JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I thought I'd toss this out there for discussion. Do you have any books on your reading list for this year preparedness-wise? If so, could you care to share the titles and why you made such a selection?

I've try to, as a general rule, to always have something preparedness (or at least tangentially related to said) in my daily/weekly reading mix. It doesn't always happen, of course, but the goal is to keep moving on the topic. The end of the year was more than a little gonzo, so I'm kind of late getting into the next batch.

Anyway, I figured it might be interesting to discuss. Cheers.

Two I make a point of re-reading as often as I can.

Jack-Knife Cookery
by James Austin Wilder.
If you can find a copy of this classic ( originally from 1929 , mine's from 1946 ) its well worth reading.
Filled with tips on how to get by with a "boy Scout" or basic "Swiss Army " style knife .
Also written with a excellent sense of humor.

Camping and Woodcraft by Horace Kephart.
Another oldie ... but still useful .
Lots of information on what and how to get by with using whats around you in the woods.

My third and final is a old U.S. Department of Commerce booklet.
You Can Make It for Camp and Cottage. ( 1930 )
A "how to " make book with topics how to make just about anything for your cabin from secondhand or scrap wood and items.

Granted these books are all old and out of print.
But well worth searching out.
All are filled with ideas on on to make your own gear , re-work / re-purpose items or help you out when the batteries , GPS or any other High Tech items fail.
( or you forget to bring them )
Andy

I've taken an interest in on an old-timey cooking methods.
Pioneer cooking is not just historically interesting but just might be useful again someday.

The Way We Ate: Pacific Northwest Cooking 1843-1900
by Jacqueline B Williams

This is a sequel to her previous book
Wagon Wheel Kitchens: Food on the Oregon Trail

Hey guys, thought I would add my book collection and thoughts.

My father's a retired natural products chemist and have had a habbit from when I was younger to take any books he had no more need for. I can't stress enough if you find any volumes of the Merck index to snag them. Heck in my bug out bag I keep a pocket reference book in a Ziploc bags.

A Merck index can be a great combination to books helping you out with medicinal plants.

I have a love for books industries/universities just toss. One of the coolest finds I made was a book from Germany written in English that gives specific doses of plants to corresponding ailments.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top