JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Depends where you are heading. Most trails have plenty of folks and you most likely don't need to carry a sackload of mostly useless crap. For years I'd go off trail into the nowhere with a waterbottle and a bar (clif/protein etc). As I aged I became less bulletproof and started carrying a pocketknife I can deploy quick and flip open with 1 hand after being stalked by a cougar once ( I started inviting the dogs out more often as well). Now I have a stuff sack full of 10 essential things I want with me. I never look in it so hard to say exactly whats in there, but the important things are lighter, whistle and a lightweight space blanket. None of which have been used....yet. The other addition is Gaia on a cell phone after shocking myself twice trying to dead recon a spot in the woods and missing both times.

When I was young it was not uncommon to head out into the woods with a brother or 2. There were a few times where I went off walkabout and I was forced to sleep over with a lightweight POS coat on the ground while waiting for the sun (and warmth) to find my way again and learned it's a not a big deal most of the time. The 2 tricks are try to get a few boughs onto the ground to insulate, and keep your arms tucked in as close to your body as you can. It's always a long interesting night.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top