JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking to buy a cheap ($400 or less) .308 for hunting, but I would like for it to hold a 1" group or less at a 100. I've had the Remington 700 SPS Tac, but it's too heavy for that purpose.

Does such a rifle exist?

Thanks
OR

Savage model 11 in .308 from Bi Mart on sale. as to the one inch group thats about 20% rifle and 80% shooter. My sons model 111 in 30-06 will do a 1-1.25" group with Remington 150 gr SP facotry ammo and less then 1" with my 150gr handloads.

Although I have no experience with one, the new Ruger American is available in .308 with a MSRP of $450. You can (probably) throw that in with the excellent Savage 11. The Savage Axis might also work out.

As Mark indicated, group size is based on many variables, shooter ability, optics, shooting platform and ammunition. I've seen people that couldn't shoot a 1 inch group if their lives depended on it... but I've taken absolute n00bs, and in less than a 1/2 hour, had them shooting 1/4" groups with a 6PPC benchrest rifle.

Cheers,
C

The savage axis and the ruger american are both good starters the trigger on the american is like marlins copy of accutrigger, axis has a harsh trigger pull but I believe it is adjustable, I like the ruger and its fair priced where I work

Was just at Vancouver Bi-Mart today and the Remington .308 was on sale with a decent scope for $459, the Savage .308 without scope was $545 not on sale.

The savage definitely looked to be the better built of the two, with a smoother bolt action and heavier looking barrel, but they both looked like they'd spell doom for any Elk.

I just got a .308 Ruger American Rifle NIB for $360 yesterday. That included shipping and background check. The rifle has an excellent finish on the barrel and receiver, trigger (on mine) is crisp with no perceptible creep (dry fired). I'm pursuing a Leupold 4-12x40 scope for it. Now, admittedly I have not shot it yet, but I have researched and have read nothing but great reviews about its accuracy. BTW- It also has a full free-float barrel.

I got mine from an FFL holding member here, TZS Gunfire. Drop him a PM about one, and tell him Stomper sent ya! :s0155:

I just got a .308 Ruger American Rifle NIB for $360 yesterday. Now, admittedly I have not shot it yet, but I have researched and have read nothing but great reviews about its accuracy.

An excellent deal and a good choice on the optic. Looking forward to your review Stomper.

Cheers,
C

OK, just scored my Leupold VX-2 4-12x40 w/ adj. objective... crappy cell phone photo, but you get the idea!

308RARjpg.jpg

.308 Ruger American Rifle - $350
Leupold Scope - $400
Leupold QD rings - $63
Background Check - $10

The look on someone's face from 500-600 yards... priceless!

Stomper, let us know how that rifle shoots after you do go out would ya. I'd be interested to know if they hold MOA or not. That's a nice rifle BTW. Thanks.

I've been looking at picking up a Ruger American. Here in Central Oregon, the going everyday price seems to be $350. Big R and Wholesale Sports have it for $350 for their everyday price. Wholesale Sports was selling the .30-06 American for $250 during their "4th of July Sale"! I misread the fine print and realized too late that their 4th of July sale ended on July 2. I'm thinking that another sale like that will pop up around Labor Day.

I like that rifle. Very light, decent action. Lots of plastic, but that's fine for me. The only thing I don't like is the "two stage" trigger with that little blade of a trigger that you push first. On the ones I handled, it worked fine if I placed my finger on the trigger in a relaxed, calculated manner . . . but when I tried quickly going from cycling the bolt to a shooting grip, my index finger pushed that blade sideways and it jammed against the main trigger. And when it happened, it wasn't immediately obvious what was going on - the trigger just felt stuck. I checked the safety and made sure the bolt was closed entirely before I figured out what really happened.

Stomper, let us know how that rifle shoots after you do go out would ya. I'd be interested to know if they hold MOA or not. That's a nice rifle BTW. Thanks.

OK, I wound up with some spare time, got a wild hair and took it to the 100 yrd. general purpose range @ TCGC yesterday. The first thing I did was took the bolt out and did a rough eyeball boresighting (literally... LOL) of the scope to at least get it to hit the 2x3 target board (that took 6 rounds).

I used up the remaining 34 rounds I had to walk it into 2" groups. Now keep in mind, this was a spur of the moment, unprepared range trip, and the ONLY .308 ammo I could find in Woodburn was some low-end American Eagle 150grn. FMJBT for $16.50 a box. Not exactly precision shooting stuff, and getting 2" groups with that stuff is about all one can ask for.

As for the rifle itself, it worked great. I've always been a semi/auto rifleman, but as I got more settled into it, operating the action became more natural. I want to lighten the trigger pull a bit, but it broke crisply as was. Its a good thing it has a decent butt pad, because at just around 7lbs. (total) this bolt gun KICKS! Its an "event" every time it fires.... LOL!

With more practice and obtaining quality ammo, I have no doubts I'll have this thing within 1 MOA. Right now I could bag game with it as is. For a $350 rifle, I have no complaints.

OK, I wound up with some spare time, got a wild hair and took it to the 100 yrd. general purpose range @ TCGC yesterday. The first thing I did was took the bolt out and did a rough eyeball boresighting (literally... LOL) of the scope to at least get it to hit the 2x3 target board (that took 6 rounds).

I used up the remaining 34 rounds I had to walk it into 2" groups. Now keep in mind, this was a spur of the moment, unprepared range trip, and the ONLY .308 ammo I could find in Woodburn was some low-end American Eagle 150grn. FMJBT for $16.50 a box. Not exactly precision shooting stuff, and getting 2" groups with that stuff is about all one can ask for.

As for the rifle itself, it worked great. I've always been a semi/auto rifleman, but as I got more settled into it, operating the action became more natural. I want to lighten the trigger pull a bit, but it broke crisply as was. Its a good thing it has a decent butt pad, because at just around 7lbs. (total) this bolt gun KICKS! Its an "event" every time it fires.... LOL!

With more practice and obtaining quality ammo, I have no doubts I'll have this thing within 1 MOA. Right now I could bag game with it as is. For a $350 rifle, I have no complaints.

Thank you. I actually went by a local shop where they had one. About the only thing I could notice that wasn't a positive is it seems the buttstock is somewhat low. Meaning when I shouldered the weapon and got a proper cheek-weld, it seemed my eyes were aligning with the bottom of the scope mount. It could be me but did you have any issues looking through the scope? Did you have to adjust your cheek weld to a higher than normal position?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm really considering this rifle. As to the grouping that ammo has never shot well for me either. Truth be told though the Nosler factory is 20 min away, I've always have had the best luck with Hornady.

Hornandy is exactly what I want to try next, if I can find any that is. The comb height does look a bit low, but I didn't really notice while bench shooting, and I need to put at least another 40-60 rounds through it to "settle in" with this rifle. Ruger does currently offer a free cheekpad when you register your rifle with them, which I have alredy done (just have to wait for shipping). Here's the link for more details; Ruger American Rifle™ Cheekpad Offer . Hope that helps!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top