JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just got a 1943 moisn nagant this past weekend. I did a deep clean on it and the barrel has some blemishes. It also has some what appears to be rust and some scratches on the top and side. Beingt I picked it up for 50 bucks I am not to worried but still would like it to look nice. So I was wondering what is the best paint to use that will survive the high heat? I cant seem to find any info on paint itself.

Thanks y'all...

What do you all think of this?

http://www.krylon.com/products/bbq_hitemp_paint/

Or this??

<broken link removed>

I have always found BARREL PAINT to work very well.
I would clean the rust, completely douse the metal in CLP, give it a good soaking 2 or 3 times and call it good.

:s0092: Maybe I am the slow kid in the group here but how is CLP going to restore a finish on a gun?

If you are going to put a new finish on it (paint, Duracoat, powder coat, parkerizing, ect) you will need to clean all the rust out. CLP is awesome for cleaning rust and other stuff. Once the rust is gone you will need to completely degrease (remove all the CLP) the gun prior to "painting" it..........

If you use CLP or other cleaner to remove the rust and you are into bare metal you will either need to do something to prevent rust. You will either need to put a finish on it, always make sure it has some kind of protectant on it like CLP or other gun oil, or keep it free from moisture and O2.

If your on a budget,use engine Hi-Temp paint and bake it on or use some cold blue.Heat and clean the parts up before ya apply the cold blue making sure ya use gloves to keep from getting oils on the metal.

If ya want to remove rust,get either naval jelly or prep and etch(homie depot or lowes) and us it to remove the rust.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top