JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Savage Rascal is everything the Cricket could be, but isn't. It has a fantastic trigger (how can one go wrong with the accutrigger), a much better bolt, better sights and a better overall feel of quality. My boys love shooting the one my friend bought for his kids, definitely worth the price difference.

This is the gun I would buy:

• MODEL NUMBER: 8306
  • CALIBER: 22 LR
  • StockBlack Synthetic
  • Capacity10
  • Overall Length35.75"
  • Barrel Length18"
  • Front SightFiber Optic
  • Rear SightAdjustable
  • Thread Pattern1/2"-28
  • Length of Pull12.50"
  • Weight5.3 lb.
  • MaterialAlloy Steel
  • FinishSatin Blued
  • Twist1:16" RH
  • Grooves6
  • Suggested Retail$389.00
  • Includes two interchangeable compact length of pull stock modules that provide comb height options for scope or iron sight use. By simply removing the rear sling swivel stud, stock modules can be changed in seconds. Standard stock modules are available at ShopRuger.com.

• Features detachable, flush-mounted 10/22® BX-1 10-round rotary magazine and accept all 10/22® magazines, including the BX-25®, BX-25®x2 and BX-15®.

• Easy-to-use 10/22®-style extended magazine release provides smooth, no-fuss removal of flush-mounted magazine.

• Patent-pending Power Bedding® integral bedding block system positively locates the receiver and free-floats the barrel for outstanding accuracy.

• Ruger Marksman Adjustable™ trigger offers a crisp release with a pull weight that is user adjustable between 3 and 5 pounds, allowing shooters to make that perfect shot.

• Ergonomic, lightweight black composite stock (designed for quick, easy handling) blends a classic look with modern forend contouring and grip serrations.

• Features a visible, accessible and easy-to-actuate tang safety that provides instant security.

• Cold hammer-forged barrel results in ultra-precise rifling that provides exceptional accuracy, longevity and easy cleaning. Threaded barrel features a 1/2"-28 thread pattern and a factory-installed thread protector

• A 3/8" rimfire scope base is machined into the receiver, which is also drilled and tapped for Weaver® #12 bases (not included).

• A 60° bolt provides ample scope clearance and the easy-to-use, receiver-mounted bolt release allows the bolt to be readily removed without requiring a pull of the trigger, a unique safety feature among rimfire, bolt-action rifles.

• Also includes: Williams™ fiber optic front sight and adjustable, "V" slot, folding-leaf rear sight; sling swivel studs.

This is the gun I would buy:

• MODEL NUMBER: 8306
  • CALIBER: 22 LR
  • StockBlack Synthetic
  • Capacity10
  • Overall Length35.75"
  • Barrel Length18"
  • Front SightFiber Optic
  • Rear SightAdjustable
  • Thread Pattern1/2"-28
  • Length of Pull12.50"
  • Weight5.3 lb.
  • MaterialAlloy Steel
  • FinishSatin Blued
  • Twist1:16" RH
  • Grooves6
  • Suggested Retail$389.00
  • Includes two interchangeable compact length of pull stock modules that provide comb height options for scope or iron sight use. By simply removing the rear sling swivel stud, stock modules can be changed in seconds. Standard stock modules are available at ShopRuger.com.

• Features detachable, flush-mounted 10/22® BX-1 10-round rotary magazine and accept all 10/22® magazines, including the BX-25®, BX-25®x2 and BX-15®.

• Easy-to-use 10/22®-style extended magazine release provides smooth, no-fuss removal of flush-mounted magazine.

• Patent-pending Power Bedding® integral bedding block system positively locates the receiver and free-floats the barrel for outstanding accuracy.

• Ruger Marksman Adjustable™ trigger offers a crisp release with a pull weight that is user adjustable between 3 and 5 pounds, allowing shooters to make that perfect shot.

• Ergonomic, lightweight black composite stock (designed for quick, easy handling) blends a classic look with modern forend contouring and grip serrations.

• Features a visible, accessible and easy-to-actuate tang safety that provides instant security.

• Cold hammer-forged barrel results in ultra-precise rifling that provides exceptional accuracy, longevity and easy cleaning. Threaded barrel features a 1/2"-28 thread pattern and a factory-installed thread protector

• A 3/8" rimfire scope base is machined into the receiver, which is also drilled and tapped for Weaver® #12 bases (not included).

• A 60° bolt provides ample scope clearance and the easy-to-use, receiver-mounted bolt release allows the bolt to be readily removed without requiring a pull of the trigger, a unique safety feature among rimfire, bolt-action rifles.

• Also includes: Williams™ fiber optic front sight and adjustable, "V" slot, folding-leaf rear sight; sling swivel studs.

Great minds think alike ;)

When you say it's 'too big' - is that too heavy? LOP too long? I'm guessing she's likely not shooting off hand at this stage or lugging it around in the woods?

Though it's not 'kid size', I would recommend the Ruger American Rimfire. I have one myself and it's a pretty darn compact and lightweight gun. The action is very good as is the trigger. Bonus is that it uses standard 10/22 magazines. It will shoot shorts, longs and long rifle. Has a fiber optic front sight, and it's very accurate out of the box. If you get a chance, maybe pick one up at a gun store and see how it feels. The nice thing is that she can grow into it, whereas the Cricket will eventually be too small. Just a thought.

Note: be sure to look at the "compact" models, they have a shorter LOP (12.5" for the compact, 13.75" for the standard). If you ever need to extend the LOP on the compact model, Ruger sells the longer LOP modules for the stock.

View attachment 285401

Doh!

Didn't see your note at the bottom.

Still though after owning a gunsight scout with the adjustable LOP adapters, I would recommend just about any gun that has that feature.

Makes my Ruger feel like it was built just for me.

Doh!

Didn't see your note at the bottom.

Still though after owning a gunsight scout with the adjustable LOP adapters, I would recommend just about any gun that has that feature.

Makes my Ruger feel like it was built just for me.

It's hard to deny that Ruger makes some very fine guns.

My Ruger 10/22 is single shot!

Put one bullet in. Get one shot out. That is by definition single shot.

Do you think the OP meant he wanted a Muzzle Loader?

There are also magazines which accept just one round for 10/22s if you really need those.

When you say it's 'too big' - is that too heavy? LOP too long? I'm guessing she's likely not shooting off hand at this stage or lugging it around in the woods?

Though it's not 'kid size', I would recommend the Ruger American Rimfire. I have one myself and it's a pretty darn compact and lightweight gun. The action is very good as is the trigger. Bonus is that it uses standard 10/22 magazines. It will shoot shorts, longs and long rifle. Has a fiber optic front sight, and it's very accurate out of the box. If you get a chance, maybe pick one up at a gun store and see how it feels. The nice thing is that she can grow into it, whereas the Cricket will eventually be too small. Just a thought.

Note: be sure to look at the "compact" models, they have a shorter LOP (12.5" for the compact, 13.75" for the standard). If you ever need to extend the LOP on the compact model, Ruger sells the longer LOP modules for the stock.

View attachment 285401
I would second the vote for the Ruger American Rifle. At the same time, I taught my 10 year old sons on a 10/22 Sporter. I think the problem with the "T" model is that the barrel is too cotton pickin' heavy. The Sporter is noticeably lighter.

the crickets are pretty junky guns. I've run into a few of them in Appleseed shoots. I'd recommend a Ruger 10/22 carbine with the cheap wood stock, new for <200. If you are concerned about single shot, get a couple spare mags, teach her as standard protocol to prep each mag with only one round, insert, cock, fire, remove, insert new, etc. Once you're certain she's doing all that safely, let her start prepping the mags with five or even ten. After a couple hours using it as a single shot and she's safe, I'd say she's on her way.

If LOP is too long, remove the butt plate, set up a chop or radial arm saw, and slice off 3/4 inch pads until you get to where she needs to be. As she grows, drill a small hole through the slice, use about a 1 1/4 inch sheetrock screw and reattach that slice. Repeat as necessary. When she's all growed up and still wants to shoot, and doesn't want to buy her OWN gun, simply go find a take-off wooden or plastic stock in standard size.

As far as the comment made abot Rugers getting dirty.... I bought my first one in 1980, shot it off and on for years, using whatever ammo I had around or could mooch, never cleaned it (yeah, bad boy) then, finally in about 2012 or so, after using it myself and loaning it out to at least half a dozen others for a full weekend Appleseed (+/- 500 rounds each) it finally started getting sluggish sometimes on a cold humid day. I'd been using bulk brick ammo most of those years. Probably 8 or 10,000 rounds total by then. I finally cleaned it out, rrelubed it, it works like brand new and can still hit the steel plate at 100 yards first try... IF you will. Pretty amazing rifle.

