Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

what's it worth?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by clarthom, May 10, 2011.

1. clarthom

clarthom oregon Member

I have a 1960s era Marlin 30-30 that I would like to sell to a friend of mine to finance my next purchase. I don't want to over charge him but I want to get a fair price for this rifle. It is in pretty good shape, only a few small scuffs and such on the but of the stock. I know what I paid for it 4 years ago ($175) but I don't know what it's worth.

if someone could throw out a reasonable price range I would appreciate it.

2. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Depends on what model and condition. I assume it is a model 336 but there are several variations of that model.

3. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I've seen some in pretty bad condition that people were asking more for. Seems like a good deal on the surface.

4. pioneer461

pioneer461 Columbia County, Oregon Active Member

Is there a Marlin collector's group on the Internet?

5. RW-Ore

RW-Ore Oregon Well-Known Member

marlinowners.com is what I think your looking for.

6. firstbassman

firstbassman Southern Willamette Valley New Member

There's lots of good info on the Marlin Owner's Forum, it's the best place for Marlin info. But I've noticed the prices you see there (it's a nation-wide board) don't always match up with the ones here in the PNW.

Mostly I see 336's go for $325-375, depending on condition and model. You can probably find your exact model with some digging on Marlin Owner's. The older ones don't usually last more than a week on the used gun rack around here (Eugene, OR area).

Straight grips and octagon barrels are found on special, harder-to-find models and then the prices can go up quite a bit.

7. clarthom

clarthom oregon Member

ok thanks for the info guys, i'll look into those forums and i'm leaning toward $225, it's not perfect but it's a great usable rifle. I find there is a big difference between a great usable rifle and a rifle that makes the gun closet look good. those $300+ prices couldn't be for a usable rifle, way too high.