JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well... here ya go!!!

I really love grilled lamb chops, but my local grocery store hasn't been selling them since about the time the scamdemic started last year. So I tried some lamb shoulder chops. Marinated 'em and threw 'em on the grill the same way I do the straight chops. They are NOT the same. No, not at all. But tonight, I tried something a little different...

I had a package of these shoulder chops in the freezer, so a few days ago I took 'em down to the reefer to thaw, and tonight I rubbed them with olive oil and fresh garlic cloves, then pan-seared them. Then I put them in a covered dish and baked them at 350F for a half-hour. During that time, I finely chopped up some more fresh garlic cloves, crushed some rosemary sprigs, and tossed in a 1/2 cup of orange juice. At the half-hour mark, I poured this braising "sauce" over the chops, turned them over in it a few times so they got coated really good, and covered them again and continued baking for another 20 minutes. Then, I took off the cover, turned the heat way up to like 550F, and braised those suckers while turning them a time or two, spooning more sauce over them with each turn, and watching 'em like a hawk so they wouldn't burn.

While all of this oven-ing was going on during that first half-hour of baking, I took the juice from the searing and made a brown gravy, added some sliced baby criminy 'shrooms, a "healthy dash" of red wine, and let that simmer. Made some baby red mashed 'taters and steamed up a package of mixed veggies, and put together a mixed baby spring greens artisan salad and relish plate. Timed it all perfectly to come out at precisely when the chops were done...

It all came together swimmingly. Those chops were fabulous! The OJ in the braising sauce surprised me with a pleasantly sweet taste to the meat, much like what you would expect a mint jelly to do (of which I did not have any). So the OJ was a real home run right there! Here's the finished product...
View attachment 877954
That sounds really good! I definitely prefer lamb over mutton (shudder), but have never tried cooking any on my own.

Glad to see and hear from you, Sobo.

By the way, where's the pistol? This is still a firearms forum after all.

That sounds really good! I definitely prefer lamb over mutton (shudder), but have never tried cooking any on my own.

Glad to see and hear from you, Sobo.

By the way, where's the pistol? This is still a firearms forum after all.
The SIG P365 (summer EDC) was on the desk in my home office at the other end of the house. I didn't feel like hobbling all the way there and back for it.

My SIG P320 w/WML (winter EDC and nightstand gun) was on the coffee table in the living room. Half the distance to the 365, but still didn't feel like hobbling over and back to get it.

My SIG 1911 C3 in stainless (kitchen gun) was in the drawer right behind me where the pic was took. Felt it was close enough that I could leave it in the drawer... :)

So, a little Asian cuisine tonight. Threw in everything but the kitchen sink, and 1.5 tbs of crushed red pepper flakes. Mmmmmmmmm, good! And spicy!
Y'all pipe down and don't give me any grief that the last two dinners I've posted have not been from the grill. I'm still on injured reserve, ya know.
But I'm expecting to grill a NYS steak this weekend. That'll put your hearts at ease, I trust... ;)

Spicy chicken stir-fry.JPG

NYS steak, and some leftover sides from the braised lamb shoulder chops a few nights ago...
NYS steak.JPG

NYS streak_MR.JPG

Good lord man! If you can sit down and eat all that, you can't be feeling too terrible. That's a good thing!
Hydrocodone and gabapentin helps... Better living through chemistry! :)

Spaghetti with red sauce (to include Italian sausage, fennel, sun-dried tomatoes, red wine) and a basil and parmesan cheese garnish and a nice salad...
Delizioso!!!
Delizioso.JPG

Spaghetti.JPG

Beef and bloccori tonight...

View attachment 883885
We had Sandwiches on .98 cent a loaf Winco bread with Campbells Bean with bacon soup. Splurged with a sliced avocado and cantaloupe on the side.

I've always been the chief cook here. Done pretty good too. Since I lost my sense of taste and smell, in the last year, it's getting more and more difficult to get excited about cooking. Things I really love to make and eat are dwindling. Something like my well loved potato salad isn't so enjoyed now. Rice is something that never moved me, unless it was flavored or had stuff on it. Now I'm using it more.

What you've got going on there looks wonderful!

Since I lost my sense of taste and smell, in the last year, it's getting more and more difficult to get excited about cooking. Things I really love to make and eat are dwindling. Something like my well loved potato salad isn't so enjoyed now.
My God, Mike! Did you catch the 'Rona last year? :eek:

Is that why the loss of taste and smell?

My God, Mike! Did you catch the 'Rona last year? :eek:

Is that why the loss of taste and smell?
I don't know? I haven't even had a cold in like three years. I've wondered about that though, having it with no symptoms what so ever. The senses didn't just disappear in one day, all of a sudden. As far as I know that can't tell if you've had the rona after, what did I hear?...6 months?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top