Try and pick up Anschutz Achiever .22 LR online. It has multiple inserts for the buttstock that allows a kid to grow into a longer length of pull over time.

I bought a cricket for my daughter several years ago. I'm not impressed with quality or accuracy. An acquaintance had a Henry some years back and I helped him clean it. Unless they've improved, I would never buy one myself; too much plastic and pot metal for me.

I did pick up an old Savage single shot for $50 a while back, with the intention of shortening the stock and barrel both to minimum legal, but never have and probably won't. I found a cut down 10-22 stock at a gun show for $5, and that works.

So I took my 10 year old daughter to the range with me the other day and let her shoot my 10-22T off the bench. She loved it and now wants to go shooting again. The 10-22 is too big for her, so I'm thinking about getting a compact/youth rifle for her. How are the cricket rifles for small framed kids? I've heard they can be hard to cock for some kids. I want to teach her gun safety and think the single shot rifle will work better than a semi auto like the one she shot the other day. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..

For those who have a Ruger 10/22 and need fit it to a smaller shooter, I suggest swapping the standard stock with the TacStar Stock M4 Tactical Collapsiblestock. Midway sells it for $120. The pull can be adjusted between 10 1/2" and 14 1/2" inches in 1 inch increments. Teh comb is the proper height for scope too. I have coworker with a 4th grader that is going to do an Appleseed and the Ruger stocks are too long for him, even the American Rimfire style stock with short butt. The stock will take either the standard barrel or the.920" diameter target barrel.

I would love to find a used Cricket in a pawn shop or the alike for cheap but I have never found one. I would like to try the "plastic pipe survival stock" thing. I would prefer one with a beat up stock but I have pretty much given up on ever finding a used one. Of course at only $114 at Walmart it is not an insurmountable issue.

Does anyone out there have a Cricket in the closet that they would like to get rid of?

My daughter learned to shoot with a Springfield model 15 single shot .22
While not an "upper shelf" rifle , the trigger pull was good and sights were decent.
I still see them for sale from time to time at shows for around $100.
Not a bad deal.
Andy

Does anyone out there have a Cricket in the closet that they would like to get rid of?

Yes. But it has a very pretty finished (by me) walnut stock, not a beater. The trigger is still bubblegum. Seriously.

Just forgot, I have a Contender Carbine and one of those barrels are .22 LR. I think it's 21" but I'm also guessing they were available in 16". Mine is the hideous version with the stainless frame and black plastic stock. It's an option but opening the action might be a bit much for smaller kids. I bought another buttstock for it and cut it down for my boy when he was small but he never had much interest in guns except in games :rolleyes:. Oh well. I can't blame the public schools either because he was home schooled. I guess some kids are not going to be gun nuts, that's all...

If we're not talking single shots, I've long had an itch for a Marlin Papoose.

This "kid's first .22" issue is interesting. I started with an inexpensive single shot bolt .22 that Dad had traded for in 7th grade then reworked the stock. The large aperture peep and gold bead front made sighting easy. Having to chamber a round, close the bolt, then pull the cocking knob, tended to keep a kid's concentration more on aiming than on pulling the trigger rapidly. I do recall that when I was small, cocking took a lot of effort. Slipping off the tapered cocking knob could result in an unintended discharge.

When my first kid reached eight, I bought him a Chipmunk single shot .22 which served well until he grew.

When the next kid turned eight, she received the Daisy .22 bolt gun that was designed and sold specifically as a "first gun." I went for the homely plastic stock because it was adjustable for length of pull.

When the next kid turned eight, I spent a bit more and got a Thompson Center Contender Youth Carbine. They had a second barrel sale going, so I also grabbed a .223 barrel, which later proved to be great fun. The package came with a pistol grip. The Youth Carbine just has a shorter walnut stock than the stamdard carbine. You can always buy a standard stock when the kid grows (that kid is 6'3").

Every kid is different. But I feel many are better off starting with something other than an autoloader. Once they puck up the basics of safe handling, aiming, trigger control, etc. I think they make better use of an auto with less wasted ammo.

The Crickett seems to be a cheaper Chipmunk, with trigger guard molded into the plastic stock. I am not terribly impressed, though I acquired one a few years ago, and later turned it into a "backpack rifle" with a stock of 1" PVC.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top