JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
data and statistics can be made to dance to anyones tune.

face it the only reason you defend the 9mm is that the guns are cheaper and the ammo is cheaper.

Last Edited:
Thank goodness it's as good as. I was afraid they just bounced off. not like a 9mm that will blow a hole big enough to throw a bowling ball through.
it's a wonder they use artillery anymore with the 9mm being so amazingly effective.
all other calibers will soon disappear, given the penultimate superiority of the 9mm.
Isn't it time for your nap? Or don't closed minds need naps?

data and statistics can be made to dance to anyones tune.

face it the only reason you defend the 9mm is that the guns are cheaper and the ammo is cheaper.

No, it's because I'm cheap, LOL. :)

Because I'm not certain that 9mm isn't about as good as others, I like the tiny guns that they include free in each box of ammo. :)

I don't like carrying a big heavy gun and as they say, the best gun is the one you have with you. That's a tiny 9mm auto. :s0010:

Cheers

I hear you. Have you ever shot a living creature? haha

I've taken enough souls to know that a well placed shot is about 90% of what goes into killing a living creature. Always sad for me to see a stray round clip the lower spine or a non vital area... I try to follow it up with a well placed 2nd shot as soon as possible. No sense in letting any animal suffer. Plus less holes means it's going to be easier to skin and gut.

I can't tell you how many critters I've killed (we've all killed plenty of animals either through direct ways of hunting or indirect ways through grocery stores/restaurants). I use a .177 break action air rifle with a peep sight in my backyard. Outside of the backyard is a different story. Since I've started counting about a year ago (notching the buttstock) and have 42 notches thus far for only squirrels. Most first shots are deadly since they tend to impact eyeballs but head shots are not always viable or practical given each situation. My black lab enjoys eating them quite a bit. Point is is that the caliber one decides to shoot makes a substantially smaller difference than where the projectile makes its entrance and exit. A .22 to the face or heart will damage anything much more than a .45 to the forearm.

I think you were being sarcastic but hard to tell over the internet :) regardless, it's worth adding some life experience into the never ending 9mm vs 45 acp debate.

There are a lot of sleepers out there, in this day and age of $2 a pop poop. And then there's "hollow points"! that are pretty well worthless (which is remarkable), whatever the price point. That's code for if they paid you big dolla to carry that, you'd be pretty stupid to do so.

I ended up with PDX1 124 +p s for a ridiculous price after searching online hours for a premium 124 grain HP bullet in 9mm. They're just not available right now. Even the 147 was all out of stock in the good brands. They had some 147 +p (cause not many want it) and some of the underwood +p+ GD stuff.(again, because not many want it.)

I also got some of that 115 grain Federal JHP that guys had measured at +p speeds more than once. I read it was surplus RCP stuff. I dunno... I figure it might feel good in my little pocket 9mm.

I'd really like to get some of those HSTs though. Portland Police are said to be very happy with those. Though I'm not sure if they're using the 124 or 147..... I forget now.

I like the Hornady TAP or XTP in 124 grain flavor - but I wouldn't shy from any of the "top" defensive rounds - I like Gold Dots, HST, Golden Sabres, Winchester Ranger SXT's... any good hollowpoint in 124 grain or even 147 grain flavor is good to go for me. I'm not a super fan of 115's or the weird 135 grain stuff for anything but target practice.

I've tried other stuff - and I've got some of the Sig Sauer 124 grain and some of the Hyperclean (or whatever it's called) 124 grain stuff in the carry rotation as well, I put a bunch of both through my M&P compacts and they shot very flat and functioned like any other round.

Reading this Thread you see a lot of people throwing High Velocity Numbers nailed to there 'choice' of Factory defense ammo choice . About everybody I know with a 9mm daily carry is carrying Sub-Compact . And with that you have an average of about 3.5" from Muzzle to Breech-face in that category of barrel length .
That's Pretty short . It's Good for daily carry and concealed but you do get a 'Loss of Velocity' with using your high performance factory high-$ dollar Defense Ammo .
Also. ( I would Not be Surprised ) if majority of factory published advertising specs. on there High Dollar defense ammo is done by minimum of 4.5" to 5" barrel length for more positive performance with better sales .
9mm 115 to 147 grn weight Ammo . Are advertised Factory big Velocity #'s of even your hot Defense +P ammo what it claims running out a Sub-Compact model .
---
For choosing your ' Best 9mm defense ammo' . For me, daily carry with a G26 . And for using factory defense 9mm ammo, I prefer 147 grn. weight, looking for the best good hard ft/lb energy @ (extreme short range) impact .
So I went through a few factory brands & ran them threw the Chony. for Vel. check . I settled on the Remington Golden Saber 147hp . It been a while since I tested but I think I even squeezed about 15 to 20 fps. more with Golden Saber over that of the Fed. Hydra-Shok 147hp with my little G26 .

Also, for what it's worth . The best 9mm ammo to carry, Is what you got .The ballistic gel tests on pistol fmj flat-points bullets . They look to be no slouch on the deep penetration and expansion . So really I would not even be opposed to even having a good +p flat-point 147 grn as enough personal defense ammo needed for me in the sub-compact .

Hornady critical defense in the home gun.

FMJ bulk in my carry gun; never know when you may wanna shoot thru a wall or door...

J/k - i use those hornedy HP in my carry also.

I stick with 115g because thats what I train with. (Although I sometime get the 124's).

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top