JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
ATT everywhere I've been.

I've compared identical phones in cities with download speeds between ATT & Verizon at the same time and att came out on top.

I've also never had a cheap device either. They can make or break your service.

If you bump service to the Xfinity, I don't think for the price point you can go wrong.

Verizon, seems best, but also probably most expensive. has worked for me all over U.S. as well as Canada, only place it did not fair well was Challis, Idaho for some reason..LOL

I have a tale of great & crappy service on two lakes that I frequent.
I love fishing lake Merwin but while there are two cell towers there I have NO Verizon service AT ALL!!!
A new to me lake that is a lot closer than Merwin (1 hour closer) that has no visible cell towers but has Mega Verizon service...
I think that new to me lake is my new home...:p

Another vote for Verizon. But as others have pointed out, each area is different. I have been up in the Cascades hunting and have gotten a signal in very remote places. Recently I was hiking at Sunrise, Mount Rainier and got a signal near Frozen Lake. I was really surprised! But also disappointed because the guy hiking in front of me was on his phone giving someone a running commentary about his hike.
Luckily due to all the competition, fees have been coming down. My plan gives me coverage in Canada and Mexico. Two years ago while visiting Canada, I had to pay a daily access fee and for each individual text or talk minute. Now it's all included and my plan costs less.
Recently I was thinking about switching to T-Mobile because their prices are much cheaper. But the wife and kids all revolted because they have many friends on T-Mobile and they call complain about the poor service. But if you're planning on spending time in Europe or Japan, T-Mobile has the advantage. On VZW, I had to pay $10/day to use my phone in Europe or Japan. T-Mobile gives you free text and (2G) data as part of your plan.

When there was 3G and 4G was the coming thing, I complained to Verizon because I had a new phone capable of 4G, but was only getting 3G at my home. They sent me a signal booster that worked well until there was better 4G coverage. This was provided free, learned the cost was around $240 if bought retail. I will pay it forward to someone that can use it, shopping cost only. I seems to only boost the signal from 3G to 4G, not necessarily signal strength, as I understand.

When there was 3G and 4G was the coming thing, I complained to Verizon because I had a new phone capable of 4G, but was only getting 3G at my home. They sent me a signal booster that worked well until there was better 4G coverage. This was provided free, learned the cost was around $240 if bought retail. I will pay it forward to someone that can use it, shopping cost only. I seems to only boost the signal from 3G to 4G, not necessarily signal strength, as I understand.

There are places ATT blows VZW out of the water, literally. For example, my Verizon phone gets no signal at Hagg Lake but ATT customers get service enough to make voice calls. At best I can get a small text msg out. Sending a pic does not work.

That said... my biz partner is a SAR guy. He's itching to switch to Sprint from Verizon, as they got a FedGov contract to build a 100% coverage, network nationwide - the idea is 0 blind areas. Blanket the whole US - and emergency responders will net priority on the network during critical events. They also do a discount for emergency personnel I guess. So when they get that done he's pushing for us to ditch Verizon and switch our business account to Sprint.

Great responses all around! I really appreciate the feedback!

I bit the bullet and went T-Mobile. I got the Samsung Galaxy S8 and family planned 3 phones (really wanted the 9+ but...).

First outing in the woods was Mt Hood up the NF 45 road and had really good signal there. Performance all over the Portland metro area has also been good and haven't experienced any trouble so far. (I chock up a lot of the performance improvement to simply switching phones, from a several year old ZTE, to a Galaxy S8!). You can bet, I'll be checking reception at the cleanup in Tillamook Forest this Saturday.

So, I'm set for now. But as technology and services change so rapidly, I wouldn't doubt it if we need to revisit this conversation again soon! Seems like nothing lasts forever anymore! :D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top