wish I would have tried the electronic muffs earlier. What a difference it makes when talking to others at the range.

blackadder and DuneHopper like this.
  16. Silver Hand

Any ear protection will work just fine,plugs or muffs don't matter, if you use them they work fine.
    Silver Hand

17. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

Anything made by Silencerco. Expensive on the front end, but still cheaper than a pair of hearing aids :D

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    DuneHopper and B5Ben like this.
  18. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

Seriously though, I've found that I have a hard time wearing muffs while shooting rifles. Something about my head/neck shape, ear height, etc makes the muffs become dislodged on the right side when I get a good cheek weld. I tend to stick with foam earplugs with rifles and simple muffs from Bi-Mart when shooting pistols. I'd like to try some of the electronic muffs at some point in the future, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

19. Silver Hand

Cotton stuffed in your ears is better than nothing.
    Silver Hand

20. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I always thought Peltor was the best, back in the day. Made in Sweden. I guess the deal now is that 3M bought that company.. they still make hearing protectors.
    Oh, and as I think ever other swangin has said, jam some foam deep and use some high quality overheads. what was the obvious