JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have lived in WA state most of my life and about 2 years ago, I had to move to NY state for family reasons.

I knew NY state was one of the toughest states for firearms owners but I had no idea how much BS you had to wade through to obtain a pistol permit. Mind you, this is not even to conceal carry. This is a permit, just to be able to purchase a handgun.

1. You must request an application package via mail. Can't just print it out as that would be too convenient.

2. Obtain 4 character references (2 in your county and 2 anywhere else). So basically if you just moved to the state and don't know anyone, you are pretty much screwed.

3. Take a safety course (4 hour course on a Saturday). This I don't really mind as I have seen some folks that don't know which end the bullet comes out of.

4. Submit your application along with your course completion cert. You have to bring it downtown to the pistol permit office in person, again because just mailing it in would be too convenient.

5. Get finger printed at local PD or office they designate for you.

6. Interview with local PD (6 months, yes, 6 months after my app was submitted). Mine was done via phone but I hear some PDs actually come to your house.

7. After the 4 character references are checked by the local PD, the application is sent back to the Pistol Permit office to be prepped for a review by a Judge.

8. After the Judge approves it, the pistol permit office sends you a letter allowing you to go to the store and purchase a gun. The store will issue you a purchase coupon, which you will take back to the pistol permit office and they issue you the permit with the pistol information on it (rinse and repeat if you purchase multiple). You now take the permit to the store and pick up the gun.

Now, my application has been sitting at the Pistol Permit office for about 6 months now waiting to go in front of a Judge, where it will probably sit for another 6 months...

So far, I have 13 months in to this process and will probably be another 3-4 months before I get my permit.

I did put in for a conceal carry or Unrestricted as they call it but I know that will get turned down as 99% of them do and get a restricted permit. Will have to put in for an upgrade months down the road and that will probably take another year to process. :mad::mad::mad:

Be thankful you live in a free state (or somewhat free to some) :)

o_O

I am sorry you had to move and not just for the gun issue. Most folks in the Pacific Northwest really do not know how good we have it but Bloomberg and his friends are trying to change that. Living in Idaho myself I just walk in to a shop fill out the 4473 and they call it in, if you have an Idaho permit no call in and you just walk out.

After you go through all that to get a gun you start to wonder what right you truly have as they treat it as a privilege by allowing you to have a gun if they think you're trustworthy.

Well I wish you luck on the process and I hope all is well with the move and you someday soon get to come back this direction.

I remember when I went through that crap when I lived there. Total suck! I too was issued a restricted license but I appealed via mail to my interview judge that I liked to stop to eat after shooting and sometimes go to the gun shows and I wanted the unrestricted so I would be following the letter of the law. Got it approved in about a week if I recall correctly. Don't miss it one bit!

I am sorry you had to move and not just for the gun issue. Most folks in the Pacific Northwest really do not know how good we have it but Bloomberg and his friends are trying to change that. Living in Idaho myself I just walk in to a shop fill out the 4473 and they call it in, if you have an Idaho permit no call in and you just walk out.

After you go through all that to get a gun you start to wonder what right you truly have as they treat it as a privilege by allowing you to have a gun if they think you're trustworthy.

Well I wish you luck on the process and I hope all is well with the move and you someday soon get to come back this direction.

Thanks DSAPT9. It is definitely not a right as they make any excuse to deny your permit or draw out the process as long as they can. By law I believe they have to process it within 6 months IIRC but most folks in my county go about 2 years to get one.

Good grief. How SO many people are okay with that crap and keep voting for it over and over again is so beyond me. It's like people want to be ruled under a dick-tater or something :(

There have been many law suits against the SAFE act and have made small victories but nothing to brag about. They threw out the law that you can only have 7 rounds in your 10 round mags...yeah good luck enforcing that one. In a state with highest rate of corrupt politicians, I doubt anything will change any time soon. All they want here is your tax dollar.

you start to wonder what right you truly have

Smart fellow. Rights are an 18th century fantasy. What you do have is will.

There is always the black market. If you really want to arm yourself, you can do so. If you don't like the risk, you can (and should) move to another state.

Those are your choices.

Note, there are lots of people in NY who like the procedure as difficult as possible. Who are we to complain? Let them live with the consequences of that choice, and you should live with your own kind. Washington state needs you, NY does not.

People will learn eventually that restricting arms is a good way to have lots of crime. That's how concealed carry became so widespread. It takes time, but they figure it out.

I moved to California in 71 and finally got out last year. I will NEVER live in a state that does that to its citizens. If Oregon starts that, I will move again..

oh emmmmm geeeeeee! it's finally here!

Took 13 months but my permit is here!!!!!!

Got it over the weekend and going to the store today to see what I want to purchase! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!

So the moral of the story is to roll on into town with your own guns? sounds like it to me.. and to not live there
So now you get to pick which 19-shot CZ 9mm to get?.. sweet!

So now you get to pick which 19-shot CZ 9mm to get?.. sweet!
I wish! lol

bubblegum this makes me sad :( to she what people behind the enemy lines have to do
it is, isn't it?

I assume gunshops in NY do not stock many handguns seeing how difficult it is to buy one.
to my surprise, they are pretty well stocked. They usually have a back log of thousands of applications at any given time and that is the main part of the reason for the delay.

Sorry but I would rather move my family across the country to me.

Or adopt a new family.

I shopped around but the new family wasn't really up to my par. :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews