JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As a beginner to firearms, I've been asking some basic questions & learning a lot thanks to the many replies. I know this is probably a can of worms and I don't know if this is the right forum to ask this question, but what do you all recommend for the best 9mm self-defense ammo? I carry the Glock 19 Gen4.

After watching the YouTube Channel of TN9Outdoors and some other random articles, so far my conclusion is the Speer Gold Dot 147 grain. Also the fact that most police use this ammo pretty much clinched it for me. But I know that people swear by & love the Federal HST 147 grain as well. TN9Outdoors & Hickock45 both seem to crown the HST as their favorite and carry it regularly. I also know that the Hornady Critical Duty 124 grain is another highly recommended one.

Obviously shot placement, training, etc. are much more important than what type of ammo one carries. I realize that the differences between these ammo may be so small that ammo selection probably doesn't really matter. But all things being equal, is there a favorite/recommended ammo that all of you have? Thanks in advance for all your answers.

Personally, I'll go with the +P+ 115gr Gold Dots going well over 1500fps. For 9mm, they more than anything most approximate the old 125gr .357 magnum round.. and we know the stats/history on that.

Check out this channel https://www.youtube.com/user/BrassFetcher. He is a pro not a you tube hack. He tests ammo for police forces and such.
All you can do is see which brand does what you want it to do.The gel tests aren't perfect but give you a side by side test of each brand and how it expands and how far penetrates.
The best defensive ammo is the gray matter between your ears, and the bullets that fly straight and true hitting your intended target.
Like Arleyg says the most important thing is your brain. Most ammos will do the job....if YOU do yours.
No, target ammo isn't as good as most defense ammos,but in a pince,placed right, will stop a threat.
Now if you look up handgun efficiency,well that's another thread.
I always pick the ammo with the prettiest box,as long as there is a huge cavity for the "hollow point"

9mm 4.7" CZ barrel, left to right
115gr Hornady Critical Defense 1038fps, 124gr Remington Golden Saber 1052 fps, 124gr Federal HST +p 1156 fps

10mm Auto 3" Glock, 180gr Speer Gold Dot 1220 fps, 180gr Hornady XTP 1248 fps

IMG_1963_zpsef814d8f.jpg IMG_1965_zps318271b9.jpg IMG_1968_zps4a3aee04.jpg IMG_1961_zpsededea18.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
img_1968_zps4a3aee04-jpg.235482.jpg

That girl on the left is pretty wicked. But where were we? Not that that's a 9.. And that's the reason the 9 is so viable these days. For actual effectiveness on the target.. not because "girls" now carry handguns or capacity or even cost and or gun wear.. their (the FBI) case is essentially actual effectiveness on target per shot. The reason given is that the powers that be, the manufacturers and user (it's so commonly used), more engineering has been laid into the "lowly" 9 projectiles as to make it more than eminently viable.. indeed, they say it's actually tops.
anyway

for sure, no real reason to scoff at a 9 these days for the reasons you mention. I have all kinds of badass handguns but my go to is a CZ 75

the one on the left just met its match in sheer velocity, too fast for the plated Gold Dot.....probably stay together much better in 40 S&W

be a good choice for urban carry though, it stopped shorter than even all the 9mm I recovered .....it dumps energy right now !

What runs thru your gun?
What can you shoot most accurate?

In my limited testing, I found in short barreled (PF9 / Shield) that heavier bullets (147gr) worked better.
In standard sizes, G17, it didn't matter.

What ever you decide upon, be sure to run enough thru that you are confident with it -

In the old days, and even to this day, the 158gr JHP/JSP .357 magnum is pretty much a joke when it comes to deer.. or humans. Zip right through.. but I understand the concept and what. Why then do people reach for that magic ring in the 147 9 and not even in a "magnum" +P+ offering? kinda odd

In the old days, and even to this day, the 158gr JHP/JSP .357 magnum is pretty much a joke when it comes to deer.. or humans. Zip right through.. but I understand the concept and what. Why then do people reach for that magic ring in the 147 9 and not even in a "magnum" +P+ offering? kinda odd
The "ringer" for "small game" (lol) was/is the 125gr .357 magnum and not the 158.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top